• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BIN There, Done That
3 3

100 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Made on offer so he would more than double up but declined.

I don't know what is crazier, the initial steal of a deal, or the DB markup level.

Definitely his 400% overshoot of the market value.

Just now, vodou said:

20k/BO is clearly a fishing expedition. The hope being for an offer that comes in around 2-3x fmv.

He's lowered it to $15k....as market data and reaction trickles in no doubt. 

Turns out he's a board...never posted before, but a boardie. 

37 minutes ago, vodou said:

20k/BO is clearly a fishing expedition. The hope being for an offer that comes in around 2-3x fmv.

16 minutes ago, Athaxto said:

Would you look at that? Rationality finally emerges.

bill.gif

Well, hoping for 2-3x FMV isn't REAALLLLY rationality, is it? 

2-3X cost? Pretty Rational.

FMV give or take a little more? Also Rational.

2-3X FMV? Not really. 

You are, of course, free to ask whatever you want for your item. Make it a cool million if you want.

However, given the public nature of your purchase and then re-using the same venue (and pictures) for your attempt at an insta-flip, discussion is going to ensue (seeing as discussion began when the piece first sold). 

Regardless of this thread you're going to make a nice return on this piece, if you choose to. 

I almost forgot, we're supposed to post this when a seller enters the discussion:

GLWTS!!* (thumbsu

*Good Luck With The Sale!!

12 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

You are, of course, free to ask whatever you want for your item. Make it a cool million if you want.

However, given the public nature of your purchase and then re-using the same venue (and pictures) for your attempt at an insta-flip, discussion is going to ensue (seeing as discussion began when the piece first sold).

This kind of game works in other collectible categories but not comic art. The circle is too small. Anybody and everybody that would spend kays on Sandman is aware of this piece or has a friend that is aware and the rest of the story is thus instantly disseminated and most of the air is let out on the spot. And the longer it sits with no action...well. ha ha. And there is actually a lot of Sandman art out there too, no shortage of nice pieces to buy in the 5-10k range, if one is a bit patient...there's plenty of competition loose in the market and there just aren't that many (dumb) rookies with huge pockets to take advantage of. At least not that way, now maybe if you rip all the word balloons off, apply a lot of whiteout near the top (or just cut Sandman panel out and attach to a new white bristol board?) and drop a logo on it, that could become an alternate/unused cover or something...that's a trick that does seem to pay off consistently lol

The play that would work, probably the only one that would is putting it up to HA but with a modestly high reserve (10k?), leaving seller with 9k and buyer having to pony up 12k. Still not great, that 3k spread, but better than the 4-5k it will get sitting on eBay gathering dust at 15k or (soon to be adjusted to, no doubt) 12k.

1 minute ago, vodou said:

This kind of game works in other collectible categories but not comic art. The circle is too small. Anybody and everybody that would spend kays on Sandman is aware of this piece or has a friend that is aware and the rest of the story is thus instantly disseminated and most of the air is let out on the spot. And the longer it sits with no action...well. ha ha. And there is actually a lot of Sandman art out there too, no shortage of nice pieces to buy in the 5-10k range, if one is a bit patient...there's plenty of competition loose in the market and there just aren't that many (dumb) rookies with huge pockets to take advantage of. At least not that way, now maybe if you rip all the word balloons off, apply a lot of whiteout near the top (or just cut Sandman panel out and attach to a new white bristol board?) and drop a logo on it, that could become an alternate/unused cover or something...that's a trick that does seem to pay off consistently lol

The play that would work, probably the only one that would is putting it up to HA but with a modestly high reserve (10k?), leaving seller with 9k and buyer having to pony up 12k. Still not great, that 3k spread, but better than the 4-5k it will get sitting on eBay gathering dust at 15k or (soon to be adjusted to, no doubt) 12k.

True for the most part, but I think the top end of the estimates are a bit too optimistic. 
There are some really great pages out there, openly for sale, that are more striking, in the $8k range. 

There's a wonderful 2 pager by Kelly Jones with Morpheus all over them for under $7500 a page. 

If it were me and I got that bargain, I'd either squirrel the piece away in my collection for a while or make whatever hay I could while the sun shone without overplaying my hand or leaving a taint on the piece. 

4 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

True for the most part, but I think the top end of the estimates are a bit too optimistic. 
There are some really great pages out there, openly for sale, that are more striking, in the $8k range. 

There's a wonderful 2 pager by Kelly Jones with Morpheus all over them for under $7500 a page. 

If it were me and I got that bargain, I'd either squirrel the piece away in my collection for a while or make whatever hay I could while the sun shone without overplaying my hand or leaving a taint on the piece. 

