• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

This thread got a re-boot.  Maybe the DCEU should do the same:whistle:.

Whether we as fans like the movie or not is irrelevant.  The general audience didn't like it and that is reflected in lack of attendance.

At what point can we admit that it's a "flop".  I'm almost there (and I did like the movie).

11 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Whether we as fans like the movie or not is irrelevant.  The general audience didn't like it and that is reflected in lack of attendance.

At what point can we admit that it's a "flop".  I'm almost there (and I did like the movie).

Not to come across as Yogi Berra ("That place is so busy, nobody goes there anymore"), how could the general audience dislike a movie they haven't attended?

I think it was the reaction to BvS which then when Justice League critic responses were published, the assumption was a slightly better BvS due to 40% vs.  27% originally.

Justice League may be a slight mess due to tampering. But the audiences that went Week 1 gave it a 'B+' - translating to still entertaining. Even 'IT' received a 'B+' and that movie rocked.

30 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Not to come across as Yogi Berra ("That place is so busy, nobody goes there anymore"), how could the general audience dislike a movie they haven't attended?

lollollol...so true.  I just want DC to get their act together and really thought JL would be that catalyst.  Now we have to wait on Aquaman (or a Snyder DVD copy of JL) for the next DC movie.

C'mon DC!  Outline your future plans and give me some hope!

I saw the movie a couple days ago and enjoyed it. From the trailers and the discussion, I had an idea of what to expect and was neither blown away nor disappointed. I'd see it again if I had the chance and I'll definitely add it to the collection when it gets released on Blu-ray. I'd also certainly be willing to pony up for a version that included a finished Director's Cut of the movie, just to see Snyder's vision as intended. I never saw the theatrical version of BvS, but I did pick up the Ultimate Edition and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it.

4 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I think it was the reaction to BvS which then when Justice League critic responses were published, the assumption was a slightly better BvS due to 40% vs.  27% originally.

Justice League may be a slight mess due to tampering. But the audiences that went Week 1 gave it a 'B+' - translating to still entertaining. Even 'IT' received a 'B+' and that movie rocked.

Agreed.

We're dealing with lagging indicators. I think the audience for Justice League stayed away because they'd felt burned by BvS and Suicide Squad.

And I feel the same way about the Netflix Marvel series -- Iron Fist had (by far) the highest first weekend viewership of any of the Marvel shows to that point, because audiences trusted the brand -- after Daredevil 1 & 2, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage.

And yet, Iron Fist sucked donkey balls, and Defenders was merely mediocre.

My fear then is that audiences will largely pass on The Punisher (which was arguably the strongest Marvel Netflix show this side of Daredevil) based on having been burned by Iron Fist & The Defenders.

Edited by Gatsby77

On November 29, 2017 at 8:31 AM, Bosco685 said:

My original review posting the night I came back:

Now THAT was a fun movie!

:whee:

And when Lois Lane reads that closing statement in the end, the audience actually applauded. I haven't been at a movie this year when the audience applauded like that.

:applause:

Man, they sure cut some scenes into the film where you could tell there were new ideas. Even more than BvS. But again - THAT was fun!

:whee: :whee: :whee:

The team coming together and their personality differences learning how to mesh together made this so great to see on film. And Steppenwolf was not that horrible. The mistake they made was no real message beforehand why he was doing the things he did, leading to a later larger threat.

I agree with folks on the credit scenes. The first one is a nice callback to the old comics. Nothing more. But that second one - WOW!!!

Ranking:

1) Man of Steel

2) Wonder Woman

3) Justice League

4) Batman v Superman Ultimate Cut

0) Suicide Squad as a guilty pleasure

Easily a 7.0/10.0 movie with the heart of a 9.0 film.

bosco, i have a legitimate question; i recall for a fact you gave the b v s ultimate cut a 9/10---what the hell ratings do you give mos, ww and jl???

