• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tampered cases and writing on books intentionally that CGC didn't catch ..? Right....

9 posts in this topic

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ComicBookCollecting/permalink/1638703966195661/

One guy even says he intentional marks his books sent to CGC to make sure they don't swap them out, and they never catch him writing on his books.....

Pretty serious allegations...

Thoughts?

Edited by cbaileypacker

4 hours ago, cbaileypacker said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ComicBookCollecting/permalink/1638703966195661/

One guy even says he intentional marks his books sent to CGC to make sure they don't swap them out, and they never catch him writing on his books.....

Pretty serious allegations...

Thoughts?

This person has no clue what they are talking about.

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

1.jpg

Terrible. FYI, it's not only E-Bay that is susceptible for this fraud, it can happen with any auction house. Happened to me recently on one book. The auction houses get their inventory from consignments and they probably don't inspect every book thoroughly. I think your are safer with the new CGC cases which are very difficult to open. It's the older cases, especially the old labels that open much too easily, often without any signs of damage.

46 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Terrible. FYI, it's not only E-Bay that is susceptible for this fraud, it can happen with any auction house. Happened to me recently on one book. The auction houses get their inventory from consignments and they probably don't inspect every book thoroughly. I think your are safer with the new CGC cases which are very difficult to open. It's the older cases, especially the old labels that open much too easily, often without any signs of damage.

So you believe this?

1. How did they get the hologram to match.

2. How did they get a hologram on the label.

3. I've only cracked the newest case, which are sealed so they have noticeably been opened. Can you really get an older one open and back together without trouble?

4. We've all seen cracked cases that doesn't mean they've been opened.

5. 3 DIFFERENT sellers all sold him fraudulent books? Quite a return rate on only three purchases.

6. He examined the book in the case and didn't agree with the grade? I basically stopped reading there and have only now gone back to read the remained.

7. No pictures have been provided.

Edited by ygogolak

I was more concerned with this guy, who claims he marks his books with a pen or sharpie, in a "secret spot" that cgc never catches, so he knows he gets his books back, not swapped out for a different book. 

claims he gets 9.8 every time, and they never catch his re-marking.

This dude is ridiculous.

5a31c2b227c77_facbookpost1.jpg.cbbd51315f2a724971b2a190b0cb9701.jpg

Edited by cbaileypacker

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

So you believe this?

1. How did they get the hologram to match.

2. How did they get a hologram on the label.

3. I've only cracked the newest case, which are sealed so they have noticeably been opened. Can you really get an older one open and back together without trouble?

4. We've all seen cracked cases that doesn't mean they've been opened.

5. 3 DIFFERENT sellers all sold him fraudulent books? Quite a return rate on only three purchases.

6. He examined the book in the case and didn't agree with the grade? I basically stopped reading there and have only now gone back to read the remained.

7. No pictures have been provided.

I didn't notice the part about 3 different sellers, that does not seem believable. However, I believe it happened to me, one book , old 1st generation label. When I got the slab the case literally opened in my hands. The inner well was sealed but in looking at the book, the label said 9.6 but the book was not a 9.6 . The label on these old cases slide right out of the inner well, making it easy to switch the labels. I love to buy old label books and have cracked open many of them. They can be opened up very clean, little to no damage. The posts can often be popped right back, though they will be very loose and open up easy. Using a snug mylar bag will hold the case together. As mentioned, the new cases are not easy to open. 

On 12/13/2017 at 4:20 PM, cbaileypacker said:

I was more concerned with this guy, who claims he marks his books with a pen or sharpie, in a "secret spot" that cgc never catches, so he knows he gets his books back, not swapped out for a different book. 

claims he gets 9.8 every time, and they never catch his re-marking.

This dude is ridiculous.

5a31c2b227c77_facbookpost1.jpg.cbbd51315f2a724971b2a190b0cb9701.jpg

He should supply pics of his marked books if he's making a claim like this.