• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Living large on Stan’s dime!
2 2

92 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

Haterz gonna hate!

6FE6C1B5-01A6-4ECF-836C-CE7F6F76664F.jpeg

Yeah, I will continue on hating the things I hate. You got me on that one. Onions are a perfect example. I have hated onions since I was a child and can't eat anything that even has cooked onions in it. I'm not going to suddenly start liking and eating onions just so I can say I don't hate something anymore. There are lots of others things I hate as well. I hate the cold, which is why we go down to Costa Rica during the winter. I hate the name of the new Red Wings and Pistons Arena (Little Caesars Arena...BLAH!!). I could go on and on as EVERYONE has things they both love and hate and yep, greed is yet another thing I absolutely hate and Stan Lee defnitely fits in that category for me. So your absolutely correct. I will continue on hating the things that I hate. I will also continue on liking the things I like. None of this should be surprising to anyone with an IQ above 10.

On 1/4/2018 at 8:55 PM, ygogolak said:

How much money do you have to to not notice $850k missing?

Apparently Stan is worth $50 million, according to celebritynetworth.com ...

pales in comparison to Todd McFarlane's $300 million! :insane:

26 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Man,  you are nasty.

Just call em like I see em. Personally, I think people that run around posting pictures of people giving someone the finger and labeling everyone haters because they have an opinion they disagree with...well, I personally find that kind of posting far more nasty than people just being honest about thier opinions. Again, my opinion is that Stan Lee is greedy as all hell. If you want to think I am nasty because I have that opinion than I guess so be it. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 minute ago, OrangeCrush said:
23 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Man,  you are nasty.

Just call em like I see em. Personally, I think people that run around posting pictures of people giving someone the finger and labeling everyone haters because they have an opinion they disagree with...well, I personally find that kind of posting far more nasty than people just being honest about thier opinions. 

I admit, my humor is lost to about 2% of the folks on here.  Pat and I actually respect each other, so you really don't know what you were witnessing.

Don't be surprised when folks start asking for your eBay ID, and black-balling you from their sales threads.  Then you can tell us what ignorant person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bags and haters we all are.

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I admit, my humor is lost to about 2% of the folks on here.  Pat and I actually respect each other, so you really don't know what you were witnessing.

Don't be surprised when folks start asking for your eBay ID, and black-balling you from their sales threads.  Then you can tell us what ignorant person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed-bags and haters we all are.

Well, I am actually a part of the 2% of people online (actually that figure might be high) that actually understand subjectivity and actually respect the fact that people are entitled to thier own opinions, even when I happen to disagree with such an opinion myself. So you would never catch me calling anyone ignorant, obnoxious, or haters regardless of the opinion that they posted.  

3 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Well, I am actually a part of the 2% of people online (actually that figure might be high) that actually understand subjectivity and actually respect the fact that people are entitled to thier own opinions, even when I happen to disagree with such an opinion myself. So you would never catch me calling anyone ignorant, obnoxious, or haters regardless of the opinion that they posted.  

lol

16 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

If you want to think I am nasty because I have that opinion than I guess so be it. 

I don't think anyone has a problem with your opinion. It's the way in which you are expressing it. 

Stan Lee is greedy because he charges for an autograph? 

It's not like he is robbing or cheating anyone. He's simply offering a product and charging for it because there is market. If customers find his pricing exorbitant, they have the right as consumers to take their dollars elsewhere. 

I think demanding a product or service for free is the more egregious move here. 

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I don't think anyone has a problem with your opinion. It's the way in which you are expressing it. 

Stan Lee is greedy because he charges for an autograph? 

It's not like he is robbing or cheating anyone. He's simply offering a product and charging for it because there is market. If customers find his pricing exorbitant, they have the right as consumers to take their dollars elsewhere. 

I think demanding a product or service for free is the more egregious move here. 

Well, again, I just call em like I see em so if you find my posting style not to your liking....well, sorry you feel that way. And yep, IMO Stan Lee is greedy as all hell, but not because he charges for autographs, its because of how much he charges for autographs and the fact that he has led about as charmed of a life as one can lead and even at this point in his life, when he has more money than he can possibly spend, he continues to charge exorbitant fee's for signatures, even for young kids. If Stan Lee's fee for autographs was just $5 for a signature, I never even would have replied in this thread. Anyone that can charge a 10 year old $100 to put a signature on a comic is greedy IMO.

And I respect the fact that there are those in here that disagree with my opinion. Again, I respect that fact as I actually respect the fact that people are entitled to their own subjective opinions. You won't see me bashing anyone in here for having the opposite opinion. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

2 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Well, again, I just call em like I see em so if you find my posting style not to your liking....well, sorry you feel that way. And yep, IMO Stan Lee is greedy as all hell, but not because he charges for autographs, its because of how much he charges for autographs and the fact that he has led about as charmed of a life as one can lead and even at this point in his life, when he has more money than he can possibly spend, he continues to charge exorbitant fee's for signatures, even for young kids. If Stan Lee's fee for autographs was just $5 for a signature, I never even would have replied in this thread. 

I'm not really concerned about your posting style or anyone else's, so there is no need to apologize for my feelings. 

So your concern is how much he charges? How would you draw the line in the sand? At which magic price point does one become greedy? For example, would you consider someone greedy for charging $20? Would you consider them a saint for only charging $10? The magic of the free market economy is that you get to choose where to take your dollars, and the service provider gets to set their price.  

And discounts for kids? What's your cutoff age? 12? What if the kid has only been 12 for 3 days? How should he go about verifying age? And here begins the slippery slope. 

