• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which is the bigger key and why?

32 posts in this topic

At least from the current prices, it would appear that Hulk #181 is a bigger key than Giant-Size X-Men #1. Yet the latter introduces more major characters all at once, and it's a brand new superhero lineup for a major comic title. Hulk 181 just introduces one new character.

Edited by Getoutandstayout

Wolverine is the most iconic Marvel character, since Spider-Man, not to mention, being more complex and multi-dimensional.  If Wolverine's first appearnace had occurred at the same time as AF15, it would be the more expensive of the two.  The combination of Storm's, Nightcrawler's, Colossus', and Thunderbird's first appearance, just pales in comparison.

59 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

Wolverine is the most iconic Marvel character, since Spider-Man, not to mention, being more complex and multi-dimensional.  If Wolverine's first appearnace had occurred at the same time as AF15, it would be the more expensive of the two.  The combination of Storm's, Nightcrawler's, Colossus', and Thunderbird's first appearance, just pales in comparison.

The only difference is, there are very few AF #15s out there, whereas Hulk 181s are quite plentiful. Same with GSXmen 1. Logic tells me to go after a high-demand book with low supply. So I recently put an Amazing Spider-Man #4 on layaway. 181 seems a bit too much like Bitcoin right now. Some may not agree, but I'm going to hold off and see what happens.

16 hours ago, Getoutandstayout said:

The only difference is, there are very few AF #15s out there, whereas Hulk 181s are quite plentiful. Same with GSXmen 1. Logic tells me to go after a high-demand book with low supply. So I recently put an Amazing Spider-Man #4 on layaway. 181 seems a bit too much like Bitcoin right now. Some may not agree, but I'm going to hold off and see what happens.

Difference is, every single collector wants a Hulk 181. Not every single collector wants an asm4. While you and me may see the better value in asm4, sandman really isn't in the must have state of a hulk 181.

Similarly, you can look up superman 30 which is the first appearance of mr. mxy and see its worth far less than asm 3 first doc octopus, even though on the scarcity scale superman 30 is much rarer.

1 hour ago, Rezin1234 said:

Difference is, every single collector wants a Hulk 181. Not every single collector wants an asm4. While you and me may see the better value in asm4, sandman really isn't in the must have state of a hulk 181.

Similarly, you can look up superman 30 which is the first appearance of mr. mxy and see its worth far less than asm 3 first doc octopus, even though on the scarcity scale superman 30 is much rarer.

BUT I want a Superman 30 more (I may be the only one though)

Also - this should be in the Bronze Section (just saying) - but while here, Hulk 181 is a beast and I don't think overvalued (anymore thant he whole market is overvalued) and while GSXM1 is a great book, it is nowhere near Hulk 181 IMO.  The correct answer is that an X-Men fan should own both :)

1 hour ago, Chillax23 said:

BUT I want a Superman 30 more (I may be the only one though)

Also - this should be in the Bronze Section (just saying) - but while here, Hulk 181 is a beast and I don't think overvalued (anymore thant he whole market is overvalued) and while GSXM1 is a great book, it is nowhere near Hulk 181 IMO.  The correct answer is that an X-Men fan should own both :)

You and me both. I got a superman 30 and don't have asm 3 or 4. And I'm very happy with my decision :)

21 hours ago, Ecranu said:

Wolverine would have been a throwaway character without the New X-Men. Wolverine would not have become so popular without being fleshed out in the X-Men series. If GSX #1 did not exist, Wolverine would not not be the iconic character that he is today. I'll concede that it's the more expensive book, but no book had more impact on the Bronze Age and the explosive mutant madness it spawned than GSX #1.

2 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

Wolverine would have been a throwaway character without the New X-Men. Wolverine would not have become so popular without being fleshed out in the X-Men series. If GSX #1 did not exist, Wolverine would not not be the iconic character that he is today. I'll concede that it's the more expensive book, but no book had more impact on the Bronze Age and the explosive mutant madness it spawned than GSX #1.

Wouldn't you be implying xmen 94 is responsible for all that? Gsx1 was basically a bridge but 94 is the first issue of the series that as you argue fleshed out wolverine to its fullest. GSX 1 predates xmen 94 but really 94 is where it all truly began 

21 minutes ago, Rezin1234 said:

Wouldn't you be implying xmen 94 is responsible for all that? Gsx1 was basically a bridge but 94 is the first issue of the series that as you argue fleshed out wolverine to its fullest. GSX 1 predates xmen 94 but really 94 is where it all truly began 

No. I'm saying GSX #1 is the new beginning of the X-Men, not X-Men #94. X-Men #94 immediately follows the events in GSX #1. GSX #1 is the first New X-Men story, not X-Men #94.

14 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

No. I'm saying GSX #1 is the new beginning of the X-Men, not X-Men #94. X-Men #94 immediately follows the events in GSX #1. GSX #1 is the first New X-Men story, not X-Men #94.

181 is the first (full) appearance. Nothing is ever going to beat that in degree of importance.   It's the chicken and the egg since you can't actually definitely say if the X men made Wolverine popular or if Wolverine made the X men relevant/popular again.  

-J.

PS:  X men 94 ain't no slouch either. 

Edited by Jaydogrules

If hulk 181 didn't exist gsx1 and all future xmen books may have not have had the impact they had at all. Wolverine was the main reason the xmen were cool. Same thing in the 90s. 

Interesting debate if the xmen would even exist today if there was never wolverine. 181 > gsx 1 in value and importance. Obviously both are great books tho ?

44 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Same thing goes for SA books.  Comparing the value of Avengers #1 to their individual first appearances like TOS 39, IH 1, TTA 27, JIM 83..  The individual 1st appearance books are right around or worth more than Avengers #1.  

Glad you are keeping it SA talk in the SA forum lol

37 minutes ago, Primetime said:
1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

Same thing goes for SA books.  Comparing the value of Avengers #1 to their individual first appearances like TOS 39, IH 1, TTA 27, JIM 83..  The individual 1st appearance books are right around or worth more than Avengers #1.  

Glad you are keeping it SA talk in the SA forum lol

Yes, someone had to break the ice :p

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, jason4 said:

If hulk 181 didn't exist gsx1 and all future xmen books may have not have had the impact they had at all. Wolverine was the main reason the xmen were cool. Same thing in the 90s. 

Interesting debate if the xmen would even exist today if there was never wolverine. 181 > gsx 1 in value and importance. Obviously both are great books tho ?

I think there is some evidence that the All New X-Men were a hit prior to Wolverine's individual break out.

The new team was obviously a great , virtually from the start, but many readers of the time were ready for the overshadowed Wolverine to leave the group. There was talk to write him off. It was not until Canadian John Byrne took over the art that the character began to be fleshed out (he didn't even have a regular name!). Eager to keep a Canadian super-hero viable, Byrne gave Wolvie one of the bronze age's best moments; issue #133 vs. The Hellfire Club. 

I think that was when Wolverine became cool; so no GSXM1, no cool cutting Canuck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolverine_(character)

Edited by KirbyJack
had a leftover credit in there

On 2/26/2018 at 3:25 PM, KirbyJack said:

I don't miss my Hulk 181 at all. 

If I didn't currently have one, Spidey 4 would be at the very top of my want list.

I'm with you Kirby.  I've owned at least 10 copies of Hulk 181, and they never stay in my house long.  

The good news is if you start to miss it, there's 40,000 for sale on ebay right now. (thumbsu