• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite "Strong Man" or "Strong Woman," and why?
2 2

121 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Aren't Thor's powers magical?   The Supes I used to know wasn't so omnipotent against magic.

It depends on the how the magic is used. If it just enhances strength (e.g. "Shazam") Supes seems to duke it out with the best of them. Spells and such, not so good...

Edited by Batman

59 minutes ago, Batman said:

Supergirl. However Wonder Woman would probably outmatch her through experience.

Post-Crisis Supergirl was touted as being stronger than Superman when she first crash landed on Earth. Although that was probably due to Superman having more control and being able to pull his punches.

JUN050341._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Probably not ;) 

Power Girl is just giving her the ol' rope-a-dope. And can someone please give Supergirl a cookie? She is way too skinny!

6 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Last time I checked, Superman can be killed with some Kryptonite. Thor is immortal.

Thor wins.

You Marvel kids... Always with the Kryptonite  :eyeroll:  You know that stuff isn't exactly freely available during the average bout of fisticuffs.

Thor may be "immortal" however can still be defeated by a better opponent. And Superman doesn't need to use an axe.

Thor's probably not going to die but he's certainly going to get a good kicking ;) 

9 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Power Girl is just giving her the ol' rope-a-dope. And can someone please give Supergirl a cookie? She is way too skinny!

Having read that issue, I can safely say 1) no, and 2) definitely.

23 minutes ago, Batman said:

You Marvel kids... Always with the Kryptonite  :eyeroll:  You know that stuff isn't exactly freely available during the average bout of fisticuffs.

Thor may be "immortal" however can still be defeated by a better opponent. And Superman doesn't need to use an axe.

Thor's probably not going to die but he's certainly going to get a good kicking ;) 

I like Thor. Feel free to like whoever you want, however inferior they may be.

10 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The Asgardians have been retconned as extradimensional aliens, so it's alien vs alien.

It's my duty as a nerd to point this out.

I apologise.

Isn't Thor's mother a god?

Edited by Batman

They're all aliens.  The entire pantheon. Also, they're not truly immortal.

It's been given a more science-fictional spin.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

They're all aliens.  The entire pantheon. Also, they're not truly immortal.

It's been given a more science-fictional spin.

Does he still have to eat the golden apples to stay young, fit and not truly immortal?

1 minute ago, Batman said:

Does he still have to eat the golden apples to stay young, fit and not truly immortal?

I don't recall that being mentioned in the films, and there are huge gaps in my comic book reading here.

4 hours ago, Batman said:

This is the deal with Superman he is a god on earth. If he was on Asgard he wouldn't be so godly. All Thor has got to do with Loki's help is get the Man of Steel a one way ticket to Asgard.

btw I never got this. Maybe you or someone can explain?

What confuses me is if Superman gets his powers from the yellow sun than how can he still be Superman the strongest one there is in other galaxies that don't have the yellow sun?

I think the DC writers over the years really forgot the concept that the reason why Superman got his powers is because of the yelllow sun the Earth rotates around, and kind of pushed under the rug how on Krypton with it's red sun that Superman would be just an ordinary civilian with no powers or similar places without a yellow sun.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

9 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is the deal with Superman he is a god on earth. If he was on Asgard he wouldn't be so godly. All Thor has got to do with Loki's help is get the Man of Steel a one way ticket to Asgard.

btw I never got this. Maybe you or someone can explain?

What confuses me is if Superman gets his powers from the yellow sun than how can he still be Superman the strongest one there is in other galaxies that don't have the yellow sun?

I think the DC writers over the years really forgot the concept that the reason why Superman got his powers is because of the yelllow sun the Earth rotates around, and kind of pushed under the rug how on Krypton with it's red sun that Superman would be just an ordinary civilian with no powers or similar places without a yellow sun.

I agree the writers over the years probably forgot to take this into account with Superman's jaunts to far off places. There's always going to be inconsistencies in writing when it's done by multiple writers over 8 decades. However the concept of Superman's powers without a yellow sun has been written into the modern comics. His body acts like a battery, storing the sun's radiation, and giving him a power reserve. Of course, this isn't limitless and the more he uses his powers, the quicker it's depleted.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

I agree the writers over the years probably forgot to take this into account with Superman's jaunts to far off places. There's always going to be inconsistencies in writing when it's done by multiple writers over 8 decades. However the concept of Superman's powers without a yellow sun has been written into the modern comics. His body acts like a battery, storing the sun's radiation, and giving him a power reserve. Of course, this isn't limitless and the more he uses his powers, the quicker it's depleted.

Thanks for that. That explains it.

:idea:

So Thor just has to get Superman away from a place that is under a yellow sun and get him to use his powers until they are depleted.

Thor for the win!

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Thanks for that. That explains it.

:idea:

So Thor just has to get Superman away from a place that is under a yellow sun and get him to use his powers until they are depleted.

Thor for the win!

Or Superman just has to keep Thor away from those Golden Apples... ;) 

31 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

The early Marvel Thor issues made the importance of him being away from his hammer the key to his powers. Or having to strike the cane to become Thor.

That was problematic (not to mention cheesy). You might like that being a DC fan since those books are pure cheddar.

Naturally, DC created the blueprint that Marvel would copy.

1 hour ago, Batman said:

Naturally, DC created the blueprint that Marvel would copy.

Yes, DC stole bought the work of Siegel and Shuster. Marvel expanded that idea 10 times over and made the characters live in REAL places, have real lives/conversations/problems, and be somewhat plausible in how they came into existence. Same exact concept. Thanks, DC