• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The high cost of FF # 48
4 4

246 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2018 at 1:38 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I like this list but I am still in search of #4.  I also think that #52 would be included in a top 6 list !

Agree.  Hard to deny the Black Panther at this point for #6.  

Interesting thing is I had two mid range copies for sale forever with not bites, finally sold one over the summer at around 15% off GPA.

With the news today I wished I had of kept the higher grade copy as the keeper!

Just a little up date on the prices, two CGC 9.2s just sold on Ebay for $4800 U.S and $4700 U.S. plus shipping. I paid the $4700 moments ago and couldn't be happier with the thought of adding this Key to my 9.2 collection. Many of you follow the prices closer than I do, however, the days of getting this book in high grade at a "low" price seem to be long gone. I wanted Silver Surfer's first appearance in 9.2 for years now and the more I waited the price kept getting higher and higher. I just couldn't stand back and watch any longer. Very happy! 

Edited by shane1956

Good for you on your purchase!  Yeah, I agree that the price can still go up especially when FF 52 are selling for crazy money right now, I don't see why FF 48 can't sell at the same level or higher!!  I'm glad I bought my copy years back, but wished I bought more back then lol.

Another update. This book has been on fire! A 9.2 is up to $6000 U.S on EBAY with 10 hours remaining! I thought I was a bit crazy when I paid $4700 back in late March. At this rate this will be a 10k book in 9.2 at some point in the next 2 years. Prices keep going higher and higher.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-48-cgc-9-2-1st-Silver-Surfer-Galactus-Stan-Lee-2-4-5-49-45-52/283070464971?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by shane1956

2 hours ago, shane1956 said:

Another update. This book has been on fire! A 9.2 is up to $6000 U.S on EBAY with 10 hours remaining! I thought I was a bit crazy when I paid $4700 back in late March. At this rate this will be a 10k book in 9.2 at some point in the next 2 years. Prices keep going higher and higher.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-48-cgc-9-2-1st-Silver-Surfer-Galactus-Stan-Lee-2-4-5-49-45-52/283070464971?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Wow, that is amazing.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:33 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The book seems to have doubled in just the last couple of months.  That does not seem sustainable to me.  Of course I could be wrong, but I feel comfortable waiting a little while longer because I am betting that the worst case (for a buyer like me) is that prices hold where they are.

Did I say I could be wrong?

Most likely it will keep going up now that Disney now owns the character. Really it is starting to look like most Marvel keys are turning out to be the best collectible to invest in.

I can't think of another hobby were the growth continues to have a bright future.

Maybe video games and sports card rookies can give comics a run for their money, but just about all the other old hobbies are on life support or dead.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, shane1956 said:

On fire! It is a key book and has an epic cover. I'm happy I got mine before the recent run up. 

I don't think a lot of old timers realize how big these Marvel characters have become. They are the new rock stars on social media. They are bigger now than Elvis, Beatles, Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin. 

Imagine that? The youth today think the Avengers are cooler than Led Zep and the Beatles.

The advantage these super heroes have is they never get old.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Imagine that? The youth today think the Avengers are cooler than Led Zep and the Beatles.

I didn't think today's youth even knows who Zeppelin and the Beatles are ? 

23 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I didn't think today's youth even knows who Zeppelin and the Beatles are ? 

They know because they buy the T-shirts for $20 in a local clothing store. lol

To be fair, a lot of kids know a song if you play it because they are exposed to much more music than we were as kids but they may not know the details if you quiz them on the bands.

One night my friend told everyone we met that I was Robert Plant. They would Google him, nod and agree that I was him. :/