• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the Jim Lee X-Men run a good read?
1 1

23 posts in this topic

That big toy collection I bought last month came with about 170 comics. Nothing really spectacular in it (Spawn #1, ASM #400, Dawn #1-6, etc.) There's a run of the Jim Lee X-Men title (#1-71) there and I was wondering if it was worth the read before I got rid of it. 

Edited by Chip Cataldo

I thought the earlier Claremont-written Uncanny X-Men run was enjoyable, but the later, offshoot X-Men title was disappointing.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

The art was great for the time 

I've just recently re-read the entire Claremont run, and it still looks like the work of a young and clearly very talented artist.

Claremont only wrote the first 3 issues of the adjectiveless X-Men series and Jim Lee was only on for the first dozen or so issues. Then it was mostly Lobdell or Fabian Nicieza & one of the Kuberts for the majority of the next 50-some issues. It was pretty good, but not spectacular. It was basically the fizzling out of the end of an otherwise amazing era. There was a number of good stories during that post-Lee/Claremont era, but nothing quite as good as the Uncanny-only era.

I read 1-40 or so when they came out.

1-25 are solid, after that not so much. I lost interest entirely around the Phalanx Covenant storyline.

Uncanny of that era was probably better -- you've got 281-304 -- and (big crossovers that hit both titles like X-Cutioner's Song and Fatal Attractions aside), I remember the quieter issues of Uncanny 297 and 303 being the best mutant stories of that era.

I also give the Uncanny run the nod for the introduction of Bishop and the not_in_tune_with_social_norms cool Portacio art.

20 hours ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Maybe I'll just read the first 30 issues then since that seems to be the consensus (if I'm reading any of it at all).

How's the job search coming? 

Are your X books for sale?

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

How's the job search coming? 

Are your X books for sale?

Job search? I've been employed for nearly a year now. Didn't bother posting it here because I didn't think anyone cared.

Yes, these are for sale but not here. I'm in the HOS, remember? 

One could say announcing you had just bought a collection might be a ruse to have people PM you about buying books.

I mean, something like that has never happened before...

Cool Books ™

4 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

One could say announcing you had just bought a collection might be a ruse to have people PM you about buying books.

I mean, something like that has never happened before...

Cool Books ™

I understand what you're saying, but I specifically said it was 170 books of drek. If someone wants Gambit & The Externals #1-4, though, I'll definitely ship first to get that dollar. ?

Seriously, I wasn't trolling for sales. I really wanted to know if it was a good read before setting aside the time to do so. 

On 1/4/2018 at 11:05 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I read 1-40 or so when they came out.

1-25 are solid, after that not so much. I lost interest entirely around the Phalanx Covenant storyline.

Uncanny of that era was probably better -- you've got 281-304 -- and (big crossovers that hit both titles like X-Cutioner's Song and Fatal Attractions aside), I remember the quieter issues of Uncanny 297 and 303 being the best mutant stories of that era.

I also give the Uncanny run the nod for the introduction of Bishop and the not_in_tune_with_social_norms cool Portacio art.

Likewise - phalanx covenant was it for me , after the last several crossovers being very good - I felt it Petered out after that , whether accurate or not - I felt like this was the beginning of Marvel having a never ending loop of crossover  events , something still utilized today ( DC is guilty of this as well )

On 1/5/2018 at 4:05 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I understand what you're saying, but I specifically said it was 170 books of drek. 

I don't care either way, but you said they were "nothing really special."  You've sold junk before, and without knowing you have a job, I get people assuming that you're scrounging for cash again.