• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BLACK WIDOW: THE MOVIE (TBD)
4 4

2,016 posts in this topic

The current environment is impossible for any movie to meet pre pandemic levels

social distancing creates loss of revenue as seats are designated as buffers 

Cleanings between showings also limits the number of times the movie is available

furthermore i know my local theatre has less showings overall - later start than before

finally - the world is opening up, it’s summer and I am not sure how much people miss the movie theatres compared to being out and getting back to normal 

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

Next weekend is 4 days with the Monday holiday, so F9 will probably be closer to $125MM thru July 5 ($18MM Mon-Thurs, $30MM Fri-Sun, $7MM Mon) but agree that Disney probably shouldn't expect much better than that from BW after 2 weeks. 

Oops you're right the 4th totally slipped my mind, I don't know how much I'd actually adjust my estimate though. I think more people will going out of town to parties, parades, and barbecues rather than the movies. I'll say 110-115 on the high side to be generous. (thumbsu (disclaimer* I'm no financial analyst just an armchair movie enthusiast who checked boxofficemojo for the first time in almost 2 years so my opinion should be taken with than a grain of salt:popcorn:)

57 minutes ago, drotto said:

Considering I'm not seeing ads on TV and Google Trends, it will probably be on the low end.

I do hope I'm wrong, since I like the character and it's the only MCU movie this year that looks interesting to me.

14 minutes ago, piper said:

Despite the pending doom posters are awaiting, the initial reactions look promising:

https://ew.com/movies/black-widow-first-reactions-social-media/

The embargo lifts later today.

IIRC, WW84 had glowing early reviews, too.

Sadly, I'm not sure that I will be able to trust even audience scores for this one, as I think that too much anticipation will lead to too much forgiveness. We'll see, though.

7 hours ago, drotto said:

So far reviews look luke warm to good.

I always count on the super-fanatic MCU (Millennials, Generation Y, Gen Z, iGen) that all they know is Marvel Studios and for all that is dear they will spend every last dollar to boost Disney's final box office take.

Don Cheadle said it best before he deleted this most probably at the request of a certain studio.

doncheadle3.PNG.2e9e4f883cbc6518b8085a11b872fd02.PNG

Same fellow went on to break the movie rewatch world record in seeing Avengers: Endgame 201X.

Riverview man sets Guinness World Record for watching 'Avengers: Endgame'

The healthy fans.