• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boat anchor SA keys
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Someone in the AF-15 thread used the term “boat anchors” to describe some keys that were, obviously, not desirable from a fiscal standpoint and were not moving upwards but sinking.   

Curious what folks think the current key SA boat anchors” are. 

5 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

No key is a boat anchor at the right price and every key is a boat anchor at the wrong price  :idea:

Words of wisdom that are often ignored in investing of all kinds!

Man, I just want a list not all this Mumbo jumbo stuff like “What is Life!”

I’m not smart. Don’t know my multiplecation tables past the fives, you know.

I couldn’t get into ART SCHOOL. Everybody gets into art school BUT NOT ME. 

I got money tho:bigsmile:  I’ll throw it at any CGC slab, anywhere, anytime in my quest to become THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK COLLECTOR IN THE WORLD!! 

Who's got something to sell?  Money is simply a means of exchange to me. I slabbed Moon Knight #1 (1982) and it came back 5.0! That’s how serious I am. 

Edited by NoMan

Dropped, then leveled off, as I recall you already know about ST 110, and FF 45 also had seen much better days.

In lower-mid grades, Hulk 1 and TTA 27 both had cooled to varying degrees, but the Hulk has recovered a bit -again based on sketchy recollection of a comment and anecdote there.

Cap 117 hasn't reached its Civil War peak I think,  Oh, not an anchor at all, but low-mid grade Spideys haven't moved much in 10 years.

Sorry I could visit this visit, Grebal. Moms medical stuff takes president. She’s doing welll. I’ll try in July on my next visit. 

Dumped about a grand at Bedrock Comics, tho. Richards gotta like my Houston visits. No mints. 

Just now, NoMan said:

Sorry I could visit this visit, Grebal. Moms medical stuff takes president. She’s doing welll. I’ll try in July on my next visit. 

Dumped about a grand at Bedrock Comics, tho. Richards gotta like my Houston visits. No mints. 

No sweat amigo, thousand sounds great, mostly X-Men?  What else pokes your buttons these days aside from savvy 'investment/spec' books?

1 hour ago, grebal said:

No sweat amigo, thousand sounds great, mostly X-Men?  What else pokes your buttons these days aside from savvy 'investment/spec' books?

Xmen only. 10 more to go to complete run. Only one more key, or two. The Alpha Flight apperence. 

I think Richard at Bedrock has fair graders. 

Edited by NoMan

With all due respect, the proper way to start this thread is to suggest that Our Army at War 83 and Adventure 247 are now boat anchor keys, then also throw in something from left field like any non- high grade (vagueness is essential here ) DD1 or Action 242.

Then disappear for three weeks and watch it grow to 47 pages. Then pop back in when it slows down and say Sgt Fury 1. That will be good for another dozen pages on whether it's actually a key. 

That oughtta do it (thumbsu

On 1/26/2018 at 9:54 AM, NoMan said:

Someone in the AF-15 thread used the term “boat anchors” to describe some keys that were, obviously, not desirable from a fiscal standpoint and were not moving upwards but sinking.   

Curious what folks think the current key SA boat anchors” are. 

Adventure #260,  Showcase #9, 10 (Lois Lane is not a superhero),  

Marvel is fairly anchor-proof, you can always sell a Marvel Key.  First Baron Strucker in Sgt Fury 5 came back down sharply from its movie climb.  That's all I can think of.

How obscure are we talking?  I'd like to throw in Hulk 3, 5 and 6, (Ringmaster, Tyrannus, and Metal Master) as potential candidates.  No one's favorites here, and why have them if 1 is out of reach for most, and 2 already popped?

2 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Marvel is fairly anchor-proof, you can always sell a Marvel Key.  First Baron Strucker in Sgt Fury 5 came back down sharply from its movie climb.  That's all I can think of.

How obscure are we talking?  I'd like to throw in Hulk 3, 5 and 6, (Ringmaster, Tyrannus, and Metal Master) as potential candidates.  No one's favorites here, and why have them if 1 is out of reach for most, and 2 already popped?

This also gets into your definition of “key”. I doubt I’m in the minority in questioning whether 1st Baron Strucker ever elevated to key status. Movie hyped for 30 minutes? Definitely. 

