• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does removing a Spine Roll constitute restoration

18 posts in this topic

Just acquired a copy of Captain America's Weird Tales # 74 with a slight spine roll.

If I placed the comic under some phone books to flatten it, would that earn a PLOD/ Purple CGC label??

Please advise

Fellow Forumite Member

Stephen Lipson

Just putting some weight on it probably isn't going to do any more then temporarily removing the roll. It'll "bounce back" after a short time of being flat. Professional spine roll removal may be the only lasting "fix" for this problem. So, yes, if you have the roll professionally removed (the only dependable way IMO) and it involves disassembling the book, then that constitutes restoration.

it probably got the roll by being in a stack, so why should putting it back in a stack to get rid of the roll be considered restoration?

i say no restoration unless disassembled, pressed, etc.

as for the roll coming back -- no, not necessarily. i've taken rolls out (or most of the roll) using the "50 pounds of junk" (In my case, 400 copies of Youngblood 1) method and, so far, so good, they haven't come back after a year. i suspect our OP will have unloaded the comic before the year is up...

it probably got the roll by being in a stack, so why should putting it back in a stack to get rid of the roll be considered restoration?

as for the roll coming back -- no, not necessarily. i've taken rolls out (or most of the roll) using the "50 pounds of junk" (In my case, 400 copies of Youngblood 1) method and, so far, so good, they haven't come back after a year. i suspect our OP will have unloaded the comic before the year is up...

gossip.gif Humidity helps.

Yep, it helps warp the comic and promotes mold growth and destruction of the paper.

Leave spine roll removal to the pros. foreheadslap.gif

Thanks everyone.

NOW the Logo Weird has some dirt on it.

If I used an eraser to remove the dirt, would that constitute restoration?

Technically, I am REMOVING something and NOT adding to the integrity of the book.

Thanks everyone.

NOW the Logo Weird has some dirt on it.

If I used an eraser to remove the dirt, would that constitute restoration?

Technically, I am REMOVING something and NOT adding to the integrity of the book.

Borock has come on here and said dry erasing is not restoration...

Jim

Restoration, at least to me, is not dependent on adding something to the book. Cleaning and pressing are restoration to me. Just very mild and benign restoration.

Yep, it helps warp the comic and promotes mold growth and destruction of the paper.

I was assuming he didn't live in a tropical rainforest. Mild humidification helps relax the paper fibers, and is a technique that professional conservators employ.

I've actually found that a great way to solve a spine roll is to get the book slabbed. I bought my Action Comics #63 already slabbed, and couldn't figure out why it only graded a 4.5, until I called for the notes and found out the book had a spine roll. I couldn't even tell with the book in a slab.

action63.jpg

Just acquired a copy of Captain America's Weird Tales # 74 with a slight spine roll.

If I placed the comic under some phone books to flatten it, would that earn a PLOD/ Purple CGC label??

Please advise

Fellow Forumite Member

Stephen Lipson

will it get the PLOD and is it restoration are 2 very differnent questions...

I was assuming he didn't live in a tropical rainforest. Mild humidification helps relax the paper fibers, and is a technique that professional conservators employ.

Yes. I just wanted to make sure he didn't attack the book with his clothes iron. 27_laughing.gif My comment wasn't directed at you, it was directed at him. flowerred.gif

I've actually found that a great way to solve a spine roll is to get the book slabbed. I bought my Action Comics #63 already slabbed, and couldn't figure out why it only graded a 4.5, until I called for the notes and found out the book had a spine roll. I couldn't even tell with the book in a slab.

action63.jpg

You should keep this book as a reminder of how things once were. In today's world this would not happen....the book would be consigned to heritage.....sent to friessen.....then graded a 6.0 - 6.5 then slabbed and then sold at the next heritage comic auction.

On second thoughts.....you could make some money here 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You should keep this book as a reminder of how things once were. In today's world this would not happen....the book would be consigned to heritage.....sent to friessen.....then graded a 6.0 - 6.5 then slabbed and then sold at the next heritage comic auction.

Are you saying that Heritage has changed from using Nelson to Friessen? Is this statement based on fact or just conjecture based on the announcement regarding Friessen's new business?

Conjecture of course..............and only my personal opinion..........which is totally unfounded..........but don't heritage have a corporate connection with CGC or CGC's parent company....or is it just the individuals in each company......I don't know anymore, it just gets so confusing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way TTH2, you are not suggesting that Matt Nelson pressed for Heritage, are you? or is that just conjecture.hm

By the way TTH2, you are not suggesting that Matt Nelson pressed for Heritage, are you? or is that just conjecture.hm

It is based upon fairly reliable sources.