Never, ever, Never ever ever put taint on OA

I'm never buying from Comix4fun again if he continues to put his taint on artwork :sick:

10 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Oh absolutely agree, there's more likelihood of "bought in" than "sold" hammer at HA for 12k. Just making the point that that is the only way to even get within striking distance of the goal here, with the pressure of buy it or not sort of scenario at HA. The ol' one bid situation. But we've all seen many of those fall flat over the years, only for the piece to reapper at next sale and no reserve auction to about 40-70% of the first hope-for-reserve-crossing-your-fingers number. Again, the comic OA market is very efficient that way, the arb here was on the buy, it's not going to happen again on the re-sale!

If it were me that got to it, if I even gave a fig about Sandman to begin with (and I don't lay up even $1500 on stuff I don't understand at all, nope, never) I would disappear the piece for at least 3 years. The good news is they are not making any more vintage Sandman art and there's no cooling that I'm aware of (generationally) that would hit in three years.

35 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Have seen this many times over the years, almost always by a novice with minimal understanding of how this hobby works.

41 minutes ago, vodou said:

This kind of game works in other collectible categories but not comic art.

Yup.

It's a Hail Mary play. Maybe the seller gets lucky. But those are just terrible odds.

This was an all-time great eBay BINs ($100!):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREACHER-1-ORIGINAL-ART-PAGE-STEVE-DILLON-JESSE-CUSTER-TULIP-CASSIDY-1ST-SOK/151308633158?hash=item233ab28446:g:AWQAAMXQ1d1TKC6H

Like this SANDMAN guy, the buyer immediately re-listed it.

That was 10 years ago. And there it still sits.

Edited by Nexus

7 minutes ago, Nexus said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PREACHER-1-ORIGINAL-ART-PAGE-STEVE-DILLON-JESSE-CUSTER-TULIP-CASSIDY-1ST-SOK/151308633158?hash=item233ab28446:g:AWQAAMXQ1d1TKC6H

LOL. Not the only satchj3 listing to perma-relist.

It's actually funny how much the super-high-BIN-or-BO-dragnet psychology doesn't work in comic art. It really does work phenomenally elsewhere. I mean...I make a living with it ;)

I think, in part, it may be because there is still a $1.00 cover price mentality about the comics hobby overall. Even when folks transition over to comic art, there's still something of a cheapness about. I'm having trouble describing this, but I once tried to sell fine art (of a more comic art oriented appeal) at a comic con and found that people really dug it, wanted it, but with just $20 in their pocket...it wasn't happening. Cuz they could get like 40 books out of the 50 cent boxes for the same money :) and so that's what they came with, seemed when they left the house that $20 was going to get them more stuff than they could carry back home on the subway! Funny thing - I did some sales (the few that I did do with that material) to women, mostly bored girlfriends/wive that hung out at my table looking at "real" art while their boyfriends were trying to get Jim Lee's autograph or whatever. Those dudes were lucky I'm married and wasn't looking around for anything, etc...because I think a few of them were ripe for the attention too, ya know..? :devil: As it was I had some great hour long conversations about lots of things that were art-oriented but had nothing to do with comics.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:43 PM, Nexus said:

Have seen this many times over the years, almost always by a novice with minimal understanding of how this hobby works.

Yup.

It's a Hail Mary play. Maybe the seller gets lucky. But those are just terrible odds.

Yep. I've seen that Preacher 1 page, and it was crazy when he posted it for sale. At least he now tries to try and sell it as the SOK's grave site. :popcorn:

I just think you have to have a flipper mentality to pay more than you budget for something in this hobby, unless it's one of your Grails. I get why some people like to stockpile tradeable (or saleable) "assets," as if they are an NBA franchise. But, that requires up front out of pocket cash. And, unless I LIKE the piece and want it for myself, I just can't bring myself to pony up for it. Not unless it's in my price range, to begin with. If someone offered by a Kirby mid-60's FF cover for $25K, it may be a fantastic bargain, but I ain't got 25 large to spend on it.

On 2/3/2018 at 5:56 PM, INKREDIBLE BULK said:

Looks like that might be production art. Found the original sale still pending on COMICLINK exchange. Am I right?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Dstar%2Btrek%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCA&id=1202696

That doesn't mean anything.  Comiclink has a cover up on their site that I purchased directly from the seller in 2014 and they've ignored multiple mails from me asking them to take it down:  http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection.asp%3Fid%3D1398%26x%3D51%26y%3D4%26pg%3D16&id=876734

I suspect a large percentage of their fixed price items are no longer available.

26 minutes ago, tlatner said:

That doesn't mean anything.  Comiclink has a cover up on their site that I purchased directly from the seller in 2014 and they've ignored multiple mails from me asking them to take it down:  http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection.asp%3Fid%3D1398%26x%3D51%26y%3D4%26pg%3D16&id=876734

I suspect a large percentage of their fixed price items are no longer available.

Sad but true.  Could file this post under ' i hate sites that keep sold items up'.