43 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

bosco, i have a legitimate question; i recall for a fact you gave the b v s ultimate cut a 9/10---what the hell ratings do you give mos, ww and jl???

If you really paid attention to my posts versus busting balls over that 9.0 repeatedly, I gave the BvS Theatrical Cut an 8.5/10.0 when I came from the film. It was the BvS Ultimate Edition I said later was 9.0/10.0 due how much better edited this was, telling a smoother story.

I notice paperheart once again drops in his little rating with anything I am questioned about. Too bad you two don't focus on the folks that stated Civil War was THE GREATEST superhero movie ever made.

You all should get a healthier hobby.

34 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Yeah!  What the hell, Bosco???

Speaking of which, wasn't there some 'Cap3 will do 2x BvS' bet at one point for $20? My memory may be failing.

10 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Could this possibly be a marketing ploy by DC to help pay for the film?  Either way, I think it would be worth comparing the two.  I can't remember what they said it cost to tear Snyder's version apart but I think it was $60M.  I think it would be interesting to see what that $60M did for them. 

Just now, comicquant said:

Could this possibly be a marketing ploy by DC to help pay for the film?  Either way, I think it would be worth comparing the two.  I can't remember what they said it cost to tear Snyder's version apart but I think it was $60M.  I think it would be interesting to see what that $60M did for them. 

$25M. But hey, details don't matter. Go with what you assume. Big number - no whammies.

:flipbait:

8 hours ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

By definition, the movie is absolutely a flop but I'm pretty sure most of us on the boards will enjoy seeing it anyway.  Especially in comparison to all the other BS out in theaters these days.  I mean, I watched every episode of Inhumans (It was atrocious) and there are probably only a couple dozen people in the world who can say that.  Most of which are probably on these boards.  

Now as far as feeling out a Director's Cut, studios probably do toss out a feeler rumor from time to time. Just to gauge if there is market interest or not.

In the case of WB, like that earlier article noted, BvS sold so many discs and digital copies it knows already there is a market. Then it becomes an investment comparison is it worth the finishing costs.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

$25M. But hey, details don't matter. Go with what you assume. Big number - no whammies.

:flipbait:

Ya, I actually went looking for the number.  Apparently $25M is a lot of money for reshoots.  I didn't think $60M sounded that bad but I guess I was wrong.  

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

Ya, I actually went looking for the number.  Apparently $25M is a lot of money for reshoots.  I didn't think $60M sounded that bad but I guess I was wrong.  

At one point, during Mutache Gate ( :facepalm: ) certain sites found out about that reshoot number and posted that was just the CGI cost for removing the moustache. And believed it.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Now as far as feeling out a Director's Cut, studios probably do toss out a feeler rumor from time to time. Just to gauge if there is market interest or not.

In the case of WB, like that earlier article noted, BvS sold so many discs and digital copies it knows already there is a market. Then it becomes an investment comparison is it worth the finishing costs.

If anything WB should use it to test their overall understanding of the market.  I think it goes without saying a release of Snyder's original cut would get a lot of attention.  Especially in the "underdog" context this has played out to be.  I'm not a fan of Synder's but I can't say it wouldn't put a smile on my face if critics liked his cut more than the release...

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

At one point, during Mutache Gate ( :facepalm: ) certain sites found out about that reshoot number and posted that was just the CGI cost for removing the moustache. And believed it.

Thats absurd...  Even my 73 yr old mom knows it costs more than $25M to remove a digistache...

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

If anything WB should use it to test their overall understanding of the market.  I think it goes without saying a release of Snyder's original cut would get a lot of attention.  Especially in the "underdog" context this has played out to be.  I'm not a fan of Synder's but I can't say it wouldn't put a smile on my face if critics liked his cut more than the release...

Watch out. Paperheart may heart your post with that talk.

lol

But that would be funny. Especially the critic that noted on Twitter she will NEVER give Snyder any recognition.

:wishluck: