• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is comic "pressing"?

103 posts in this topic

BTW, I have confirmed that Chris Friessen (sp?) has set up a pressing operation. He is right down the hallway from CGC. However, the operation is not under the legal rubric of CGC, but of CGC's parent corporation.

Amazing. Chris of course should be free to pursue whatever business he wishes to and would probably be successful regardless of where and with whom he set up shop.

But why CGC's parent company feels compelled to bankroll him and make his business either a sister company of CGC or at the very least an affiliate of CGC is beyond me. In a certification business, appearances are everything, and the appearance here stinks! It's like a holding company that makes safes on the one hand and makes safe-breaking equipment on the other hand.

Now, now...

They need a guy to help "fix" those comics with SCS. crazy.gif

BTW, I have confirmed that Chris Friessen (sp?) has set up a pressing operation. He is right down the hallway from CGC. However, the operation is not under the legal rubric of CGC, but of CGC's parent corporation.

Amazing. Chris of course should be free to pursue whatever business he wishes to and would probably be successful regardless of where and with whom he set up shop.

But why CGC's parent company feels compelled to bankroll him and make his business either a sister company of CGC or at the very least an affiliate of CGC is beyond me. In a certification business, appearances are everything, and the appearance here stinks! It's like a holding company that makes safes on the one hand and makes safe-breaking equipment on the other hand.

Now, now...

I see no problem or conflict of interests in this arrangement.

Seriously. As long as Friesen records which book has been pressed and passes the information onto CGC so that it's notated thus on the label when it's submitted.

insane.gif

OH NO!!! Another pressing thread!!!!

AUUUGHH!!!! I'm just getting over the last one.

Maybe I should get my head pressed.

Condition before pressing: very worn, missing some pieces, off-white, flaking (need new dandruff shampoo) many folds and color breaking creases. Grade 4.5

After pressing: 5.0

For only a 1/2 point upgrade, I don't think I'll do that. Think I'll just send myself out for full restoration.

In the words of Billy Crystall as Fernando Lamis "You look marvelous!!!! It's better to look good then feel good"

It's like a holding company that makes safes on the one hand and makes safe-breaking equipment on the other hand.

Or like Sony, on one hand fighting against software that decrypts DVD's and on the other hand selling DVD Burners. Oh wait, they actually do both of those things, bad example.....

Now, now...

I see no problem or conflict of interests in this arrangement.

Seriously. As long as Friesen records which book has been pressed and passes the information onto CGC so that it's notated thus on the label when it's submitted.

insane.gif

droll, very droll..........i especially liked the long pause effect by having to scroll down to the "Insane" graemlim.

i know folks are very tired of pressing threads, but wonder if this will put new wind into the sail, due to the announcement that many's worst fear has been confirmed.

i personally see little difference whether Chris "officially" works for CGC or is setting up his own pressing business in the CGC building while working for CGC's parent company. even someone like myself (who has openly been on the "not too disturbed by pressing") side of the discussion, has mixed feelings about this........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

droll, very droll..........i especially liked the long pause effect by having to scroll down to the "Insane" graemlim.

i know folks are very tired of pressing threads, but wonder if this will put new wind into the sail, due to the announcement that many's worst fear has been confirmed.

i personally see little difference whether Chris "officially" works for CGC or is setting up his own pressing business in the CGC building while working for CGC's parent company. even someone like myself (who has openly been on the "not too disturbed by pressing") side of the discussion, has mixed feelings about this........... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I didn't mean to trivialize this particular matter - I guess the ironic graemlin misfired. I would say that if anything this is a very important issue indeed, and goes beyond any previous pressing thread.

I'd like answers to your questions too, basically.

I didn't mean to trivialize this particular matter - I guess the ironic graemlin misfired. I would say that if anything this is a very important issue indeed, and goes beyond any previous pressing thread.

I'd like answers to your questions too, basically.

What this does is force collectors to either take a stand NOW , or start going through their inventory for pressing candidates.

It's either against the grain, or go with the flow.

I think it's time people realize...there really is no MIDDLE GROUND on this issue.

Anybody who doesn't see this as a HUGE conflict of interest isn't paying attention. CGC's impartiality has officially been chucked out the window in the quest for dollars. Whether Friesen is working for CGC or the umbrella organization is irrelevant. They are enhancing comics and doing grading certification under the same roof. All the while being paid by the same people (semantics aside). All slabs coming out of CGC must be assumed to be pressed at this point...

Jim

Anybody who doesn't see this as a HUGE conflict of interest isn't paying attention. CGC's impartiality has officially been chucked out the window in the quest for dollars. Whether Friesen is working for CGC or the umbrella organization is irrelevant. They are enhancing comics and doing grading certification under the same roof. All the while being paid by the same people (semantics aside). All slabs coming out of CGC must be assumed to be pressed at this point...

Jim

What CGC fails to realize...is that this venture is going to give potential competitors an open window to relieve them of their monopoly.

Wait until it's all official & Chris opens shop. There is going to be a huge backlash.

What do you think will happen when the conspiracy theories start coming true? popcorn.gif

What CGC fails to realize...is that this venture is going to give potential competitors an open window to relieve them of their monopoly.

Wait until it's all official & Chris opens shop. There is going to be a huge backlash.

What do you think will happen when the conspiracy theories start coming true? popcorn.gif

What to you mean, "when"? More of those "theories" are panning out to be true than not.

What this does is force collectors to either take a stand NOW , or start going through their inventory for pressing candidates.

I think it's time people realize...there really is no MIDDLE GROUND on this issue.

I know that people think I'm crazy for thinking that my solution to the steroids issue in sports (force every athlete to take steroids whether they want to or not) would be an equally effective solution to the pressing problem (press every book whether it needs it or not), but I believe that, ultimately, history will vindicate me.

acclaim.gifinsane.gif

I know that people think I'm crazy for thinking that my solution to the steroids issue in sports (force every athlete to take steroids whether they want to or not) would be an equally effective solution to the pressing problem (press every book whether it needs it or not), but I believe that, ultimately, history will vindicate me.

acclaim.gifinsane.gif

You are one crazy mofo! 893whatthe.gif

acclaim.gifinsane.gif

You are one crazy mofo! 893whatthe.gif

That's what they said to Orville and Wilbur Wright in 1905! Word for word! grin.gif

Yep, found this site.http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gal100/wright1903.html

Nothing about the great laugh at the Wright Brothers 2 years later.

poke2.gif