• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags for CGC books.
2 2

43 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

Because Mylar will not react chemically with the plastic in the slab.....okay that probably isn't true...I'd go with Lizards2 explanation....

Awesome! Haha

I've got a mix of mylars and the other poly-bags (not the ones that come with the slabs, which are awful). I like that: 1) mylars look clearer (similar to how mylar makes raws look "clearer" than poly-bags), especially if you have the new-style slabs that are already "clearer" than the older version, and 2) are waterproof so that if for some reason you get floods / water damage, more likelihood your slabs remain dry (given slabs aren't airtight).

Now #2 is pretty low-probability so not a big factor. Bottom line, I've currently got <100 slabs, so small dollar difference to get the Mylar. For people with 1000's of slabs, I can see it being a bigger consideration...

I always thought the mylar prices were silly at $1+ each until I saw how cleanly they present.  The usual bags I get are always wrinkled and cloudy looking.  Still, not sure I would buy a whole pack of cgc mylars anyway.  I'll take the free ones I get from the sellers.

Edited by 90sChild

16 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I always thought the mylar prices were silly at $1+ each until I saw how cleanly they present.  The usual bags I get are always wrinkled and cloudy looking.  Still, not sure I would buy a whole pack of cgc mylars anyway.  I'll take the free ones I get from the sellers.

I get slabs in that are in the heavy mylars, and they always seem to split.

7 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I get slabs in that are in the heavy mylars, and they always seem to split.

When your plastic failed, was it inside or outside of the box?

Not sure what you mean.  They usually split from handling, or removing packing tape, etc.

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
6 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Not sure what you mean.  They usually split from handling, or removing packing tape, etc.

Well, I've heard that sometimes on a break you end up with a surprise a couple months later.

Still don't get what you mean.

I have some display books in both mylar and poly and have considered both.  While I do think the mylars look more crisp, they also seem more prone to scuffing and have a lot more glare.  So overall I prefer poly and I get the re-sealable ones from bagsunlimited.  If I purchase a book that has a good condition mylar I'll usually keep it on, otherwise I switch to poly.