• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

With what issue did the Silver age Spider-man issues stop.
2 2

48 posts in this topic

57 minutes ago, jason4 said:

There's a lot of debate on that. Some say Spider-Man 121... I lean more towards the change from 12 cents to 15 cents. But definitely somewhere in that 90 to 121 range 

121 was far into the Bronze age.

Maybe a transition with ASM 96, the first relevance / drug issue, May 71, although about a year after Green Lantern 76, April 70, but fitting in well with Green Lantern 85, August 71.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Maybe a transition with ASM 96, the first relevance / drug issue, May 71, although about a year after Green Lantern 76, April 70, but fitting in well with Green Lantern 85, August 71.

(thumbsu I'm not sure if there was a build-up in the preceding issues, but these non-code issues have to be a hard line beginning of Bronze for ASM if it doesn't happen earlier. Nothing silvery about them. 

Frustratingly no clear answer to this. If you want to go strictly by time span then it's ASM 80, Jan '70. If you want to go by a reflection of contemporary social change then it's ASM 96, April '71. 

In my view it's ASM 80. A time span is best way to determine this otherwise everyone will have a different answer

Edit: ASM 96 = May '71

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Issue 102.  I think 12 cent and 15 cent books are Silver.  To me, the one month Marvel 25 cent books are the beginning of the BA.

Although I'd still go with my pick of groundbreaking, mainstream, social relevance as the start point, DC 52 pagers and Marvel 25 cent books are good markers for the transition, with the Marvels also signifying the beginning of the company's picture frame cover era.

Issue 102 features Morbius, a character which Marvel wouldn't have published until the CCA rules were relaxed, or followed less stringently, at the beginning of the Bronze Age.

ASM 121 is much too late on.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

With the mention of Amazing Spider-man 80 as the end of the Sixties that would kind of a way bring the saga full circle with the appearance of the Chameleon as he appeared in issue number 1, that's an interesting note to leave with.

Since people start the SA with an “event” comic (Showcase #4) that helped shift the future in comics I start the BA with Green Lantern/Arrow #76 released in February 1970. That series helped influence the  tone of what was to come in the BA. Kirby leaving Marvel, Conan, drug issues, etc. all came shortly after this issue so...

Spider-Man #83 would be the last SA for me.

Everyone has their own definition, and that isn't likely to change. I personally think it's because we are using different rules for "bronze" than we are for "gold" and "silver".

I've let it go. Just collect what you want, go with 1970s=bronze and don't make yourself crazy.

16 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I'm in at the 98-100 as the  beginning of the bronze age. Definitely at 100 when the picture frame books started.

102 was the first picture frame Spidey Oak

8 hours ago, shadroch said:

Issue 102.  I think 12 cent and 15 cent books are Silver.  To me, the one month Marvel 25 cent books are the beginning of the BA.

I agree. As well as the price element, I've always thought 101 felt silvery, 102 bronzey.

So it's 101 for me as the last silver age Spidey, based on 102's pricing, picture framing, and general bronzey feeling

Well I grew up first  in the Bronze Age and everyone buying comics then thought it was the Silver Age. :nyah:

Really though I can appreciate those who don’t like or use the different Age terms but I really do wish someone (Overstreet) would have forced the issue as to when each age began/ends. It would have made life easier for those of us who use the terms.

There was a time when Showcase #4 was in debate as the first SA Comic with Detective comics #225 being the challenger. It got decided. Maybe to not everyone’s satisfaction but at least we got a starting point. The same thing should have continued as new Ages were added. I blame Overstreet for not being more aggressive in the past.

Edited by N e r V

9 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Well I grew up first  in the Bronze Age and everyone buying comics then thought it was the Silver Age. :nyah:

Really though I can appreciate those who don’t like or use the different Age terms but I really do wish someone (Overstreet) would have forced the issue as to when each age began/ends. It would have made life easier for those of us who use the terms.

There was a time when Showcase #4 was in debate as the first SA Comic with Detective comics #225 being the challenger. It got decided. Maybe to not everyone’s satisfaction but at least we got a starting point. The same thing should have continued as new Ages were added. I blame Overstreet for not being more aggressive in the past.

Not agreeing is part of the fun though N e r V, no?

Maybe now that CGC have supplanted Bob they can have a go at deciding. 

23 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Not agreeing is part of the fun though N e r V, no?

Maybe now that CGC have supplanted Bob they can have a go at deciding. 

Yes we can see how well that works in politics too... lol 

CGC still seems to use Overstreet as their source.