• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My gripe for the day: Sellers who package TOO securely.
3 3

93 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

The trick is to never tape the comic bag that is directly protecting the comics. You put the comics in their bags and then put the one book, or more (however many you have)  in ANOTHER bag. THEN  you can tape. I use magazine bags, or treasury bags, but even a supermarket bag will do.

Drives me crazy when I have to peel tape off a comic book bag. It's also very bad for my manicure;);)

I wrap the bag and board in a layer of saran wrap, so the tape touches that instead and it barely adds any weight.

2 minutes ago, speedcake said:

I just started putting a few books up for sale on ebay again and pretty sure I spend way too long fussing over packing them for shipment. Maybe I care too much...

No way.  I will never complain, even about the OCD securest of packing.  I found an unbelievable copy of Hero for Hire #1 recently at an unbelievable price.  Like, this would have gone in that "Best Score" thread for sure.  I was so stunned by its beauty.  I even messaged the seller at checkout and asked him to PLEASE ship it securely.  It arrived in an envelope sandwiched between cardboard, which is good...but the comic was not affixed to the cardboard, which is bad.  It must have been sliding around all the way across the U.S.   The edge of the bag and board were sticking out past the cardboard when I unpackaged it.  And sure enough, the upper-right corner was SMASHED.  It lost probably 5 grade points because it wasn't packed securely and I had to return it.  It would have been one of life's great purchases, but now I'm living with the knowledge that there was a pristine raw copy of Hero for Hire #1 out there that no longer exists.

Just saying, please don't ever feel weird about layers of security.  Even if it takes 10 minutes to unpack it, it's worth it to get what I ordered.

The point to remember is that on its way from point A to point B, your valuable commodity is handled by numerous individuals who don't give a rodent's posterior about it. It's thrown, bent, stacked upon and driven over. I once sent a couple of nice mid-to-high grade Barks Duck 4-colors to a boardie in Norway or Finland (I know -- it sounds like a cliche). To package it, I hollowed out a piece of 1/2 inch gator board to make a two inch frame all the way around it and put 6mm pvc on top and bottom so that any stress it took would distribute onto the gator board. I taped it up water tight, and put it in a slightly larger box with bubble wrap around it. I could have survived any abuse short of being shot. The happy recipient told me it was the best packaged comic he'd ever received. The materials I used were scraps you can get from a sign shop, so they didn't cost me anything.

1 hour ago, classicaaron said:

I don't see this as being a problem at all. ive had some that were so taped up I just ended up cutting them out of the bag and board with an exacto knife and the book came out much easier than trying to remove tape and risk bending the book.  heck if I cant afford the new bag and board to put it into I shouldn't be buying the book in the first place.

nothing worse than having a crappy packaging job with a floppy book sliding all over the place.

I pretty much do this too.  Once there is tape on the bag, it usually ruins it anyway - especially any kind of mylar.

I'm a big fan of whatever tape actually works.  Word to the wise folks, any kind of scotch tape or regular masking tape are not strong enough to withstand the rigors of shipping - the books almost always burst out of any kind of sandwich utilizing scotch tape or regular masking tape, and I'm including when you tape the comic to the board, not just the sandwich.

Another word to the wise - quit shipping books in open top mylar snugs - the books always fly out of the end.  If you are shipping in mylar snugs, put the book in another bag/board, so that it is the extra bag that makes contact with the tape, not the book.  Also, don't ship books in the cheap mylites - they split at the welds in the rigors of shipping.  Mylite2s do fine.

Edited by lizards2
more

48 minutes ago, larryfk said:
10 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

The trick is to never tape the comic bag that is directly protecting the comics. You put the comics in their bags and then put the one book, or more (however many you have)  in ANOTHER bag. THEN  you can tape. I use magazine bags, or treasury bags, but even a supermarket bag will do.

Drives me crazy when I have to peel tape off a comic book bag. It's also very bad for my manicure;);)

I wrap the bag and board in a layer of saran wrap, so the tape touches that instead and it barely adds any weight.

I put books in another plastic bag, then wrap a layer newspaper around it.  Then I tape that to the sandwich, so when tape is removed, it just rips the newspaper.

