• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have you ever found anything good at an antique store?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

I found out about an antique store that had a lot of comics so I got excited. It was a semi long drive but I came with 500 in cash ready to get some gems. What I found was a joke! They had a lot of comics alright, a lot of 70's and 80' garbarge. And the owner had the nerve to have dollar books locked in a glass case. She had Dazzler #1 in vg condition locked in the case. This was WTF moment. So I asked the owner if she had any comics from the 30's, 40's,50's and she walked me right back to the glass cases and told me how old these books are. I was like ma'am you can tell how old they are by the cover price. I told her that 25 cents and 30 cents is not old enough. So she quickly pointed to a 12 cent Showcase comic in the glass case. So I told her I am basically looking for 10 cent comics which she had none. She said, wow! I learn something everyday. She had hundreds of comics. Alll she had to do is buy an Overstreet. That was such a waste of gas to go over there.

So I want to know have you guys ever found anything good at these hole in the wall antique shops? Should I keep searching in places like this?

If you didn't go and missed something great that would be the sad thing.The problem with those trips more often you don't find anything good,but that one time makes it all worth it.I came across a Fantastic Four 2 in very fine condition

for ten cents not to many years back sold it like a fool.That is the stuff we all have to live with,that should have could have part of our addiction :smile:

Antique stores, or malls, are usually pretty dead now. Ebay killed them as well as flea markets to a lessor degree. Out here, they are mostly filled with "shabby chic", dishes, cartoon glasses, modern toys and "limited edition collectibles". When you do run into comics they are usually a well thumbed pile of moderns.

As you probably know, I "do" lots more than just comics though. I have gotton lucky many times but it is few and far between these days.

As luck would have it, I did pick this up a few days ago on my lunch hour at a small shop near work for $2. The only comic book she had. So, it is still possible...

comjannjungle10.jpg

Same day,we hit another co-op store. It was primarily full of old lamps, furnature, and general antiques. Pretty boring, I was ready to go back to the car to check out my new prize when I spotted a large table piled high with books, magazines and such. Right away I spotted a couple dead mint big little books. Donald Duck and Buck Rogers. I asked the seller how much they were. "$10. each from a house clean out the other day" he replied. There was a lot of stuff but I started sifting and digging. The only other piece that I was interested in was a beautiful 1942 Capt. Midnight Decoder Manual. Halfway through the last pile I pulled out this: (Now we're getting somewhere)

comcaptmidnight10.JPG

Antique Malls have been good to me over the years, you see a lot of overpriced drek, but every so often there's a find that makes it worth the time. There's a shop I stop at in Kansas once a year that has all the comics in a box at the back for either $5 or $10. There are the usual gold key bugs bunnies for $10, but every time I dig through there are a few surprises. These two came out of that box, not high grade, but well worth $10.5a944a730d0c0_BlackTerror4_zpsbbpagftu.jpg.ad436e36b828a901083a3faad993d004.jpg5a944a7694caf_Amazing-Man15_zpsfdtzdchr.jpg.885fde28e7eddd463c4344e45124db89.jpg

I have purchased a lot of items from antique stores but only a few that were worth keeping.  Most of the time the comics are overpriced.  If they were a bargain, they would be gone.  I paid less than guide for this Sensation 3.

2232226236_3663579f7a_z.jpg

I purchased a Human Torch 3 and Action 28 from a guy in an antique mall but sold them.  He sold me Marvel Mystery 26 when I visited him in Baltimore.  I still have that one.

2078212643_bb5771c2d6_z.jpg

I purchased a copy of Marvel Mystery 21 from Ernest Toth when I visited his house.  You couldn't walk around inside of his home because it was filled with stacks of books, magazines and comics.  He also had 3 garages full.

2231433211_af81d084aa_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

None of the books that I mentioned were cheap but usually 50% off guide if fairly graded.

I also picked up a Centaur Western when searching antique stores in San Francisco.  I was there for fun and it was an adventure searching around Frisco but parking on a hill was scary.

4298280352_6b1e5dc4e8_z.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun