• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-Star 8

38 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Oh I see what you’re saying. You mean if you have like a single page and want to know what comic it was from, assuming you don’t know. Hmm, maybe try simply googling some of the text on the page.

Yep exactly. Not that I have a page like that now, but to those who do what would be the easiest resource to find out. Would be such a task to compile such a feat.

3 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep exactly. Not that I have a page like that now, but to those who do what would be the easiest resource to find out. Would be such a task to compile such a feat.

There’s also a group with like 250K members on Facebook called Comic Book Collecting. The wealth of knowledge in that group is ridiculous! So if someone had an issue like this and posted the page(s) in question I wouldn’t be surprised if someone knew by sight alone.

Edited by LDarkseid1

Speaking of All-Star 8, there are currently eight copies on ebay (along with 8 copies of Wonder Woman 1). 

I'd love to own one, and I realize that folk are attempting to capitalize on the excellent Wonder Woman movie, but books just won't move when they're so overpriced (typical of ebay, I know!) regardless of how 'hot' they are.

16 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

Speaking of All-Star 8, there are currently eight copies on ebay (along with 8 copies of Wonder Woman 1). 

I'd love to own one, and I realize that folk are attempting to capitalize on the excellent Wonder Woman movie, but books just won't move when they're so overpriced (typical of ebay, I know!) regardless of how 'hot' they are.

Agreed Steve. This is how price correction occurs and prices are lowered in hopes of moving them. 

2 hours ago, sacentaur said:

There's actually 9 copies of WW1 just so you know. A coverless copy missing the 1st wrap and centerfold as well. :)

Edited by LDarkseid1

2 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There’s also a group with like 250K members on Facebook called Comic Book Collecting. The wealth of knowledge in that group is ridiculous! So if someone had an issue like this and posted the page(s) in question I wouldn’t be surprised if someone knew by sight alone.

That's good to know for anyone needing help in identifying unknown pages. Thanks for all the info.!

22 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Definitely no resto on this, but I guess I understand what you're saying.  Although, when it's slabbed you can't see the important pages, like the CF or the WonderWoman pages.  If I was buying this to get the CF I'd really want to see the CF and the WW pages.

I agree, I’d crack it out if I had it.  I hate non-cover first appearance books.  That’s why I chose Sensation & WW#1’s over AS8.  But if I needed pieces for a AS8 and mine was 100% unrestored I’d want the coverless or cf to be graded just for the restoration check.  

16 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There's actually 9 copies of WW1 just so you know. A coverless copy missing the 1st wrap and centerfold as well. :)

Yet not a single Sensation #1.  I wonder why it seems to be so much rarer than the other 2.

4 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

Yet not a single Sensation #1.  I wonder why it seems to be so much rarer than the other 2.

I mean yeah Sensation 1 is pretty rare but the reason it’s not readily available like the other two isn’t because of its rarity. People just tend to hold onto their copies for some reason. There’s certainly more than enough copies if people wanted to sell them to flood the market.

28 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I mean yeah Sensation 1 is pretty rare but the reason it’s not readily available like the other two isn’t because of its rarity. People just tend to hold onto their copies for some reason. There’s certainly more than enough copies if people wanted to sell them to flood the market.

Because it’s better than AS8 :-)

19 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There's almost double the amounts of All Star #8 and Wonder Woman #1 on the census so I have to believe Sensation #1 is rarer.  Since the movie speculation some new Sensations appeared, but nothing even close to the amount of All Star #8's and Wonder Woman #1.  Would just 91 Sensation #1's flood the market?  Any key below 100 seems very rare imo.

Census #s:

All Star #8 = 159 total

Wonder Woman #1 = 151 total

Sensation Comics #1 = 91 total.

2 hours ago, Knightsofold said:

There's almost double the amounts of All Star #8 and Wonder Woman #1 on the census so I have to believe Sensation #1 is rarer.  Since the movie speculation some new Sensations appeared, but nothing even close to the amount of All Star #8's and Wonder Woman #1.  Would just 91 Sensation #1's flood the market?  Any key below 100 seems very rare imo.

Census #s:

All Star #8 = 159 total

Wonder Woman #1 = 151 total

Sensation Comics #1 = 91 total.

I mean if even 9 of the 91 copies were publicly available like All Star 8 and Wonder Woman 1 are on EBay we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I’m not saying it isn’t rare to an extent and indeed is even rarer than the other two. But once again people are just holding onto their copies. Personally and imop I consider a book rare when there are only maybe 20 copies or less graded.

Edited by LDarkseid1

14 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I consider a book rare when there are only maybe 20 copies or less graded.

I agree on the 20 or less graded meaning rare, with big $$ keys and non demand books being the exception.  The big keys command so much cash the incentives for grading are very high. (Even if just for insurance purposes)   

I do understand some mega key raw owners have no intention of selling and doing so might be considered a risk and hassle, but using the key books (anything near and above 100k in highest grade) is the closest we'll ever get to an accurate base number to use in guessing total known copies in existence.  

Here are a few example of just how inaccurate the census non-keys are when compared.  

Detective #26 - total = 25

Detective #27 - total = 67

Detective #28 - total = 38

---

Showcase #3 - total = 43

Showcase #4 - total = 421

Showcase #5 - total = 37

---

All Star #7 - total =75

All Star #8 - total =159

All Star #9 - total =57

--