Another pretty good method I've found is using those tiny boxes that jscomics uses.  Put the books in that extra bag, then in that tiny box with padding if necessary, then put that in a priority box with bubble wrap all around.  Really easy to both pack and to take apart.

25 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I put books in another plastic bag, then wrap a layer newspaper around it.  Then I tape that to the sandwich, so when tape is removed, it just rips the newspaper.

Another pretty good method I've found is using those tiny boxes that jscomics uses.  Put the books in that extra bag, then in that tiny box with padding if necessary, then put that in a priority box with bubble wrap all around.  Really easy to both pack and to take apart.

Unless you search the planet for refrigerator boxes that you cut down yourself and THEN do the newspaper thingy...you don't quite get up to the level of @DR.X but you sound like a good close 2nd;) :foryou:

There are a number of sites like CGC that ship large amounts of books that give pretty clear packing instructions. 

Although most of us see the opposite problem (poor, unsafe packing) I do agree with the original post that you can “overpack” something. I’ve seen it in a number of areas not limited to comics but with comics and related items it can be problematic when you introduce tape or other sticky surfaces. 

I’ve actually had tape damage to books that was done before I even opened the package due to a comic moving inside. I’ve had a few CGC books shipped to me with damaged cases that weren’t before because the seller wrapped them to tight putting enough pressure on them to crack or break and then can not understand slabs are not unbreakable when you introduce stress from packing and add hard movement in transit. They just need to be secure from movement not put in chains & shackles for escape.

When you pack something that you take the time to secure and protect because it is a delicate item you should also look in reverse and imagine the unpacking process. Keep it snug & secure but also fairly easy to unpack. It’s not rocket science.

I never have issues with CGC, Comic Link, Metro, Bedrock, etc. packages it’s usually the eBay or indie types who aren’t in a regular business per se and boast about bullet or bomb proof packing.

Everyone should ask themselves why would I make this a difficult process? Just pack it like the big boys guys and everything should be fine. Don’t over think it...

Edited by N e r V

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:
2 hours ago, classicaaron said:

I don't see this as being a problem at all. ive had some that were so taped up I just ended up cutting them out of the bag and board with an exacto knife and the book came out much easier than trying to remove tape and risk bending the book.  heck if I cant afford the new bag and board to put it into I shouldn't be buying the book in the first place.

nothing worse than having a crappy packaging job with a floppy book sliding all over the place.

I pretty much do this too.  Once there is tape on the bag, it usually ruins it anyway - especially any kind of mylar.

I'm a big fan of whatever tape actually works.  Word to the wise folks, any kind of scotch tape or regular masking tape are not strong enough to withstand the rigors of shipping - the books almost always burst out of any kind of sandwich utilizing scotch tape or regular masking tape, and I'm including when you tape the comic to the board, not just the sandwich.

Another word to the wise - quit shipping books in open top mylar snugs - the books always fly out of the end.  If you are shipping in mylar snugs, put the book in another bag/board, so that it is the extra bag that makes contact with the tape, not the book.  Also, don't ship books in the cheap mylites - they split at the welds in the rigors of shipping.  Mylite2s do fine.

I just got a book in today where the book was secured to the cardboard sandwich with scotch tape, and cardboard sandwich was sealed with scotch tape.  Both the book and the sandwich separated - the tape broke in all locations.

2 hours ago, Michelangelo said:

i'd rather buy from a seller who over-protects vs. under-protects.

when shipping books, I think to myself - what level/amount of packing would make me happiest if this were the book i was receiving. 

Then - I pack to that standard

I think the thing people are forgetting is that this isn't an either/or situation.  Your options aren't only "over-protected" or "under-protected".  There is a middle-ground of "well-protected" that will survive regular shipping rigors and isn't cumbersome or risky to un-pack. 

16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

THIS!

The worst is when you buy a slab and they ruin the protective bag by applying packing tape directly to the bag!!! I always request that the seller refrain from doing this when I buy. Most are more than accommodating. 

10 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I bought from that guy! It looked so hare-brained, I followed the instructions just to see. It did work well and made me laugh. I think each piece of tape was folded over slightly create a pull tab.

I also bought from him!! Lovely pack job.