• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, drotto said:

The truth about human vision.  Most people can not see 4k at the distences people watch TV from.  I would have to find th article, but the jist was this....

1. Most people can see 4k at around 4 feet from the screen.

2. The average person watches at around 10 feet.  At that distance, the average person is capable of about 720 p.

3. Conclusion.  Increasing resolutions beyond a certain point has no benefits, because of limitations of thr human eye.

That's a really good point, as much as folks demand everything be 4K now or bust.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

That's a really good point, as much as folks demand everything be 4K now or bust.

For me 4k is more about HDR than resolution. The expanded color is usually very noticeable.

Another thing to take into account is how was a movie completed. Until the last couple years, movies that were shot in 4k, were finished in 2k to bring down the cost if visual effects.

48 minutes ago, D84 said:

For me 4k is more about HDR than resolution. The expanded color is usually very noticeable.

Another thing to take into account is how was a movie completed. Until the last couple years, movies that were shot in 4k, were finished in 2k to bring down the cost if visual effects.

Another good point.

Even with the Blade movie finally released in 4K, the studio used this time to apply video and audio cleanup. That was why I searched that one down.

High-Def Digest: Blade - 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray (Rating: Highly Recommended!)

15 hours ago, paperheart said:

A gift to @therealsilvermane from Cate Shortland

Do you think there will ever be a sequel to Black Widow?
CS: I think these girls have got a lot of asses still to kick.

I'm quite sure this is just the beginning of a Black Widow trilogy featuring the Yelena Belova character. There's even another Widow character waiting in the wings, Ava Orlova aka Red Widow whose mother was killed as a Red Room operative.

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I remember when Disney limited the windows during which they'd sell new VHS copies of their classic animated films - both to create perceived scarcity and to not cannibalize the box office take on theatrical re-release...but I seriously doubt they'd stop releasing *new* content totally on DVD,

That's simply leaving money on the table for those who don't subscribe to Disney+.

DVD may be dying, but it's far from dead.

Hell - I subscribe to most of the streaming services and still rent ~1 new movie a month from Red Box.

Yes,  I do the same. I stream a lot but do rent the occasional movie from Red Box as well. 

3 hours ago, drotto said:

The truth about human vision.  Most people can not see 4k at the distences people watch TV from.  I would have to find th article, but the jist was this....

1. Most people can see 4k at around 4 feet from the screen.

2. The average person watches at around 10 feet.  At that distance, the average person is capable of about 720 p.

3. Conclusion.  Increasing resolutions beyond a certain point has no benefits, because of limitations of thr human eye.

But UHD uses High Dynamic Range, which can make some movies look much better. Admittedly, if doesn't always.work..And some directors hate it.

I buy most of my movies. I like having a collection so I can pick what I'm in the mood for. Over the weekend I watched. Raimi's Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. I love those movies, and no 4k for those. Just my trusty Blu-ray discs.

Disney must have a contractual obligation to SJ. It cannot simply be 'we must have another female led superhero movie' because not even wokism could generate an idea this bad. 

21 hours ago, TupennyConan said:

Disney must have a contractual obligation to SJ. It cannot simply be 'we must have another female led superhero movie' because not even wokism could generate an idea this bad. 

Have you seen it?

Genuinely curious, because it's currently sitting at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, with reviews noting it's definitely a passing of the torch from ScarJo's Natasha' to Florence Pugh's Yelena.

Even discounting Bosco's "Disney pays off the critics" conspiracy theory, it looks like a decent spy thriller a la a minor Bourne or Jack Ryan film.

I've also seen the articles that note while Taskmaster is, in fact, a woman, it's not their "mom" (Rachel Weitz) - so my long-standing theory was wrong. :(

11 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Have you seen it?

Genuinely curious, because it's currently sitting at 82% on Rotten Tomatoes, with reviews noting it's definitely a passing of the torch from ScarJo's Natasha' to Florence Pugh's Yelena.

Even discounting Bosco's "Disney pays off the critics" conspiracy theory, it looks like a decent spy thriller a la a minor Bourne or Jack Ryan film.

I've also seen the articles that note while Taskmaster is, in fact, a woman, it's not their "mom" (Rachel Weitz) - so my long-standing theory was wrong. :(

Or reality where Disney blocks critics if they don't post positive stories about their parks and productions? And then experience backlash when it takes it too far.

The controversy over Disney blacklisting the LA Times, explained

As reviews of Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok began rolling out in advance of the movie’s November 3 release, a review from one news outlet in particular — the Los Angeles Times — was glaringly absent. And its editors didn’t hold back in explaining why.

