• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With what issue did the Silver age Spider-man issues stop.
2 2

48 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Yes we can see how well that works in politics too... lol 

CGC still seems to use Overstreet as their source. 

Indeed, on both sides of the pond!

Did the Overstreet ONE card have 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and Gem Mint on it? Cant recall :wink:

I'm surprised at such a simple question. I considered that it was a done deal concerning the ages as I've heard so many collectors mentioning the Golden Silver Bronze even the Copper ages with confidence. So basically it is not set in stone unless as a poster mentioned the Overstreet guide steps in and makes some sort of official announcement .   Paging Overstreet...Paging Overstreet! xD

2 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I'm surprised at such a simple question. I considered that it was a done deal concerning the ages as I've heard so many collectors mentioning the Golden Silver Bronze even the Copper ages with confidence. So basically it is not set in stone unless as a poster mentioned the Overstreet guide steps in and makes some sort of official announcement .   Paging Overstreet...Paging Overstreet! xD

It's even worse when you try to draw the line for copper around here. 

14 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Speaking of Overstreet didn't they use to issue small cards that had the different page grades on it such as the white to off-white grades, I wonder what happened to that as I found it useful at times ?

It tuned out that the GEM cards were printed on the wrong stock paper so that the images were off.    They faded away pretty quick. Some stores had brought a lot of them so they had them in stock longer than places who only bought a few, thinking they could get more.

22 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Maybe a transition with ASM 96, the first relevance / drug issue, May 71, although about a year after Green Lantern 76, April 70, but fitting in well with Green Lantern 85, August 71.

Makes good sense.

What makes the ages is the content, not the dates or numbers. The major changes in the tone or "feeling" of the storylines and characters are what separated GA from SA (why else would SA start in the middle of the 50's?) and same with the shift in socially-relevant Bronze-Age iconic stories (GL76) and for that reason the Drug/Code issues of ASM begin ASM's true start of social-relevance.

1-100. 100 issues of Silver age Spider-man, a nice, round number. I've always thought as 1-100 representing Spider-man's silverage. The introduction of Morbius in 101, the first of the bronzeage Spider-man issues, Morbius being a bronze age character. The issue 100 itself seems to close the chapter on the silverage for Spider-man and the introduction of Morbius in the next issue opens a new one.

3 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

1-100. 100 issues of Silver age Spider-man, a nice, round number. I've always thought as 1-100 representing Spider-man's silverage. The introduction of Morbius in 101, the first of the bronzeage Spider-man issues, Morbius being a bronze age character. The issue 100 itself seems to close the chapter on the silverage for Spider-man and the introduction of Morbius in the next issue opens a new one.

It would be convenient, however, the introduction of a vampire (or werewolf) or what have you, would not have happened without defiance of the Comics Code, and hence, makes a stronger argument for ASM 96.

4 hours ago, tv horror said:

Also 100 left on the four armed cliffhanger leading into 101 it never ends, as for myself I have nearly a full run from 1-700 plus all the spin offs.   

Nicely done! :headbang:

Image result for spidey web spin gif

21 hours ago, tv horror said:

Speaking of Overstreet didn't they use to issue small cards that had the different page grades on it such as the white to off-white grades, I wonder what happened to that as I found it useful at times ?

They did, I mentioned them earlier in the thread:

23 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Indeed, on both sides of the pond!

Did the Overstreet ONE card have 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and Gem Mint on it? Cant recall :wink:

Image result for overstreet one card  image.jpeg.8a804e801d802153c5e5fa391f6821a4.jpeg

I personally think silver age ended when comics moved into the 15 cent period. All periods have a significant event that calls it an age I think the change in price warrents this. Silver age began with the introduction of 12 cent comics given the exception of the 3 10 cent examples that were right before the transition