I would also say that Stan Lee has worked very hard to get where he is today. He's lived a charmed life? Only because of his own hard work. He grew up in a one-room apartment, shared by the rest of his family. His dad trimmed dresses for a living. Hardly the sort of "charmed" life you believe he lived. I don't begrudge anyone who builds a successful lifestyle, and the fact that you do speaks volumes about your character. 

You certainly have no problem expressing anything that pops into your mind without regard to how it comes across. What you are writing makes you sound a little unstable or perhaps extreme as if you are somehow engaged in a battle with others here when no one is actually battling you at all. You turned a general conversation into an argument about your right to express an opinion -- when in fact, no one ever said you can't have an opinion. We just stated we disagree with what you are writing.

Is Stan Lee greedy? -- probably.

Does he charge too much for a signature (to anyone, not just 10 year old kids)? I think so.

Do I care what he does? Not much.

Do I respect his right to charge that much? Sure-- it's a free country.

Do I respect people who pay that much? It's their money-- they can do whatever they want--light it on fire if they want to.

Do I need to read you repeating what you think about it over and over? No-- once was plenty.

Edited by 01TheDude

And, he'd been just another writer in the industry for two decades until he finally devised his winning SA Marvel formula.  

Hardly a charmed, instant sensation. A lot of perseverance.

Edited by Ken Aldred

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

I'm not really concerned about your posting style or anyone else's, so there is no need to apologize for my feelings. 

So your concern is how much he charges? How would you draw the line in the sand? At which magic price point does one become greedy? For example, would you consider someone greedy for charging $20? Would you consider them a saint for only charging $10? The magic of the free market economy is that you get to choose where to take your dollars, and the service provider gets to set their price.  

And discounts for kids? What's your cutoff age? 12? What if the kid has only been 12 for 3 days? How should he go about verifying age? And here begins the slippery slope. 

I would also say that Stan Lee has worked very hard to get where he is today. He's lived a charmed life? Only because of his own hard work. He grew up in a one-room apartment, shared by the rest of his family. His dad trimmed dresses for a living. Hardly the sort of "charmed" life you believe he lived. I don't begrudge anyone who builds a successful lifestyle, and the fact that you do speaks volumes about your character. 

If you were to take a poll asking people if they thought $100 was a lot of money for a comic artist to ask for signing a comic, what percentage of people do you think would say yes? I am betting it would be WAY over 95%. In fact, I am betting it would even be as high as 98-99%. As for the magic number your asking for, there is none as each person has their own opinions on value as value, just like opinions, is subjective. So I am not going to try and define the magic price point at which most comic collectors go from accepting to saying hell no because its too expensive. There is no point in it as all it will prove is that everyone has a different opinion on value. What I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that anyone who can change a young kid $100 to put a signature on a comic is greedy as hell, at least in my opinion and nothing you can say or show me will ever change my opinion on that fact. The fact that the artist in question is worth $50 million just makes my opinion on the matter that much more solid. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

On 1/4/2018 at 6:00 PM, topofthetotem said:

STAN LEE

SOMEONE STOLE $850K FROM ME TO BUY CONDO!! 

Stan Lee Says Someone Stole $850k from Him to Buy a Condo

EXCLUSIVE

0104-stan-lee-tmz-4.jpg

The investigation into how Stan Lee's bank account got swindled out of $300k has gotten even more bizarre -- it appears someone also used the comic book legend's money to buy a freakin' condo.

Sources close to the Marvel Comics legend tell TMZ ... someone recently plunked down $850k of Stan's dough to buy a condo in WeHo. Neither Stan nor his financial team approved it. We're told the revelation came to light after his team rolled out a full audit following a recent check forgery for $300k.

As we reported ... Stan filed a report with Beverly Hills PD claiming someone forged the check as a loan from Stan's bank account to the merchandising company, Hands of Respect.

We're told the condo purchase smells a lot like the check forgery. Cops are continuing to investigate.

BEFORE THIS THREAD WAS HIJACKED_- here is what it was actually about....

2 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

If you were to take a poll asking people if they thought $100 was a lot of money for a comic artist to ask for signing a comic, what percentage of people do you think would say yes? I am betting it would be WAY over 95%. In fact, I am betting it would even be as high as 98-99%. As for the magic number your asking for, there is none as each person has their own opinions on value as value, just like opinions, is subjective. So I am not going to try and define the magic price point at which most comic collectors go from accepting to saying hell no because its too expensive. There is no point in it as all it will prove is that everyone has a different opinion on value. What I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that anyone who can change a young kid $100 to put a signature on a comic is greedy as hell, at least in my opinion and nothing you can say of show me will ever change my opinion on that fact. 

Opinionated, unyielding...you'll do well here!

7 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

If you were to take a poll asking people if they thought $100 was a lot of money for a comic artist to ask for signing a comic, what percentage of people do you think would say yes? I am betting it would be WAY over 95%. In fact, I am betting it would even be as high as 98-99%. As for the magic number your asking for, there is none as each person has their own opinions on value as value, just like opinions, is subjective. So I am not going to try and define the magic price point at which most comic collectors go from accepting to saying hell no because its too expensive. There is no point in it as all it will prove is that everyone has a different opinion on value. What I can say with absolute 100% certainty is that anyone who can change a young kid $100 to put a signature on a comic is greedy as hell, at least in my opinion and nothing you can say or show me will ever change my opinion on that fact. The fact that the artist in question is worth $50 million just makes my opinion on the matter that much more solid. 

I would not qualify Stan Lee as a comic artist. Writer or editor sure-- but he cannot draw to save his life.

I would have paid 100 bucks for a Frazetta or Wrightson signature (RIP) -- and might pop for one by Steranko. Though I would rather just meet them instead-- and use that money to buy some of their work.

13 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Opinionated, unyielding...you'll do well here!

I doubt it. I tried.......:cry: