• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the bigger key and why?

32 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I think there is some evidence that the All New X-Men were a hit prior to Wolverine's individual break out.

The new team was obviously a great , virtually from the start, but many readers of the time were ready for the overshadowed Wolverine to leave the group. There was talk to write him off. It was not until Canadian John Byrne took over the art that the character began to be fleshed out (he didn't even have a regular name!). Eager to keep a Canadian super-hero viable, Byrne gave Wolvie one of the bronze age's best moments; issue #133 vs. The Hellfire Club. 

I think that was when Wolverine became cool; so no GSXM1, no cool cutting Canuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(character)

If hulk 181 never introduced wolverine John Byrne could never have made him better (xmen 133 is great ?) 

And it's possible if wolverine just didn't appear in gsx he could have been brought back in a later hulk issue or something else. Maybe he would have become a villain or an avenger...interesting ?

Reading the letters columns will give you great historical perspective and Marvel wasn't afraid to publish negative letters either, so the columns are fairly balanced. Reading through the old X-Men books, it's funny how many readers had a hard time adjusting to the new team. One guy hated all of them, but did mention he thought that Wolverine guy had potential (hopefully he was stocking up on IH 181's).

I bet somebody here has some of the Hulk issues with the letters column for 180-182 reader responses. That would be interesting. 

7 hours ago, jason4 said:

If hulk 181 never introduced wolverine John Byrne could never have made him better (xmen 133 is great ?) 

And it's possible if wolverine just didn't appear in gsx he could have been brought back in a later hulk issue or something else. Maybe he would have become a villain or an avenger...interesting ?

There was a decision made about whether Thunderbird or Wolverine was to die in X-Men 95.

If Thunderbird had won, Byrne could just as well have developed Proudstar's character, as the Native American himself started out just as superficially-profiled;  angry, aggressive, and with similar abilities to Wolverine.

Thunderbird / Warpath's one of my favourite X-Men and could've, at least in a parallel universe, been an effective replacement for Logan, with a similarly elevated status.

Alpha Flight would still have been introduced by Byrne, with the initial stories playing out differently but, in the end, not critically dependent upon the existence of the Canadian X-Man.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 2/28/2018 at 1:30 PM, KirbyJack said:

I think there is some evidence that the All New X-Men were a hit prior to Wolverine's individual break out.

:screwy:

What do you know? I want to hear more about history from the real experts. :wink: