• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

According to eBay, by 2021, PayPal is Out and Adyen is In
2 2

50 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I still don't know what payment intermediation means.  Is it the same as payment collecting?

I know a guy who knows a guy that knows about the thing.......the other thing.

6 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

I like the idea of competition to Paypal.  According to Ebay, "most sellers can expect their costs of payments processing to be reduced". We'll see :wishluck:  

But will this reduce the fees coming from Paypal of 3%

I would prefer the 10% ebay takes to be reduced over a 3% or lower fee.

21 minutes ago, jdennis3 said:

But will this reduce the fees coming from Paypal of 3%

I would prefer the 10% ebay takes to be reduced over a 3% or lower fee.

I don't really care if it's a 1% reduction in my e-bay fees or a 1% reduction in paypal/adyen fees = win for me.

1 minute ago, 1Cool said:

I don't really care if it's a 1% reduction in my e-bay fees or a 1% reduction in paypal/adyen fees = win for me.

True if it is a equal reduction though at 10% there is more room to go down lower. But, in reality I agree with the below comment lol

17 minutes ago, misterrmystery said:

Agreed but I doubt Feebay will reduce their costs.:flamed:

32 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

eBay made a fortune for its shareholders with the sale of PayPal. It was fairly obvious that as soon as their processing agreement with PayPal ended EBay would be trying to make a new block of cheddar. Have no doubt that adyen is eBay owned or controlled. 

Being familiar with the greed of Ebay, I agree they have a stake in Adyen. They always say it's for their customers, but bottom line is, it's whatever benefits Ebays bottom line.

2 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

eBay made a fortune for its shareholders with the sale of PayPal. It was fairly obvious that as soon as their processing agreement with PayPal ended EBay would be trying to make a new block of cheddar. Have no doubt that adyen is eBay owned or controlled. 

1 hour ago, misterrmystery said:

Being familiar with the greed of Ebay, I agree they have a stake in Adyen. They always say it's for their customers, but bottom line is, it's whatever benefits Ebays bottom line.

1 hour ago, mattn792 said:

Any of these folks ring a bell as eBay insiders?

https://www.adyen.com/about

The company is privately held and based in the Netherlands, so even if eBay owns a stake I don't think Adyen would have to divulge that information.

The founder of eBay, and largest individual shareholder, is also the largest individual sharedholder of PayPal. Pierre Omidyar .
Most of the names in Adyen appear to be Dutch. They are based in the Netherlands.

Why eBay abandoned PayPal for a smaller European competitor

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/01/why-ebay-abandoned-paypal-for-a-smaller-european-competitor.html

At a quick glance, it seems to me the only place Adyen will supposedly save merchants any kind of significant money is if payments are made using ACH:

Adyen:  https://www.adyen.com/pricing/full-list

PayPal: 2.9% + $0.30, regardless of payment method

This is assuming Adyen's interchange++ works out to roughly 2.9% (wonder if it could end up being higher though...).

17 hours ago, BeachBum said:

Looks like Adyen is the platform eBay will be using to take in payments so eBay can get the processing fees from seller, something they lost when they separated from PayPal. It's Billions of dollars in processing fees. Right now PayPal is such a seamless payment integration for me I worry what the new system that eventually be forced on us will be like. If eBay starts holding back money a day or two (to earn interest) or forcing sellers to ship before payment is sent to their bank accounts it could awful. 

So ebay made billions selling paypal and then started missing their 3% and want it back.  I guess paypal had its run, but anyone buying paypal stock could have guessed that would happen.