I don’t think the Hulks you mentioned are key for those very minor characters that appear within, they’re a certain level of key because they’re single digit Hulks. Just like ASM#7-8 aren’t key because of 2nd Vulture or the Living Brain, they’re desirable because they’re single digit ASM. 

Edited by mysterio

I am fearful of any book that has seen rapid price increases due to movie speculation - especially when that character was not an important/popular character prior to such climb. 

For clarification, a book like TOS39 climbing due to the Iron Man movies while fitting the rapid price increase requirement is somewhat insulated as Iron Man was always a "key" Marvel character (although certainly a B-Lister compared to his A-Lister status now) - whereas, I have my concerns on a book like FF52 - while Black Panther is a cool character (and I wish I owned this book) his importance to the Marvel universe has never reached the heights of being a B-Lister, except all of a sudden because he has a movie coming out (which looks amazing).  I worry that a book like FF52 will see a decline like that of FF45 (again another book that spiked a D list team/first appearance to prices paid for more important characters).

I also think all Villain first appearances that spike are overvalued - except for FF5 or other such characters that are instrumental/the big villains.  Maybe Iron Man #55 has staying power, but I also think it will drop.  I do think there is an exception for these villain books for Golden and Silver Age Classic villains for Batman and Superman (mainly because collecting "keys" for either hero is tough as 1st appearances are clearly out of range, so picking up their "rogue galleries" is the best some can do - i.e., I think books like Batman 121 and Action Comics 242 are somewhat insulated).

Edited by Chillax23

On 1/29/2018 at 9:04 AM, Chillax23 said:

I am fearful of any book that has seen rapid price increases due to movie speculation - especially when that character was not an important/popular character prior to such climb. 

For clarification, a book like TOS39 climbing due to the Iron Man movies while fitting the rapid price increase requirement is somewhat insulated as Iron Man was always a "key" Marvel character (although certainly a B-Lister compared to his A-Lister status now) - whereas, I have my concerns on a book like FF52 - while Black Panther is a cool character (and I wish I owned this book) his importance to the Marvel universe has never reached the heights of being a B-Lister, except all of a sudden because he has a movie coming out (which looks amazing).  I worry that a book like FF52 will see a decline like that of FF45 (again another book that spiked a D list team/first appearance to prices paid for more important characters).

I also think all Villain first appearances that spike are overvalued - except for FF5 or other such characters that are instrumental/the big villains.  Maybe Iron Man #55 has staying power, but I also think it will drop.  I do think there is an exception for these villain books for Golden and Silver Age Classic villains for Batman and Superman (mainly because collecting "keys" for either hero is tough as 1st appearances are clearly out of range, so picking up their "rogue galleries" is the best some can do - i.e., I think books like Batman 121 and Action Comics 242 are somewhat insulated).

I agree 100%.  I feel the B-D characters will drop, just not as low as they used to be, and I think it’ll be tougher to get em way cheap or with the discounts you used to see.  

You’ll still get a nice discount on say a nice ST 110 now, but it will really just take it back to a more reasonable and rightful pricepoint.  The B-D keys still gain year by year but will take a long time to get to their “hot” period prices.  IMO.

51 minutes ago, Knightsofold said:

I agree 100%.  I feel the B-D characters will drop, just not as low as they used to be, and I think it’ll be tougher to get em way cheap or with the discounts you used to see.  

You’ll still get a nice discount on say a nice ST 110 now, but it will really just take it back to a more reasonable and rightful pricepoint.  The B-D keys still gain year by year but will take a long time to get to their “hot” period prices.  IMO.

Agreed - I was not implying that books like ST110 will plummet, rather that at its peak it was overvalued and will correct back down to a lower price (which it has already - although I still think a bit of room to drop) and then (as you mentioned) any price increase will be slow and steady (which is appropriate versus massive gains based on speculation).

I am really interested to see what happens to Iron Man 55 - I think that book (while awesome) is likely due a big correction - it just doesn't have the impact that a villain book like FF5 does (i.e., I don't think Thanos is any more important than Galactus - but IM55 far out prices FF49), but perhaps I am under estimating the importance of Thanos.