• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your favorite "Strong Man" or "Strong Woman," and why?
2 2

121 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

Yes, DC stole bought the work of Siegel and Shuster. Marvel expanded that idea 10 times over and made the characters live in REAL places, have real lives/conversations/problems, and be somewhat plausible in how they came into existence. Same exact concept. Thanks, DC

Mutants. Not plausible and far too many.

On the other hand, we have an alien, a super rich guy who uses his money in the pursuit of justice, an Amazonian warrior princess, a freak lab accident dude, and a guy who acquires a powerful weapon in the convenient shape of a ring. Far more imaginative and 20+ years earlier.

Having said all of that, I should point out when I said "blueprint", I was jokingly referring to your "cheesy" comments. But defend your mutants, if you will...

Come on Superman would clearly destroy Thor and the Hulk in a fight - people may like Thor or Hulk better, but to propose they would beat Superman in a fight is ludicrous :) 

Thor - a hammer, super strength, ability to fly (kind of) and Lightning.

Hulk - super strength and jumping

Superman - Super strength, Heat Vision, Freeze Breath, Flight, XRay Vision, and Super Speed

Superman has equal or better strength to both of them, more super powers, and most importantly is MUCH faster than both of them.  Based on how slow (in comparison) the Hulk is how would he even hit Superman and the same goes for Thor (unless I am missing something and both Hulk and Thor move at the speed of light?).

A better tilt would be the Hulk vs Doomsday - but again, Doomsday would win because he is faster

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Porcupine would knock him quilly!

I've just read the issue of Mark Gruenwald's Captain America where Porcupine dies. A sad story.

Just now, Ken Aldred said:

I've just read the issue of Mark Gruenwald's Captain America where Porcupine dies. A sad story.

It really is.I bought that issue off the rack as a kid,struck a chord.Hence my love for ol' Gentry.

Pretty sure this is about what OUR FAVORITE strong character is -- not your sloppy opinion of who can beat who when placing imaginary characters in some battle that never happens in any relevant comic universe. Therefore, anyone's answer is valid. Stick to your DC lane all you want. They seem to hand out super powers like candy over there to any form of being (Man. girl, baby, boy, dog, Jimmy Olsen, any of the various Superman harem etc). Seems like we are focusing on a DC versus marvel fan boy argument that has gone on since the 1960s.

And yes-- anyone understands how impressive Superman's list of powers are though one thing overlooked is that he often does POORLY from a tactical  standpoint in using those powers. For instance-- standing there letting some crook fire bullets at you when you could just slice through the guns with your vision is not only less effective, it is also prone to more casualties (those bullets can ricochet and hit others). Or a blast of cold air to freeze the guns. Or super speed to take away the guns or simply knock the crooks out. He does similar silly stuff in battles I have read. The man lacks a killer instinct when he fights. FINISH HIM already Superman-- what is taking so long if you are so amazing?

:)

I love most every often-mentioned character in the thread (Thing, Hulk, Thor, Superman) but want to give shout-outs to some as-yet unmentioneds.

I love Martian Manhunter; someone threw out Iron Man earlier the well-rounded strong guy; MM would be that too.

Marvel's Hercules -- I love how he begins a battle saying "I give thee the gift." A fun character in any fight scene. 

The one strong guy that I rarely rooted for was Namor. If he were really as strong as his ego, he would mop the floor with very character cited in this entire chain at once. Sasquatch is a close second to Namor.

Wonder Woman is easily my favorite "strong woman" as I love the design of the character, the history of the character, and what she stands for. Plus she has been a mascot for feminism and women's rights for the last 50+ years so the influence she has had outside of comics is really 2nd to none for female characters, at least IMO. Can't ask for much more than that from a comic character.

As for my favorite "strong man", thats a tough one and definitely requires some thinking. Just so many solid choices  to coose from.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Pretty sure this is about what OUR FAVORITE strong character is -- not your sloppy opinion of who can beat who when placing imaginary characters in some battle that never happens in any relevant comic universe. Therefore, anyone's answer is valid. Stick to your DC lane all you want. They seem to hand out super powers like candy over there to any form of being (Man. girl, baby, boy, dog, Jimmy Olsen, any of the various Superman harem etc). Seems like we are focusing on a DC versus marvel fan boy argument that has gone on since the 1960s.

You're right, it is. And I'm sure this conversation would be better placed over at Comicvine. But isn't it good to take a trip down memory lane and revive that old rivalry? Take a break from the serious stuff and talk about the characters in the only way true comic geeks can? ... BY COMPARISON!

Have to say, it's good to break out the inner 10 year old every now and again. It's a reminder of why comic books were - and still are - so entertaining. Just remember not to take things too seriously :) 

Now, please continue with your inaccurate diatribe on the most powerful strong man in comic books...  ;) 

1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

for my favorite "strong man", thats a tough one and definitely requires some thinking. Just so many solid choices  to coose from.

Indeed. Coose charefully  :wink:

Nobody for Hercules? 

The demi-god which was enthralled by battle but never at the expense of his honour.

Cain Marko - The unstoppable Juggernaut 

Sentry - The bipolar superman?

And last but not least, Punisher! The man who killed the marvel universe.

2 hours ago, rebelpk said:

Nobody for Hercules? 

Only if that Hercules is part of an acronym ;) 

Always liked the original Captain Marvel, or "SHAZAM!" as we now have to call him. Particularly the modern interpretation of the character. Physically he's a good match for Superman, he just lacks those extra powers. And the whole Billy Batson thing gives some great scope to storylines.