• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

According to eBay, by 2021, PayPal is Out and Adyen is In
2 2

50 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2018 at 8:56 PM, roach04 said:

I just got the email too.  Be interesting to see how this goes.  I think you guys are bang on - why let PayPal get the fees when eBay can get them (again).  I'm trying to remember why they sold PayPal in the first place...but too lazy to Google it.  

Never a dull moment with eBay.

Carl Icahn forced it.

My takeaway from this is that, when the dust settles, we will now have our money and financial information split between two different companies... since as a seller you'll have to offer both payment options to maximize sales.  And that means twice as many chances of security breaches, fraud, etc... not to mention the PITA with funds being divided up among two accounts for no particular reason.

I must admit, though, from ebay's perspective I 100% understand why they did this... it was free money sitting on the ground. Too tempting not to just pick it up.  Once they separated from Paypal this day was inevitable.

The only issue I see that might affect me is that as a seller I will have to accept both Paypal and Ayden so I will have to have 2 accounts which I don't like.
In a few years that will minimize and I might even close my paypal account which I use 95% of the time on ebay only.

Unfortunately ebay still controls the largest shares of buyers outside of Amazon. The only choice is to run your own site and drive traffic there. 15% is not a problem
for me as my margins are very nice or I wouldn't be selling to begin with. Judging on the last few months its going to be a very good year for ebay comic sales.

4 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

The only issue I see that might affect me is that as a seller I will have to accept both Paypal and Ayden so I will have to have 2 accounts which I don't like.
In a few years that will minimize and I might even close my paypal account which I use 95% of the time on ebay only.

Unfortunately ebay still controls the largest shares of buyers outside of Amazon. The only choice is to run your own site and drive traffic there. 15% is not a problem
for me as my margins are very nice or I wouldn't be selling to begin with. Judging on the last few months its going to be a very good year for ebay comic sales.

I have a strong suspicion Ayden is going to be invisible to buyers and sellers.  As a buyer, you're going to have the choice of paying by credit card or ACH, or using Paypal. If you choose CC or ACH, eBay will take (and store, for future purchases) your CC or ACH info and complete the sale. Ayden will do the behind-the-scenes processing. To a buyer, they're just paying eBay for their win. Sellers will get paid by eBay. Buyers and Sellers will not be transacting with one another, they will both transact with eBay. They are aiming for a seamless transaction, where you don't ever leave eBay to complete your purchase, just like buying on Amazon.

Edited by stock_rotation

One thing that may happen is that it will allow more growth for PayPal since PayPal will not be bound to any agreements that it currently has with eBay.  I do not believe that this spells doom for PayPal in the long run at all. 

I was thinking about this last night, and they say fees will go down for sellers.  And maybe they will, for bank transfers.

But from what I read, they want their checkout to be more like Amazon.  When I read that, I feel like that means more credit cards, so now you know those fees will be pushed on to the seller, so my guess is they will drop the % sellers pay for bank transfers, but now we'll be stuck paying the 6% or whatever the cards charge on top of the transaction fees.

If i've learned 1 thing in the last decade or so on ebay (on and off) nothing ever changes to help sellers.  Heck, they even lowered the "bonus" for being a TRS, if they are not taking care of the guys that are busting their butts and giving them a large percent of their revenue, who do you think they're going to protect?