• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Traditional directors that dislike superhero productions
2 2

83 posts in this topic

As someone mentioned above, I do believe that there are many who truly see attacking the MCU as the best way to get free publicity for whatever their current project is. It works.  It's also clickbait, so on the other side of the coin many other are constantly asked about it in HOPES they'll finally say something like that... meaning they may have refrained from making any such comments the first  50 times... but finally relented once and then... boom!

But also, there's another group that, regardless of publicity, do not respect the genre or it's success.  In many cases, these people probably have not seen any/many of the movies themselves.. but they feel they "understand" what they represent so that's enough.

And if there is the rare director who has really taken a deep dive into these movies and still finds them not to his or her liking? Why on earth wouldn't they be entitled to their opinion?

Regardless - Isn't all of this familiar to all of us? It's the way the whole idea of being a comic book fan was treated for years and years until, ironically, the great commercial success of the MCU made "comic" fans out of business people all throughout Hollywood, so being a comic fan was "cool".  But even so, the stigma still lingers on. I mean, if a new Scorsese movie was topping the charts... you'd never see another director come out publicly and talk about how he/she hates all gangster movies and they are "killing" cinema.  But comics/comic fans have always been an easy target.

Luckily, despite all that, I think it's hard to argue with the fact that we live in a golden age for comic fans.  Seeing live action representations of our favorite characters that FEEL like the characters we love in essentials ways... with stories that feel right for them.  And if those of us who love comics still want to criticize the movies & TV shows (which so many here do)... well, we're family, so we're allowed. So stop giving people a hard time when they do that. :)

On 9/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, fmaz said:

It's the way the whole idea of being a comic book fan was treated for years and years until, ironically, the great commercial success of the MCU made "comic" fans out of business people all throughout Hollywood, so being a comic fan was "cool". 

And before this Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man. Which had their Hollywood detractors.

On 9/19/2021 at 12:05 AM, fmaz said:

And if those of us who love comics still want to criticize the movies & TV shows (which so many here do)... well, we're family, so we're allowed. So stop giving people a hard time when they do that. :)

Have to agree. If someone wants to 'break from the ranks' and note they didn't care for an MCU Disney+ show or movie, they shouldn't have to over-explain. It just didn't work for them. Hear, hear!

:applause:

Edited by Bosco685

On 9/19/2021 at 10:28 AM, Bosco685 said:

And before this Blade, X-Men and Spider-Man. Which had their Hollywood detractors.

Have to agree. If someone wants to 'break from the ranks' and note they didn't care for an MCU Disney+ show or movie, they shouldn't have to over-explain. It just didn't work for them. Hear, hear!

:applause:

You’re unlikely to like every single super-hero film, even as a diehard reader / collector.

That’s not the same as having an entire genre indiscriminately tarred over with the same broad brush strokes.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/19/2021 at 7:17 AM, Ken Aldred said:

You’re unlikely to like every single super-hero film, even as a diehard reader / collector.

That’s not the same as having an entire genre indiscriminately tarred over with the same broad brush strokes.

Definitely agree!

If anything, I have a feeling many of these more non-superhero production creators are more frustrated with studios that chase the box office bone. So now that comic book films are the dominant force, anything not franchise-building and immense in action scope has to fight even harder for attention.

It's not the genre that is the problem. It's those short-minded studio execs that want the big dollar stories or bust. :preach:

On 12/31/2017 at 6:50 AM, Bosco685 said:

Since this seems to be a thing from time to time...

Jodie Foster Says Superhero Blockbusters Are ‘Ruining’ Moviegoing

jodie-foster-black-mirror-season-4.jpg?q

anyone involved with Elysium and Flight Plan shouldnt be saying a thing about how movies 'should be'.

Don't add Francis Ford Coppola to this list

Most comments from iconic filmmakers in regards to superhero films see them pointing out what they don't like about the genre, but when The Godfather director Francis Ford Coppola shared his love of Deadpool recently, star Ryan Reynolds went on to throw the love right back towards the filmmaker. During a chat with Variety, Coppola did point out his desire to see more films reflect contemporary life and noted some of the filmmakers he believed are accomplishing such feats, while also pointing out his affection for the Merc with a Mouth. A new Deadpool is reportedly in the works from director Shawn Levy.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

A review quote about The Forgiven:

"The Forgiven’s exploration of guilt, remorse & forgiveness is exceptionally well done and without the mawkishness that often comes with those themes. The film juxtaposes two cultures: the shallow, emotionally truncated, self-indulgence of rich white Europeans & that of Moroccans scraping an existence in the unforgiving desert...etc"

To each their own, but I'm not paying to watch a film about real life people treating people like jerks and finding redemption in their jerky behavior. I can walk outside my door and get a story like that for free and not spend two hours of my life with it. What I can't get is a flying Norse god smashing things with an oversized hammer or face-painted warriors screaming 'FREEEEEEEEEDOM'. Sorry Ronald McDonough.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:13 AM, Dr. Balls said:

A review quote about The Forgiven:

"The Forgiven’s exploration of guilt, remorse & forgiveness is exceptionally well done and without the mawkishness that often comes with those themes. The film juxtaposes two cultures: the shallow, emotionally truncated, self-indulgence of rich white Europeans & that of Moroccans scraping an existence in the unforgiving desert...etc"

To each their own, but I'm not paying to watch a film about real life people treating people like jerks and finding redemption in their jerky behavior. I can walk outside my door and get a story like that for free and not spend two hours of my life with it. What I can't get is a flying Norse god smashing things with an oversized hammer or face-painted warriors screaming 'FREEEEEEEEEDOM'. Sorry Ronald McDonough.

but Jessica Chastain :x