• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looks like IGB are back at it
1 1

74 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Since it was for Richard I had to do an edit :bigsmile:

You made the post longer. Thanks!

I just had a dealer I know stop in a couple of hours ago to show me a coverless Action #1 he just picked up.  It had a very sharp-looking photocopy cover wrapped around it, and made for an attractive package.  I would look at this IGB copy the same way... treat it and price it as a coverless with a reproduced cover attached to it (assuming, of course, that replacements and restoration haven't also been done to the interiors).  

41 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I just had a dealer I know stop in a couple of hours ago to show me a coverless Action #1 he just picked up.  It had a very sharp-looking photocopy cover wrapped around it, and made for an attractive package.  I would look at this IGB copy the same way... treat it and price it as a coverless with a reproduced cover attached to it (assuming, of course, that replacements and restoration haven't also been done to the interiors).  

Major parts of the cover is original.

46 minutes ago, Bookery said:

The label notes say: "extensive amount of pieces added to cover & interior" (my emphasis).

I have seen their work in hand (in a slab) and it looks pretty good. Not sure what their methods are other than the usual leaf casting and CT. You can color touch enough to cover up any defect basically. I am guessing the book was already restored and just added to in order to bring it to its current level.

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

Major parts of the cover is original.

How do we know that, however?  Is it an original back cover with a mostly recreated front cover?  Is it just a rebuilt spine?  I've not seen one of these books in person, but have heard the recreation work on them can be considerable.  Is this assumption inaccurate?

2 minutes ago, Bookery said:

How do we know that, however?  Is it an original back cover with a mostly recreated front cover?  Is it just a rebuilt spine?  I've not seen one of these books in person, but have heard the recreation work on them can be considerable.  Is this assumption inaccurate?

Oops... would help if I'd read everything.  Just saw the original description:  " Neither the cover nor the interior have been chemically lightened or cleaned, nor have the staples, which are the original staples. The cover has not been reglossed, and any piece fill is Japanese paper or leafcasting -- no color copies or donor books were used. Initially a CGC-graded complete copy, no marriages of major missing pieces were attached to the cover and interior, and the book has not been trimmed."  This answers some of my questions... sort of... 

11 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Oops... would help if I'd read everything.  Just saw the original description:  " Neither the cover nor the interior have been chemically lightened or cleaned, nor have the staples, which are the original staples. The cover has not been reglossed, and any piece fill is Japanese paper or leafcasting -- no color copies or donor books were used. Initially a CGC-graded complete copy, no marriages of major missing pieces were attached to the cover and interior, and the book has not been trimmed."  This answers some of my questions... sort of... 

Are we still talking about the Action 1 from the first post?  If so, the label notes indicate that "extensive amount of pieces" (awkward wording there by the grading company) were added to the cover and the interior.  I'm not sure what the distinction is between an "extensive" piece and a "major" piece, if there is one.

When this company's books were discussed in that epic thread a while back, people posted examples where it appeared evident that there had been extensive reconstruction to the covers of some books.  Whether that is the case here, I don't know, but I would sure want to find out before I paid this kind of money.

12 minutes ago, batman_fan said:
6 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

A Universal 9.4 would be pretty neat.

Not as nice as a 9.6 or 9.8 lol

hm

22 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Wonder what % is original hm

The staples are completely original. Also no non house ads were touched.

It’s surely the best original reprint one can buy. I’m a little disappointed it didn’t grade higher than a 9.4 with all that lipstick applied to it.