• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Karloff, Dell, TV horror and more.....
4 4

5,021 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2018 at 5:00 AM, Gnasher said:

Here's his original art for the Twilight Zone series in Gold Key....

dc092f42c75fb0f924f38b1df08e9ab7.jpg     Comic book cover under GOLD KEY.

This is a superbly done cover 

I am going to be on the lookout for one of these⁉️‼️‼️‼️

It is worthy of framing 👍‼️👍

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

This is a superbly done cover 

I am going to be on the lookout for one of these⁉️‼️‼️‼️

It is worthy of framing 👍‼️👍

Yeah, it's pretty bold, I'm impressed with George Wilson's covers. Apparently, this is a self portrait on Twilight Zone #31.

Twilight-Zone-1962-series-31-in-Fine-condition-Gold-Key-comics    Image result for George Wilson twilight zone 31 self portrait

Quoted from an article I recently discovered in the Guardian and subsequently read about the legendary Peter Lorre (this after my again seeing The Beast with Five Fingers - inspiration for WPIX Chiller Theater?):

At the 1956 funeral of Bela Lugosi (with whom Peter Lorre had appeared along with Karloff in a 1940 haunted-house horror movie called You'll Find Out), Peter Lorre turned to Vincent Price and whispered: "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart, just in case?"

Love to know what Karloff said in response to this? 😂 

3 hours ago, bronze johnny said:

Quoted from an article I recently discovered in the Guardian and subsequently read about the legendary Peter Lorre (this after my again seeing The Beast with Five Fingers - inspiration for WPIX Chiller Theater?):

At the 1956 funeral of Bela Lugosi (with whom Peter Lorre had appeared along with Karloff in a 1940 haunted-house horror movie called You'll Find Out), Peter Lorre turned to Vincent Price and whispered: "Do you think we should drive a stake through his heart, just in case?"

Love to know what Karloff said in response to this? 😂 

Lorre performance in Fritz Lang's M where he plays the child murderer is one of my favourites ever on screen. He was a favourite of Hitchcock's too.(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Lorre performance in Fritz Lang's M where he plays the child murderer is one of my favourites ever on screen. He was a favourite of Hitchcock's too.(thumbsu

M was also Lang's first talkie. Lorre was an incredible actor.

1 minute ago, bronze johnny said:

M was also Lang's first talkie. Lorre was an incredible actor.

Apparently Lang was incredibly cruel to Lorre, deliberately having several takes of him being thrown down stairs in the trial scene, to elicit the anger and frustration of the character. I think it was common practice then of the old school, silent directors to get a performance, much in the same way that Hitchcock did with Tippi Hedren in The Birds.

3 hours ago, Gnasher said:

Apparently Lang was incredibly cruel to Lorre, deliberately having several takes of him being thrown down stairs in the trial scene, to elicit the anger and frustration of the character. I think it was common practice then of the old school, silent directors to get a performance, much in the same way that Hitchcock did with Tippi Hedren in The Birds.

Not my copy but love this cover with Lorre, Rathbone, and Price by the great Gogos. Classic cover imho:

IMG_4034.PNG.2b0a29cb507eae274a936418ef93fe3c.PNG