• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League - restarting the thread
1 1

855 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, drotto said:

Plus much of the increase in domestic numbers (although small) is mainly from the increase in ticket prices, increased 3D showings, and IMAX, which have to this point offset an actual decrease in attendance. So the numbers for domestic are tentative because increasing revenue steam can only go so far to offset paying customers. 

You would think it was just increases in price causing these bumps. That's note the main contributor. It was repeat ticket-buyers.

In 2016, the total number of frequent movie-goers increased by 2.1 million. The number of frequent movie-goers increased among all age groups, except 40-49 year olds and 60+ year olds. Individuals 12-17 years old and 18-24 years old continue to be over-represented among frequent moviegoers relative to their population size.

Although with the large distribution of Premium Large-Format (PLF) screens domestic helps as well.

U.S./Canada (945) had the largest number of PLF screens in 2016, followed by Asia Pacific (859). In 2016, the total number of PLF screens increased by 11 percent compared to 2015. These totals include both exhibitor-developed and global technology brands, such as IMAX.

In 2016, the

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Turns out Justice League's weekend estimates were short by $1.77M. With as much catching up as this movie needs, it's a blessing.

HaTNUbM.png

Here's even DC mega fanboy Mendelson at Forbes begrudgingly resigning himself to the true budget of $300MM for this film.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/03/box-office-justice-league-zooms-past-565-million-worldwide/amp/

Which puts its actual multiplier at 1.896.

Truth in analytics please. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Given that it was a quote from Mendelson that was used as the basis for the erroneous "$275 million" quote in the first place, he has a point.

You missed a source.

VARIETY: Can Warner Bros.’ Expensive, Long-Awaited ‘Justice League’ Deliver the Hit That DC Needs?

The costly superhero team adventure carries a production budget of more than $250 million, according to several sources, and with it, the hope that DC’s interconnected cinematic universe of comic book heroes and villains can deliver huge audiences around the globe.

Re-shoots, made complicated by the competing schedules of all the actors, lasted two months and cost $25 million. Roven, however, said the film will be an amalgam of Snyder and Whedon’s styles.

hm

7 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

erroneous

973fd31be1a3afc6901613252b1aed9f.jpg

Please don't allow your hate for Justice League to cause another thread lock.

Edited by Bosco685

You missed a source.

VARIETY: Can Warner Bros.’ Expensive, Long-Awaited ‘Justice League’ Deliver the Hit That DC Needs?

hm

973fd31be1a3afc6901613252b1aed9f.jpg

Please don't allow your hate for Justice League to cause another thread lock.

This article is from three weeks ago and virtually every credible news source since the day this film came out puts the figure at $300MM.  There are probably 50 articles since this one that all say $300MM from deadline , to imdb, to multiple contributors on Forbes , to even google when you just type in "justice league movie budget". 

Truth in analytics please.  Or don't bother with a chart at all for this particular movie.  

-J.

Regardless if it is $25 M or $50 M in reshoots (or whatever the actual cost), is it fair to say that the Box Office for JL has been a disappointment and just leave it at that?

All of the bickering is tiresome at this point...Yeah, yeah, I know if I don't like it, don't read the thread but I have found some of it interesting and informative, particularly that You Tube video with the Kevin Smith going over what was in or potentially in earlier versions.

Just now, Wall-Crawler said:

Regardless if it is $25 M or $50 M in reshoots (or whatever the actual cost), is it fair to say that the Box Office for JL has been a disappointment and just leave it at that?

All of the bickering is tiresome at this point...Yeah, yeah, I know if I don't like it, don't read the thread but I have found some of it interesting and informative, particularly that You Tube video with the Kevin Smith going over what was in or potentially in earlier versions.

Point taken but the "bickering" as you call it is largely one sided. 

Correcting someone who is seemingly insistent on repeating false information does not constitute bickering, trolling , hating or whatever incendiary epithet someone who is trying to shut down a debate might try to use against someone else who is making a counter point. 

-J.

5 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

If you check the old thread, there are a few that have made this a contest how many negative things they can insert in a series of posts. Yet even when I was posting the early social media comments and videos to gauge pre-release reviews, it was everything. Positive, negative, and in-between. No matter what someone wants to note as cherry-picking. The posts made are reality.

So those same folks wanting their negative take on the film solidly planted in whatever thread is focused on this movie is an approach. And then there are going to be folks that either enjoyed the film with its faults, but recognizing the studio tampered with this late in the process.

Throwing a tantrum because 'rumored to be around $300M production budget' or even 'rumored to have exceeded $300M production budget' with no confirmation from actual sources is an approach. But it also reflects the fact they want this negative view on the film as strong as possible. Not because they really care how accurate any number is.

13 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

By the way, I have to agree on that Kevin Smith video. Having someone in his audience that confirmed a large portion of those changes (other than the death of Cyborg, which she noted was not in her cut) is wild how big this could have been.

Now, I'd like to see what Darkseid looked like. Even if it is still a rough scene. As long as they avoided the Fox Apocalypse mistake tampering with a traditional look, they would have had me!

13 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i was agreeing with hector's face-palm that the d.c. budget-guy was broken-record'ing it.

Wow! That board feature works better than I realized. I didn't even see any other post.

:foryou:

I still enjoy 33% of your posts.

lol

Sorry, I can't forget the time you posted that.

'Justice League' Is the Highest Grossing DC Film of All Time in China

Justice League may have been a bit disappointing in the domestic box office, but DC's latest is raking in money over in China.

After earning $36.8M in its third weekend, Justice League's overseas total rose to $371.8M, with a global total of $569.2M. $98.6M of that amount comes from China alone, where the film has become the high-grossing DC film of all time.

Justice League has surpassed both Wonder Woman and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice in China in just three weeks, in spite of the negative critical reaction to the film.

No. That would be people nipping at the heels of any of these DC movies for sport. THAT gets old.

What gets old quicker? Regular people going on and on about how much a movie has made ( which shouldn't concern them for the most part ), or people who care about the characters and story lines, criticizing what they don't like about them?

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

What gets old quicker? Regular people going on and on about how much a movie has made ( which shouldn't concern them for the most part ), or people who care about the characters and story lines, criticizing what they don't like about them?

Depends on what you want to discuss at that point in time. There is no 'you shall only discuss comic book character designs, actor placement, or if their costumes and looks match the source material'.

If some folks are excited to see what these movies make because naturally that leads to sequels or similar movies, is that an issue? For a long period of time, there was just as much bickering over movie characters not matching the comic books. So it's not like less conflict comes from JUST discussing comic books and the movie storylines that come from these.