• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you listen for in a comic shop?
3 3

57 posts in this topic

Quickest way to change the patronage at a bar is to change the music that can be played on the jukebox.

I would stay away from Heavy Metal or Rap music...

Shad... going by music stations... Q104.3 Classic Rock is usually safe... 

Z-100 or WPLJ style stuff if you want the teens.

Collectors Comics in Wantagh used to play WDRE / WLIR New Wave... that was one of the few places I could hear the Smiths while I went through books.  Now a days... I guess you would Indie Folk / Songwriter...

But if you are looking to do stuff out there... perhaps... (Can't believe I am saying this) Modern country could go well...

There is also some room for Singer Songwriter / Jam ... heh 

On 1/18/2018 at 12:35 PM, AndyFish said:

As someone who used to manage a chain of supermarkets I can tell you definitively it's important to know what your employees are playing when you're not there.  There needs to be standards set-- and the volume needs to be such that it doesn't cause the shopper to lose focus on what they are there to do-- spend money.

If you run a shop, put the speakers up near the register so the employees don't feel the need to crank it so they can hear it.  Music should be low volume and as middle of the road as you can find.

I love Ozzy, for example, and Crazy Train would make me smile, but play ANY other heavy metal type stuff, or rap, and I'm out of there faster than you can say "Can I help you?".

It blows my mind how many shops don't understand this basic common sense rule.

Play crazy trAin on a continuous loop over and over. 

While i listen to metal (not deaTh metal or that sort, megadeath was about the limit when i used to lift weights), i agree thaT having it blasting in a shop can be offputting. Frankly i don't think much about shop music..Usually a top 40 station in the background is fine. Us old guys don't like most of it, but we're used to hearing it and can block it out.

26 minutes ago, the blob said:

While i listen to metal (not deaTh metal or that sort, megadeath was about the limit when i used to lift weights), i agree thaT having it blasting in a shop can be offputting. Frankly i don't think much about shop music..Usually a top 40 station in the background is fine. Us old guys don't like most of it, but we're used to hearing it and can block it out.

I would probably go as far as saying classic thrash metal; Megadeth, Metallica at moderate volume, would be my limit too, but I agree, I'd leave if some extreme Norwegian satanic death metal was on.  Too skull-crushing, bleak and aggressive.

Although, it would fit in with the general atmosphere in my local Forbidden Planet, as mentioned before.

Edited by Ken Aldred

When I visited one of the leading UK comic shops on Saturday,  I was treated to the chap who came into the shop behind me being lectured on the shops 'rules' by the owner:

"Don't take the comic out the whole way, only half way or it won't go back in the right place and I won't be able to find it later. If you're going to buy it take it out and put it on the top. Don't take it out if you're not going to buy it".

The chap pulled up a book half way, looking like a naughty school boy.

"Can you put that on the top"

"Sorry?"

"Can you take it out and put it on the top"

I left shortly after, as I've never liked that 'song'. I prefer the b-side; "Hello Sir, feel free to browse and let me know if to you need any help"

I'd happily listen to Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse cranked to 11 if it successfully drowned out the nerd chatter of the employees. 

On 1/18/2018 at 11:33 AM, Phicks said:

Background music is fine.  But I have been driven out of comic stores by:

1. Angry metal music.  I understand the sole employee in the store might like it.  But most customers do not.

2. Even angrier rap music with lyrics about gunning down white cops.  This was being played in a Graham Cracker Comics store in Chicago across from the art museum.  Not only unpleasant music, but reverse racism.

3. Staff talking down to other staff.  I have no desire to hear your "I know more than you do" speech belittling your co-worker, particularly when the topic is just comic books. 

I'm still trying to figure out what Happy Metal sounds like.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'd happily listen to Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse cranked to 11 if it successfully drowned out the nerd chatter of the employees. 

Now,that depends on what era...early Napalm?Pre or post Barnes Corpse?Can we listen to Pungent Stench,Extreme Noise Terror?

(metal nerd chatter..)