• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM: Superman 172
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This is a nice looking book.  However - on the ride edge near the bottom the paper bows out slightly - it looks like a tiny little bump.  The paper is flat,  this is some sort of mis-cut from printing.   Every page has this little extension.  But my biggest question is about the sun shadow on the front and back covers.  What does this do to the grade? Any thoughts as to how this book would grade without any cleaning?  Could cleaning even remove the sun shadow?  Thank you in advance!!

SUP172FC.jpg

SUP172BC.jpg

SUP172FCCorner.jpg

SUP172BCEdge.jpg

SUP172BCCorner.jpg

7 hours ago, ROBTOTHEC said:

I'm not real adept with grading these darn dust shadows.  I want to say 7.5 but it definitely appears like a higher grade than that, IMHO.

I agree, the shadows are tough to grade.  I'm hoping get some other opinions and maybe get a consensus.  Thanks for your feedback!

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, jdraheim said:

I agree, the shadows are tough to grade.  I'm hoping get some other opinions and maybe get a consensus.  Thanks for your feedback!

The shadows are actually easy to assess into the grade, they are a major tell for the overall grade! Here's why. Shadows, especially from Silver age to present, are treated consistently enough by the CGC that you can view the entire grade scale as compressed, from the top down. The general rule for grading books with shadows is to view the scale with grades of 9.2 and up removed from consideration. Think of the top end of that shadow scale being 9.0. An unflawed book with light shadow(s). Descending past otherwise 7.0 (except for the shadow) will have a gradually lessening effect upon the overall grade.