In a simple “note to readers,” published November 3, the newspaper explained that it could not review Thor: Ragnarok prior to the film’s release — nor include it or the highly anticipated Star Wars: Episode VIII – The Last Jedi in its annual entertainment Holiday Preview. The reason, the note said, is that Disney (which owns both Marvel and Lucasfilm) had barred LA Times critics from attending advanced press screenings of both movies — and, in fact, any Disney movies — in response to “unfair coverage.” (LA Times film critic Justin Chang only saw and reviewed Thor: Ragnarok once it was released to the public.)

Four days after Disney issued the ban — and barely six hours after several critics groups banded together to condemn it — the company announced that it would lift its restrictions after having “productive discussions with the newly installed leadership at The Los Angeles Times regarding our specific concerns.”

Neither Disney nor its CEO Bob Iger explained why or how the LA Times’s Anaheim report was as “biased and inaccurate” as the company now claims. Even after lifting the ban, Disney has still has not publicly asked for a retraction of the Anaheim story, nor issued any corrections on the content of the report itself. The company’s first statement merely cited an Orange County Register op-ed that calls the LA Times report “a hit piece”; it appeared to stop just short of calling the LA Times “fake news.”

200.gif.ee503a71168b598a1f6c8d3515540a19.gif

Edited by Bosco685

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Or reality where Disney blocks critics if they don't post positive stories about their parks and productions? And then experience backlash when it takes it too far.

The controversy over Disney blacklisting the LA Times, explained

200.gif.ee503a71168b598a1f6c8d3515540a19.gif

Sure, Jan - which is why the LA Times' review of Black Widow is mediocre-to-negative:

"Review: Scarlett Johansson finally gets her Marvel closeup, but ‘Black Widow’ is too little, too late"

Edited by Gatsby77

3 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Sure, which is why the LA Times' review of Black Widow is mediocre-to-negative:

"Review: Scarlett Johansson finally gets her Marvel closeup, but ‘Black Widow’ is too little, too late"

You implied Disney doesn't try to strongarm or positively influence critics.

Reality cracked you across the back of the head. See a medic!

:ohnoez:

I'm sure I'll catch this film on Disney+ (when it is included in the regular monthly fee, not +$30 to watch it), but overall I just have no desire to see this movie.  Not one thing about the trailers have grabbed me, or even made me interested in this "story".  

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

You implied Disney doesn't try to strongarm or positively influence critics.

Reality cracked you across the back of the head. See a medic!

:ohnoez:

1) *Every* movie studio tries to positively influence the critics. See the sudden ridiculous proliferation of Vin Diesel memes that came out-of-nowhere the past two weeks to help promote F9.

2) Your 4-year-old article was clearly on-point, since it specifically cites Disney blacklisting the LA Times after a negative review.

Oh wait - apparently not, since the LA Times review of Black Widow from (checks notes) - last week - is far from positive.

28 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

1) *Every* movie studio tries to positively influence the critics. See the sudden ridiculous proliferation of Vin Diesel memes that came out-of-nowhere the past two weeks to help promote F9.

2) Your 4-year-old article was clearly on-point, since it specifically cites Disney blacklisting the LA Times after a negative review.

Oh wait - apparently not, since the LA Times review of Black Widow from (checks notes) - last week - is far from positive.

I know. Actually summarizing the situation can be tough for you.

180205647_200(1).gif.85934b3ae624fa88e928697a2f5f6ae2.gif

• Los Angeles Times published an article about Disney business practices and how it controls local communities
  • To drive home the point this would not be allowed Disney blocked LAT movie reviewers leading to their exclusion from critic review events
  • Fellow critics rebelled against Disney and publicly noted if it didn't lift the ban they would pass on award votes and reviews
  • 4 days later Disney lifts the ban

So you assumed with all that which took place publicly Disney would then attempt to strong-arm the LAT to get a positive review for Black Widow?

gif-shaking-head.gif.eb0f293d2574bde025648381aef9baf0.gif

43 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

To help with your reality blocker... a few examples of critics that pushed back leading to Disney backtracking on its LAT influence actions.

Meanwhile, some news outlets and critics — including The A.V. Club, Flavorwire, the Boston Globe, and Washington Post columnist Alyssa Rosenberg — said they wouldn’t attend Disney’s advanced press screenings in an act of solidarity with the LA Times’s staff. Less than an hour before Disney lifted its ban, the New York Times also issued a statement confirming it will not go to preview screenings “until access is restored to the Los Angeles Times”

I bought a 4k TV about two weeks ago. It’s a significant improvement from our previous 1080p box.

I assure you we are not four feet from the TV.

Regarding the movie, we are going this weekend. We’ve all been fully vaccinated and haven’t been to a theatre in ~ 16 months. It’s time!