• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So Marvel is renumbering books AGAIN and abandoning the Legacy numbers for some books
1 1

118 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

But, but, she has a cartoon coming!

Can't wait for that cartoon that 9 kids will watch & will draw exactly zero new people into buying a comic!

2 minutes ago, Doktor said:

Can't wait for that cartoon that 9 kids will watch & will draw exactly zero new people into buying a comic!

I actually think it could be popular. But, from what we've seen and heard from store owners, movies, TV, etc....aren't bringing a lot of new people into the shops.

Just now, ygogolak said:

I actually think it could be popular. But, from what we've seen and heard from store owners, movies, TV, etc....aren't bringing a lot of new people into the shops.

That phantom "new audience from [insert other media format]" has been the same story that's been bandied about by publishers since... oh... the 1st X-Men movie? The last time I think any cartoon/movie/tv show brought in new readers was MAYBE the X-Men cartoon in the early 90's. But even that was probably very minimal. These "new customers" apparently have never once gotten the memo about them continuing caring about the character(s) by reading a comic.  

26 minutes ago, Doktor said:

That phantom "new audience from [insert other media format]" has been the same story that's been bandied about by publishers since... oh... the 1st X-Men movie? The last time I think any cartoon/movie/tv show brought in new readers was MAYBE the X-Men cartoon in the early 90's. But even that was probably very minimal. These "new customers" apparently have never once gotten the memo about them continuing caring about the character(s) by reading a comic.  

I will say that I think Black Panther brought some new people in. At least to collecting, maybe it's just short term. I've had some pretty obvious questions asked on some of my BP stuff. "Is this the first issue?" (it was a #1 variant of a mini-series) "What grade would you say this is" (when it's stated in the title and description)

Edited by ygogolak

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

I will say that I think Black Panther brought some new people in. At least to collecting, maybe it's just short term. I've had some pretty obvious questions asked on some of my BP stuff. "Is this the first issue?" "What grade would you say this is" (when it's stated in the title and description)

I was at Half Price Books this past weekend, and I was looking at the comics section when a couple came up talking among themselves.... they said lets look for anything with Black Panther :) They wanted it for collecting reasons I'm sure, but another person talked to them and they said that the movie was spectacular! They had seen it several times and would again.

23 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I will say that I think Black Panther brought some new people in. At least to collecting, maybe it's just short term. I've had some pretty obvious questions asked on some of my BP stuff. "Is this the first issue?" (it was a #1 variant of a mini-series) "What grade would you say this is" (when it's stated in the title and description)

Every new movie/show had the chance to bring in new readers, but it's always been a question of "do any of them stick?" and thus far, the answer has been "almost none"

Of course, that doesn't mean this won't be the time that that changes.

Edited by Doktor

37 minutes ago, Doktor said:

Every new movie/show had the chance to bring in new readers, but it's always been a question of "do any of them stick?" and thus far, the answer has been "almost none"

Of course, that doesn't mean this won't be the time that that changes.

It's like how The NHL thought for many years "The Olympics will attract new viewers to our regular season games" but they never did

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

So when they do come in, it'd be nice to have a quality product to keep them coming back.   Not sure if Marvel gets that.:cry:

9 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Oh brudder.....Iron Man #1 (with some artwork I can do without).

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/05/tony-stark-iron-man-slott-schiti-delgado/

If Captain America goes back to #1, I officially will give up trying to file Marvel in any order. 

"...with full continuity"

So the reason to restart was....

:gossip: admitted money grab

17 hours ago, ygogolak said:
21 hours ago, 500Club said:

So when they do come in, it'd be nice to have a quality product to keep them coming back.   Not sure if Marvel gets that.:cry:

Have you ever read Moon Girl or Ms. Marvel? 

No.  Are they good?

I was talking in more a line-wide sense.   Most of Marvel's properties bear little resemblance to their counterparts in other media, and it'd be pretty damn tough to try to explain to an Avengers fan how to get into reading the Avengers comics.

I hate Marvel's constant re-numbering to boost sales, but I gotta say, I'm a little excited by some of the new offerings and creative moves.

I'm interested to see Jeff Lemire writing The Sentry after what he did with the Thanos run.

Also interested in seeing how Ta-Nehisi Coates handles Cap.

Al Ewing is probably one of Marvel's best writers at the moment so despite not exactly liking the premise of the new Hulk, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Cosmic Ghost Rider has been a hit so I'll probably get his miniseries.

Jason Aaron's Thor run has been great and I see no reason why the new series will be any different.

And then of course Avengers, just because I like Ed McGuinness' slightly cartoony style.

32 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I hate Marvel's constant re-numbering to boost sales, but I gotta say, I'm a little excited by some of the new offerings and creative moves.

I'm interested to see Jeff Lemire writing The Sentry after what he did with the Thanos run.

Al Ewing is probably one of Marvel's best writers at the moment so despite not exactly liking the premise of the new Hulk, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Jason Aaron's Thor run has been great and I see no reason why the new series will be any different.

And then of course Avengers, just because I like Ed McGuinness' slightly cartoony style.

Thanks, I was wondering who was going to admit still buying after their 4th reboot in three years.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-guide-to-marvel-comics-four-relaunches-yes-fou-1823281867

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Thanks, I was wondering who was going to admit still buying after their 4th reboot in three years.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-brief-guide-to-marvel-comics-four-relaunches-yes-fou-1823281867

Cebulski and Quesada missed their true calling.  They belong on the Home Shopping Network pawning their wares. 

8 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Cebulski and Quesada missed their true calling.  They belong on the Home Shopping Network pawning their wares. 

I don't think it's as much Cebulski's fault as it is Quesada and Brevoort.  You can't blame Cebulski for coming in and wanting to do things fresh his way.

4 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

"In fact, some titles will feature two separate numberings, continuing the Legacy number and a new relaunched number for good measure. Which is... not confusing at all."

train.jpg

Just an excuse for them to space out milestones every 12-13 months so they can celebrate "Milestone 25th issue" and then follow it up with "500th issue anniversary spectacular!"  All while simultaneously charging us $8.99 for these giant sized issues that have maybe 30 pages of story and then 20 pages of a back up story we don't care about.  Or worst, a flashback/origin re-telling that we've seen/heard/read a dozen times before.

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Jeff Lemire writing The Sentry, count me in for that. If it's even half as good as his Moon Knight and Thanos runs, it'll be worth the $4 or $5 every issue

9 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

"In fact, some titles will feature two separate numberings, continuing the Legacy number and a new relaunched number for good measure. Which is... not confusing at all."

train.jpg

Not the first time they have done this.

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_2_30.jpg

Edited by ygogolak