• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jon Berk Article : Hotchkiss 12/1/2017
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I still remember the days being in front of my laptop; looking over my Comic Connect watch list in that auction.  It was the first time I had ever even bid on books through an auction house but knew I could not miss out on this potentially once in a lifetime experience.  I lost many; I won ones that I very much adore.  :x

At least one of the Mystery Mens from that auction is in the current Heritage auction, and I've seen other Berk books up for auction already. 

Considering how strong the prices in the Berk auction were, it amazes me that people think there's still enough additional upside (particularly after Heritage's cut) that it's worth it to try to flip the books.  

3 minutes ago, tth2 said:

At least one of the Mystery Mens from that auction is in the current Heritage auction, and I've seen other Berk books up for auction already. 

Considering how strong the prices in the Berk auction were, it amazes me that people think there's still enough additional upside (particularly after Heritage's cut) that it's worth it to try to flip the books.  

It is amazing.

I remember a lot of talk on the Boards that these books will disappear into collections for another 20 or so years during the auction. While i believe a lot of them have, there have been a notable number of flips between HA, CC themselves, C'Link, WWC, eBay and even these Boards since the auction last June. 

I'm sure some of them were maybe 'impulse' buys, and just a matter of being 'over' the purchase too though. 

Has anyone heard from Berk since he divested himself?  Is he happy with his decision?  What made him pull the trigger and get out?  I’m fascinated by that.  Every day in this hobby is a push pull, but I always figured I’d get out when it was time to pay for my daughter’s wedding.

9 hours ago, bounty_coder said:

Just in case anyone missed it; was cool to see this published...

https://www.hotchkiss.org/news/news-post-page/~post/holy-pancakes-batman-thats-some-comicbook-collection-20171201

- bounty

Although I google some keywords from time to time ... I missed it, thanks for posting.

I don't see anything coming in the future to rival that last year's event, not in the US, not in Europe.

9 hours ago, tth2 said:

MM 6 was for sale on Ritter's site and that book and others formerly on his site are now up for auction.  He probably got a good deal from Heritage for his consignment.  Ritter has offered quite a few Berk books.

2 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Has anyone heard from Berk since he divested himself?  Is he happy with his decision?  What made him pull the trigger and get out?  I’m fascinated by that.  Every day in this hobby is a push pull, but I always figured I’d get out when it was time to pay for my daughter’s wedding.

Jon's very happy with the results of the auction and content with letting the collection go last time I heard from him.  He has retained a small set of very sweet comics and select pages of original art.