• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My gripe for the day: Sellers who package TOO securely.
3 3

93 posts in this topic

IMO, the biggest factor for shipping safely is to use a large enough box. You need plenty of room on the inside for lots of bubble wrap, newspaper, peanuts, etc. to completely surround the contents. The second factor is to prevent the internal movement of the contents. Instead of a taped cardboard sandwich arrangement,  I like to put the contents into a bubble wrap envelope with cardboard, sandwiched but not taped. You can fold over the flap of the envelope to fit snug against the the top of the contents.  Comiclink ships like this and doesn't even use cardboard inside the envelope. It seems to be very safe and easy to remove content. 

On 2/15/2018 at 7:26 PM, Ottobord said:

I had an ebay first after 15 years, a buyer recently requested that I NOT leave positive (of course) feedback for him.   Strange times.

Probably because he didn't want someone who he owes money to see that he's buying stuff.

Well, I almost always overpackage.  I don’t think it’s too much, but maybe some buyers feel differently??

Lots of tape around the outer box keeps it from ripping and provide a decent level of protection against rain, liquid spills and being dropped in puddles.  My $0.02

Jason

Edited by jhutton2

38 minutes ago, jhutton2 said:

Well, I almost always overpackage.  I don’t think it’s too much, but maybe some buyers feel differently??

Lits of tape around the outer box keeps it from ripping and provide a decent level of protection against rain, liquid spills and being dropped in puddles.  My $0.02

Jason

I agree, use as much tape as you want on the outer box. However, I think the topic here is too much tape on the inside contents, especially on the book itself.

I'm lazy and don't want to read 4 1/2 pages, but if I got something with too much tape, which I think I have in the past, but it's a rare occurance, I trust my razor. Someone mentioned creating spine dings. I think I may have done that trying to pull off a bagged comic once or twice, so I'd rather sacrifice the bag/board the comic is in and not risk damaging my book. Just carefully cut the comic book out of its tomb of tape along the edges. Don't worry that the comic bag has tons of strips of tape, and just remove it and put it in a new bag. I'm assuming we're talking about raw books and not graded ones.

12 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

No such thing as packing TOO securely that a good knife and scissors can't take care of.....

Agreed 100%. After receiving COUNTLESS shipments over the years with damaged comics because the shipper literally was clueless when it came to shipping comics, and especially prints, in the mail....well, I have absolutely NO problem with bombproof packaging that requires that I cut, pull, & slice and dice my way to the goods. As long as they arrive in the condition I expect, I am 100% content. 

Edited by OrangeCrush