• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US vs UK copies
2 2

93 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, gadzukes said:

They even smell and taste the same. 

I thought the pence copies tasted kind of limey.

2 hours ago, woowoo said:
8 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I thought the pence copies tasted kind of limey.

Lizard2 is it not that time of year your more cheerful brother shows up.:whistle:Grinch.jpg.9b038f71d7e9e8a47c3a8f12a32ada64.jpg

Fixed that for you :whistle:

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

THe UK ASM 13 looks interesting in comparison to the US printing according to this.

https://www.nostomania.com/servlets/com.nostomania.PowerResearchItemsServlet?runId=220&page=1&pcat=comics

I've never seen that site before Bob. Are you a member?  Wonder what additional info it holds. The prices for #13 are a bit up and down aren't they. 

18 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've never seen that site before Bob. Are you a member?  Wonder what additional info it holds. The prices for #13 are a bit up and down aren't they. 

No  Steve, I'm not a member. I use it primarily just to get a rough idea on price if bidding on something. Premium membership as it says gives additional grade prices, I should imagine there are other extras.. Of the sites out there that give values, I found this the easiest to use, and it does seem to be more current that many, imo.

30 minutes ago, 956Ref said:

This seems interesting. I feel like this is the right place to ask...but how do you price value of pence variants? I feel like i've heard they are worth less than the US regular counterparts, but I cant seem to find any real knowledge of this.

I recently picked up a wwbn 32 pence variant from a fellow because I was in the market for a book for a doug moench signing. I would put it in the 6.0 range, but don't know if there's a  SS Pence in census and what the value would be at? I hope I didnt overpay for the book. I paid close to fmv of an english book, and since I was in a time crunch I was a little more flexible on terms, but I just want to make sure I didnt head dive into a concrete pool (:.

Thanks for the help.

I've answered your question here @956Ref as I think it will get more views that the journal page you posted it on (no one reads the journal pages)

I don't keep track of price differentials between UK and US copies that much myself - my area of focus is on what exists and all the wonderful nuances that go with that. Others will have a better take on whether a 6.0 WWBM #32 in pence will command less, more or the same as its US counterpart. 

What I can say is that there has always been a general view that pence copies are worth less than cents copies and that still holds true for many non-key issues. Lately however we are starting to see keys go for big money and, in the case of this actual book, more than the equivalent graded US version. 

https://youtu.be/M33kqHaiTBQ

So I doubt that you will have made a bad purchase, if you paid FMV. Let's see what others say though, who pay more attention to the financials than I do. 

11 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've answered your question here @956Ref as I think it will get more views that the journal page you posted it on (no one reads the journal pages)

I don't keep track of price differentials between UK and US copies that much myself - my area of focus is on what exists and all the wonderful nuances that go with that. Others will have a better take on whether a 6.0 WWBM #32 in pence will command less, more or the same as its US counterpart. 

What I can say is that there has always been a general view that pence copies are worth less than cents copies and that still holds true for many non-key issues. Lately however we are starting to see keys go for big money and, in the case of this actual book, more than the equivalent graded US version. 

https://youtu.be/M33kqHaiTBQ

So I doubt that you will have made a bad purchase, if you paid FMV. Let's see what others say though, who pay more attention to the financials than I do. 

My rule of thumb is...... on key issues, pence copies are worth about 70% of cent copies.  On non key issues pence are worth much less.  It definitely fluctuates though.

17 hours ago, gadzukes said:

My rule of thumb is...... on key issues, pence copies are worth about 70% of cent copies.  On non key issues pence are worth much less.  It definitely fluctuates though.

680606697_2021-01-2920_33_53.jpg.2b70ccc9da6f09bd0056850639650570.jpg

AfraidWellinformedAkitainu-small.gif.a197bcf5011a9775a0671272d8b94db3.gif

:)

I`m sitting on a lot of UK imported American comics fom the early 60s I inherited  from my dad, the vast majority of these carry a 9d pence stamp. 

One of the difficulties as a total newbie to comics, is to work out the market value so you can make judgements on whether its worth the cost of grading them, what tier level to use etc. Just to recap and clarify, on a stamped copy rather than a price variant what  difference in price is expected? My collection is about 85% DC, about 10% Marvel (US) and the rest assorted sundry publishers. 

Sometimes the stamp mark is light, sometimes its heavy with ink. Every stamped copy is going to be unique as it looks like they were manually stamped so I'm really interested to know how this effects their valuation.