• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicLink 2018 Show 'em if you got 'em
13 13

897 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, picon3 said:

How does ComicLink decide what books go into this round?  It seems to me that it would be bring more money to seller's books if they all closed together.  Is it a volume issue?  Just too many books to run through at one time?  Paul~

Great question.  Anyone know the answer to this one?  There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to it other then for the raw books of course.  The fact that most of the later books are lower grade and a lot this time seemed to be grading companies other then CGC I've always thought there was someone at ComicLink selecting books that were not good enough for the main pages.  But maybe it does have something to do with maximum books in each day.  I know I almost never find books to buy the last day since the drek seems to get bid up with everyone trying to spread out the shipping cost a bit.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Great question.  Anyone know the answer to this one?  There does not seem to be a rhyme or reason to it other then for the raw books of course.  The fact that most of the later books are lower grade and a lot this time seemed to be grading companies other then CGC I've always thought there was someone at ComicLink selecting books that were not good enough for the main pages.  But maybe it does have something to do with maximum books in each day.  I know I almost never find books to buy the last day since the drek seems to get bid up with everyone trying to spread out the shipping cost a bit.

I think its a volume per day thing. Can only close so many auction between 8pm and midnight EST even at 15 seconds apart (think that is 960 auctions max a night).

They also separate the books by era so collectors of certain genres don't have to go thru 100's of pages of listings to find something to spend their money on. I do like that.

-bc

54 minutes ago, bc said:

I think its a volume per day thing. Can only close so many auction between 8pm and midnight EST even at 15 seconds apart (think that is 960 auctions max a night).

They also separate the books by era so collectors of certain genres don't have to go thru 100's of pages of listings to find something to spend their money on. I do like that.

-bc

That makes sense.  Limited time and may too many books.

So I won one CGC book with them... A $35 book

and have to add $65 postage! :tonofbricks:

I wonder how other companies can send books to Belgium for $23 and they want $65. I can even get about 10 CGC books for about $50 with other sellers in the USA.

if they would provide this high postage info before bidding I would have passed.

$65 for one book? COME ON. :mad::censored:

16 minutes ago, 999ghosts said:

I wonder how other companies can send books to Belgium for $23 and they want $65. I can even get about 10 CGC books for about $50 with other sellers in the USA.

if they would provide this high postage info before bidding I would have passed.

Maybe they are mad at you for bad mouthing the CVA sticker. :baiting: Even for domestic shipments, it is not cost justified to buy one 35.00 book.  (shrug)

I love it when I get 9 slabs shipped for $20 and I’m not even mad about 4 slabs for $20 but one year I only won 1 book and was pissec about the $20 rule.

5 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I love it when I get 9 slabs shipped for $20 and I’m not even mad about 4 slabs for $20 but one year I only won 1 book and was pissec about the $20 rule.

I think they even changed that - it is 1-3 schlubs for $20, 4-10 for $25

6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I think they even changed that - it is 1-3 schlubs for $20, 4-10 for $25

You have got to be fricking kidding me.  And of course I win 4 books for the bump.  My luck sucks.

21 minutes ago, mysterio said:
57 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

You have got to be fricking kidding me.  And of course I win 4 books for the bump.  My luck sucks.

Your per book still goes down though. 3/$20 is $6.67 per, 4/$25 is $6.25.  :D

And I thought I was the cheapest @zz of them all...., :insane: 

53 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
1 hour ago, mysterio said:
1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

And I thought I was the cheapest @zz of them all...., :insane: 

Just looking for the silver lining. :foryou:   Not to mention this cr@p adds up. 

Edited by mysterio

Yea - but I usually try to get 7 or 8 books so it’s only $2-$3 a slab.  Was thinking $5 per slab was ok and now I got to account for almost $7 a slab.  I know - poor me.  International guy is talking about $65 a slab.

16 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Yea - but I usually try to get 7 or 8 books so it’s only $2-$3 a slab.  Was thinking $5 per slab was ok and now I got to account for almost $7 a slab.  I know - poor me.  International guy is talking about $65 a slab.

International guy has to pay for “free” healthcare. It evens out. Still a first world problem. 

19 hours ago, 999ghosts said:

Here’s an option. Tell them to hold it until you’re ready to have it shipped. They run an auction every month and it’s possible to pick up a few along the year. It’s just a comic book, you really don’t need it in your hand to prove ownership. 

3 minutes ago, Junkdrawer said:
19 hours ago, 999ghosts said:

I won one CGC book with them... A $35 book

Here’s an option. Tell them to hold it until you’re ready to have it shipped. They run an auction every month and it’s possible to pick up a few along the year. It’s just a comic book, you really don’t need it in your hand to prove ownership

I second this, and should have remembered to mention this to you myself. I don’t pay super high shipping and have done this (especially since I pay via check, so they often haven’t shipped the last auction’s books by the time the next one starts). They’re very accommodating with these requests. 

Just looking for the silver lining. :foryou:   Not to mention this cr@p adds up. 

I was actually referencing the clown, not you.  Sorry for the confusion. :foryou: 

On 4 February 2018 at 5:09 PM, Junkdrawer said:

Here’s an option. Tell them to hold it until you’re ready to have it shipped. They run an auction every month and it’s possible to pick up a few along the year. It’s just a comic book, you really don’t need it in your hand to prove ownership. 

On 4 February 2018 at 5:14 PM, mysterio said:

I second this, and should have remembered to mention this to you myself. I don’t pay super high shipping and have done this (especially since I pay via check, so they often haven’t shipped the last auction’s books by the time the next one starts). They’re very accommodating with these requests. 

Great tip! Thanks Junkdrawer and Mysterio. I already paid for this one, but I keep that in mind for another time.

on the other hand, do they read their mails cause they don't react to the one I send about 5 days or so ago.

9 minutes ago, 999ghosts said:

Great tip! Thanks Junkdrawer and Mysterio. I already paid for this one, but I keep that in mind for another time.

on the other hand, do they read their mails cause they don't react to the one I send about 5 days or so ago.

Give them a call - that's always the best way to handle these type of things. Make sure to get the name of the person you are dealing with and clearly explain the scenario.

They have been really easy to work with over the phone.

-bc