• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Overlooked" Golden Age Timely Series? (Pre-1946)

9 posts in this topic

I've recently become more enamored of the Golden Age Timely "look". I mean WWII era books (and pre-WWII).

Only problem is, most of the prices are through the roof ;-) ... at least for all the "obvious" series, Captain America, USA, Human Torch, Marvel Mystery, etc.

I'm wondering if folks have any suggestions for a "budget" GA Timely collector in terms of other titles/series... such as Miss Fury ... which have cool art, and that Timely "feel", but which are more affordable.

There are not many of what you would call "budget" timely titles but if you want classic hero type books I would suggest the Mystic series 2, short run and relatively affordable, All Select gets pricey but way cheaper than any of the other classic hero runs I can think of, Blonde Phantom is a great series but also getting pretty pricey. Hope that helps as a thought starter.

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

Nedors (Excitings, Fighting Yank) have always been a cheaper Timely alternative. The Schomburg covers make them feel that way anyway.

I thought of that too but the best ones have almost gone the way of Timelys price wise. Years ago, I was made aware of them and wisely sought them out. I'm pretty complete on the ones I really want now but am still behind the 8 ball on the Timelys and probably always will be...:sorry:

You can get cheaper Timelys if you stick to low grade non war covers from 1941 and up.

Even cheaper if they’ve not Schomburg covers.  Examples are:

USA comics 15-17

All winners  5, 16-18

daring comics 12

mystic comics vol.2  3,4

Sub mariner 18-42

Captain America 11,12,17,19,21,30, 42-45, 48-73, 76-78

Human Torch 21,22, 24-38

Amazing comics 1,2

Young Allies 2, 5-20

All Select 8,10

Marvel Mystery Comics 65, 67-81, 83, 85-92