• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pressing overhang
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I recently bought a new book and noticed that there's overhang on the right cover. This overhang has resulted in rippling/non CB creasing of the cover in this extra area. Would pressing be able to take care of this as it would it other parts of the cover? It seems like if pressure was applied to the entire comic as is, there wouldn't be anything pushing back on this section of the cover to allow it to straighten out. Is this correct?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

10 hours ago, AJ0605 said:

I recently bought a new book and noticed that there's overhang on the right cover. This overhang has resulted in rippling/non CB creasing of the cover in this extra area. Would pressing be able to take care of this as it would it other parts of the cover? It seems like if pressure was applied to the entire comic as is, there wouldn't be anything pushing back on this section of the cover to allow it to straighten out. Is this correct?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pressing can fix this. A comic board or equivalent will be placed between the cover and page one to give it the support it needs to be corrected.

18 hours ago, comicquant said:

Its possible to have the overhang pressed (and fixed).  It just boils down to having someone who knows what they're doing.  Below is a book @joeypost pressed and you'll notice the jagged overhang at the top of the first photo is fixed in the second.

ff5_before.jpg

ff5_after.jpg

Joeypost did amazing work on my Saga #1 that was an eBay “near mint”.  Came back cgc 9.6. Highly recommended. 

2 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I knew he would come in here with an unconstructive and not helpful comment. It's cool its his business. 

You're just mad because he pointed out that your way was wrong.  I think that was a helpful comment.   I was also going to say you will never be as helpful as he has but, I won't. 

4 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

You're just mad because he pointed out that your way was wrong.  I think that was a helpful comment.   I was also going to say you will never be as helpful as he has but, I won't. 

There is a lot of information out there about paper conservation. There are many ways in which to straighten out a comic cover.  It may not be the way some people do it but it isn't necessarily the wrong way. And I am not mad at all I just find it humorous how secretive people are about it. 

2 hours ago, joeypost said:

What the OP needs to keep in mind is that while overhang can be removed, CGC will not encapsulate books with severe overhang as they tend to get damaged in the case.

This is a good point. I wonder at what point of overhang they will reject it.  Anyone know?

2 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

There is a lot of information out there about paper conservation. There are many ways in which to straighten out a comic cover.  It may not be the way some people do it but it isn't necessarily the wrong way. And I am not mad at all I just find it humorous how secretive people are about it. 

I believe your way is prone to leaving an imprint of the board on the cover, a crease at the edge of the board. Then you need to press it again to get rid of the crease. I'm not even a presser but I'm aware that sticking a board behind the cover is amateur. Sorry.

8 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe your way is prone to leaving an imprint of the board on the cover, a crease at the edge of the board. Then you need to press it again to get rid of the crease. I'm not even a presser but I'm aware that sticking a board behind the cover is amateur. Sorry.

If you treat the paper with paper conservation best practices in mind there is no crease or imprint. There are several ways to achieve the same goal without hurting the paper. 

5 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

If you treat the paper with paper conservation best practices in mind there is no crease or imprint. There are several ways to achieve the same goal without hurting the paper. 

Indeed, you may be experienced enough to achieve the proper results. However, maybe the OP, or others reading your advice of putting a board between the paper and the cover, are not experienced and trying it would hurt the book. I just don't think you, or anyone else, should be offering pressing tips to novices. I don't see the Board doctors giving medical advice here or the Day Traders giving stock tips. It's not a matter of being protective or secretive, it's just common sense. Sorry.

Thanks everyone. I was just curious if a professional would be able to fix that part of the cover with a press, and it sounds like that shouldn’t be a problem. Hopefully, there’s not so much overhang to the point that cgc wouldn’t grade it

31 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Indeed, you may be experienced enough to achieve the proper results. However, maybe the OP, or others reading your advice of putting a board between the paper and the cover, are not experienced and trying it would hurt the book. I just don't think you, or anyone else, should be offering pressing tips to novices. I don't see the Board doctors giving medical advice here or the Day Traders giving stock tips. It's not a matter of being protective or secretive, it's just common sense. Sorry.

Good point. No injury intended.

6 minutes ago, AJ0605 said:

Thanks everyone. I was just curious if a professional would be able to fix that part of the cover with a press, and it sounds like that shouldn’t be a problem. Hopefully, there’s not so much overhang to the point that cgc wouldn’t grade it

CGC uses wedges in the inner well a lot more extensively these days. This allows them to encapsulate a book with overhang that, previously, they would have 'rejected'.  

Edited by Bomber-Bob