• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So what issue is the real 1st app of Red Goblin?
2 2

378 posts in this topic

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:55 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:48 AM, williamblood said:

9.8 ross virgins are selling for 600+ if red goblin is continued to be used then dealer might be right

The one has nothing to do with the other. How much is ASM #667 worth? Now how much is the ASM #667 1:100 worth?

This was the comment that teed off the debate - the idea that because Ross virgin covers are selling for $600+ now, we could infer anything as to whether the dealer could be right.

3 minutes ago, kairos70 said:

There is a second printing forthcoming.

ASM 798 2nd print image.jpg

It doesn't surprise me that there would be, even if the first print isn't a sellout. Because people will buy it, because it's another variant. And buy it in large numbers, probably, because of the value of the first Anti-Venom second print. It *may* help sales of the first print as well, if the existence of a second print leads people to believe that the first print is selling out *somewhere*, and therefore grabbing available copies is a good idea.

11 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

It doesn't surprise me that there would be, even if the first print isn't a sellout. Because people will buy it, because it's another variant. And buy it in large numbers, probably, because of the value of the first Anti-Venom second print. It *may* help sales of the first print as well, if the existence of a second print leads people to believe that the first print is selling out *somewhere*, and therefore grabbing available copies is a good idea.

LCS in my area still have the 798 regular cover on the shelves for cover price with no limit restrictions. With that being said the shops here won't order many or any of the second printing unless they get requests from subscribers. They will sell out if they do. 2nd and 3rd printings of 794 and 2nd printings of 795 & 796 sold out quickly here due to interest in the variant covers and the Osborn/Carnage symbiote bonding content.

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I saw a lot of Ross virgin at C2E2

one comic shop had a short box of them

If print run is 250k then there will be more of these ross virgins out in the wild  than the retailer virgins with only 1k distributions. 

5 hours ago, kairos70 said:

There is a second printing forthcoming.

ASM 798 2nd print image.jpg

Ok. Now, the question is: when was this announced? This is an important question to answer. Was it announced BEFORE the first printing was even on sale? If so, it wasn't made because of demand. It wasn't made because there was a nationwide sellout. "Before the fact" second printings aren't really reprints...they're variants, marketed as variants, and sold as variants...just called "second printings." When there's a third and fourth print because the originals actually sold out....like with ASM #794...then we can transition to "based on actual demand" argument.

As Geeks said above, this is the era of instant reprints, whether they are justified or not.

Like I said: I'm happy to be wrong, and that THIS book is different from alllllll the other books in similar situations...but I don't think I am. If the book doesn't sell out in a week, in this day and age, then no, I won't be buying multiple copies from a retailer, no matter how much he thinks this book will be "worth."

This is NOT a prediction. The character may prove popular beyond all wildest dreams. I hope it is. But history says otherwise. 

4 hours ago, MGH said:

If print run is 250k then there will be more of these ross virgins out in the wild  than the retailer virgins with only 1k distributions. 

1. The only people who know what the print run is are Marvel and the printers. They don't release this information, with very, very few exceptions.

2. 1:100 is an ORDERING number, not a PRINTING number.  Other than establishing a necessary floor, it tells us nothing about how many copies are actually printed, because Marvel doesn't release that information.

That said, you're almost certainly correct, that there are more 1:100s than the store exclusive editions.

Alex ross virgins going for well over $100 with more rare versions selling for much less..  Do people realise what they are bidding on? 

Edited by MGH

7 hours ago, MGH said:

Alex ross virgins going for well over $100 with more rare versions selling for much less..  Do people realise what they are bidding on? 

So much of this is driven by the perceived demand, rather than actual demand. Long-term prices will stabilize (where, who knows?) when the aftermarket reflect what people actually want based on where they put their money.

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

PS. I will order that second print, because it's 1. pretty cool, and 2. probably printed to a lot fewer numbers than the first.

re: ASM #798 2nd print Red Goblin on cover will all be ordered by retailers who got burnt by not ordering any of later printing of :ph34r: the Capt Marvel with first cover app. of Kamala Kahn.

14 hours ago, MGH said:

Some people are actually intelligent enough to realize that rarity isn't everything.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Some people are actually intelligent enough to realize that rarity isn't everything.

Can you explain what the ross virgin variant has going for it over other options then?   Rarity may not be everything, but I don't think the ross cover is the best in the lot, it's not the most rare, it doesn't have a cover appearance of rg etc..  Im curious  as to why its valued  so highly against other options and suspect it may not stay that way. 

Edited by MGH

20 minutes ago, MGH said:

Can you explain what the ross virgin variant has going for it over other options then?   Rarity may not be everything, but I don't think the ross cover is the best in the lot, it's not the most rare, it doesn't have a cover appearance of rg etc..  Im curious  as to why its valued  so highly against other options and suspect it may not stay that way. 

others are store variants, they are not as sought after as incentives

54 minutes ago, williamblood said:

others are store variants, they are not as sought after as incentives

Not necessarily true. 

Eg.. 797 mayhew variant vs 797 incentive variant 

Mayhew variant sold out in minutes.. I' say that was sought after.. 

Edited by MGH