• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this place deader than ever?
11 11

2,618 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, DR.X said:
11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I rode the Night Train a few times in college...., sometimes the Mad Dog.

For Gods sake man. LOL. Night Train was actually drinkable I guess. Then we drank Schlitz Malt Liquor, Colt 45, Miller Malt Liquor ( short lived ),  Country Club Malt Liquor, Mickey's Big Mouths too.

I remember shotgunning the Schlitz Malt Liquor in high school (late 70s).  I don't think it was ever more than a 3.2 beer out here in the west. 

We used to get dock sales on the Colt 45 16 oz cans at the distributor in college - you had to buy three 24 can cases - they were $5 a case on dock sale.  My wife tells a story of me disturbing our rabbit, Norton, one night while puking up Colt 45. 

I drank a lot of Mickey's Big Mouths about 10 years ago.

Now I pretty much stick to Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, 10 Barrel IPA, Rogue IPA, Tecate (in cans - lawnmowing beer and hunting lunch beer), and Old Chub Scotch Ale (when I can get it, which is rare). 

I would drink a lot more scotch ale if it was available locally.  Even when we travel you hardly ever find any.  The big grocery stores will  have a whole aisle of IPA, and whole aisle of American swill beer.  But no scotch ale.

2 hours ago, DR.X said:

For Gods sake man. LOL. Night Train was actually drinkable I guess. Then we drank Schlitz Malt Liquor, Colt 45, Miller Malt Liquor ( short lived ),  Country Club Malt Liquor, Mickey's Big Mouths too.

I was all about the King Cobra 40oz in college until one night I drank 3 of them and they co-opted my insides. I was giving it back from my mouth, ears, nose, and...y'know. At one point my feet were sweating. It was literally a poison and my body was giving back. 

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Now I pretty much stick to Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, 10 Barrel IPA, Rogue IPA, Tecate (in cans - lawnmowing beer and hunting lunch beer), and Old Chub Scotch Ale (when I can get it, which is rare). 

A solid lineup  

6 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:
15 hours ago, Senormac said:

5aa49a70a6f04_hansandfritzeffincopy.jpg.c5eed503b4d597931cba354ec2e88c9a.jpg

Yup. It shows how times have changed.  There's no need for bad language in a childrens' comic book.

I'm assuming that 'efen' is an American, regional variant. 

My translation is.....   

"Saved ! " 

"Couldn't you even take a joke ? " 

"And let that be a lesson!  Next time its positively - SOUP ! "  

Yup. It shows how times have changed.  There's no need for bad language in a childrens' comic book.

As others have said, that's "even." 

"Effing" or "Effin'" didn't become a colloquialism until the 70's or 80's. Before then, the culture had no need for such slang, because the expression wouldn't have been used in mixed company, and when it was used, they simply used the "real word."

I suspect "Effin" came about because of the need to get past censors on TV, so they could be "edgy" without violating FCC regulations. The phrase "Efiin' A, man!" was popular about 20-30 ears ago.

But it's interesting that you saw it that way.

11 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

As others have said, that's "even." 

"Effing" or "Effin'" didn't become a colloquialism until the 70's or 80's. Before then, the culture had no need for such slang, because the expression wouldn't have been used in mixed company, and when it was used, they simply used the "real word."

I suspect "Effin" came about because of the need to get past censors on TV, so they could be "edgy" without violating FCC regulations. The phrase "Efiin' A, man!" was popular about 20-30 ears ago.

But it's interesting that you saw it that way.

I used "effin" in a service I preached not too long ago lol  

The audience took it in stride.  Laughed even.  

I think I used "c-r-a-p " in that message  too  (shrug)

They had me back a second time :grin:

Edited by Senormac