• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Strange Tales 97 Grade is in
1 1

19 posts in this topic

a 7.0 is relatively flat and clean now this book has a slight crease in upper right corner and some kind of brown  spot above the N. There is that line but the spine looks great which is a big plus. There is a little writing and some cover wear but the spine is amazing without almost any tics. The back also looks pretty darn good. Could it b a 7.5 maybe i think. Could it b a 7.0 probably but could it b a 6.5 possibly. I'm new at this so take it with a grain of salt. It's such a great comic book with a great story line.

I agree with the previous evaluation, could be anywhere in the 6.5 - 7.5 range though I feel stronger about the higher end of that range. Really nice book ! That 'spot' over the N could be nothing but if it goes through the paper it will be considered a stain. CGC likes a nice spine and this spine looks excellent. This book would benefit from a press but I hate to see that nice spine flattened out. A spot pressing on the the top edge and corner would be best instead of a full press. BTW, I don't think that line will hurt the grade.

8 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

a 7.0 is relatively flat and clean now this book has a slight crease in upper right corner and some kind of brown  spot above the N. There is that line but the spine looks great which is a big plus. There is a little writing and some cover wear but the spine is amazing without almost any tics. The back also looks pretty darn good. Could it b a 7.5 maybe i think. Could it b a 7.0 probably but could it b a 6.5 possibly. I'm new at this so take it with a grain of salt. It's such a great comic book with a great story line.

+1  7.0   I think you called it right. It's an 8.0 with tone. 7.0 overall. A lot of the graded 7.0 Mannarino books have that same look.

What bears mention is the paper quality, colors, and gloss. It's in a miraculous state of preservation, especially when you consider that 50s/early 60s Atlas books were printed on the cheapest paper you could buy.  The storage environment was perfect, neither kept long term in a basement nor an attic. Those colors look like the day it was printed, you almost never see Atlas issues with these type of colors.

5 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I'm going to guess 8.0 even with the corner rumples in the URC. They seem pretty faint. Beauty of a book!  :applause:

I think that 'spot' over the N in the title is the wild card here. If it's a stain that permeates the front cover it may affect the grade. It really is a nice looking book. 

29 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think that 'spot' over the N in the title is the wild card here. If it's a stain that permeates the front cover it may affect the grade. It really is a nice looking book. 

IMO, too small a spot to be of major consideration on a book in this grade range. Devastating on an otherwise NM or better of newer vintage, but not on this, maybe of one tic consideration.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

IMO, too small a spot to be of major consideration on a book in this grade range. Devastating on an otherwise NM or better of newer vintage, but not on this, maybe of one tic consideration.

Yes, I agree, possibly one tic. Maybe the difference between 7.5 and 8.0 .