• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ms Marvel #18

24 posts in this topic

Can someone please tell me what is so great about this book? Is Mystique really that much of a super hero that her first appearance should cause this issue to skyrocket? Anyone have any thoughts? Is this just a temporary spike or will this book continue to climb?

Can someone please tell me what is so great about this book? Is Mystique really that much of a super hero that her first appearance should cause this issue to skyrocket? Anyone have any thoughts? Is this just a temporary spike or will this book continue to climb?

That book has been moving up for a few years now, so I don't know how "temporary" a spike it is.

There have been several discussions of this book on the forums if you really want to see the arguments for and against laid out.

I can sell vg copies all day long for 10 buck raw And I can't find high grade copies of this book for a reasonable price. I have been looking for nice raw 9.2-9.4 copies of 16 and 18 for a while and specifically because they are mystique issues. As for her status she did recently have a comic series, was in both X-men movies and as the draco prologue told us she is nightcrawlers mother. So yes she is a big enough character to warrent her first appearance being sought after. Hell I paid 35.00 buck for a 2 book Tomb of Dracula lot to get a 9.4 raw copy of the 1st Hannibal King and he never even had his own series. and on top of that the other book was a trashed # 1 that I don't even want and cant sell for 15.00 bucks. So unless the book is 200.00 or more for a certified 9.4 it's probably worth it. I would personally pay a bill for a graded 9.4 #18.

Just check ebay, an 8.5 went for 20 bucks plus shipping and a 9.2 went for like 115.00 not bad on price. I can actually sell the 8.5 for double that locally but I have a group of teenagers that like this stuff and can't afford NM so they pay a little better on VF's and below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35761&item=6535716696&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

$27 total ... I would have thought a slabbed 8.5 would have done better

slabbing was a waste of money for the seller (if they slabbed it) given that it seems to get $15+ in nice shape with a really good scan.

As for whether it's worth it.... it's not a vastly common issue versus other Marvel BA books from the mid/late 70s...wasn't the series cancelled 6 issues later or so? Not saying it's rare, but it probably isn't like ASM or X-Men from the same period where dealers/speculators may have been salting away 500 copies a month for later resale. They had already been burned buying tons of the #1 issue they couldn't unload.

Was a quarter bin book for a long time, so many copies got dinged up.

So, compared to some other X-"firsts" in the main X-Men title, it's less common.

She's a pretty important character in the movies and as of late in the comics, right?

Sabretooth's first and X-Men 101 go for nice bucks as well, the same arguments could be made against them.

X-Men 266, later and vastly more common, does very well in the higher grades.

Can't really compare it to Avengers Annual 10 (Rogue) given that was speculated on.

The focus does seem to be on 9.2 and above.

An 8.5 barely covers the cost of slabbing.

I can sell vg copies all day long for 10 buck raw And I can't find high grade copies of this book for a reasonable price. I have been looking for nice raw 9.2-9.4 copies of 16 and 18 for a while and specifically because they are mystique issues. As for her status she did recently have a comic series, was in both X-men movies and as the draco prologue told us she is nightcrawlers mother. So yes she is a big enough character to warrent her first appearance being sought after. Hell I paid 35.00 buck for a 2 book Tomb of Dracula lot to get a 9.4 raw copy of the 1st Hannibal King and he never even had his own series. and on top of that the other book was a trashed # 1 that I don't even want and cant sell for 15.00 bucks. So unless the book is 200.00 or more for a certified 9.4 it's probably worth it. I would personally pay a bill for a graded 9.4 #18.

Two of the last four sales of a CGC graded 9.4 copy of #18 were for over 300.00. There hasn't been a CGC 9.4 copy that sold at public auction for less than $100 since early 2003.

Well a 9.2 sold for less than 120.00 And the 9.4 I saw for 350.00 had no takers so 200 sounds reasonable and personally I can't afford more than 100 for that issue because other obscure marvel titles are higher on my list of demands like marvel spotlight 12 and fear 19 And I should be able to obtain both of them for 100 or less each in the 9.2-9.4 range

I recently picked up a 9.0 cgc for 35 bucks. It is in an older slab and the book looks better than 9.0. I also have at least 3 raw that are 9.2 or better and paid no more than 70 bucks each...(had to be patient)

I was also looking for a nice copy of this book for a long time. Given that it's a "girl hero" book I think is important to it being not very popular at the time, and the black cover makes it tough to find in good condition. That's all good news for me. I've got a CGC 9.4 in my "investment box" that I've been either too lazy to list, or unwilling because I like owning it. Bought it for $10 raw last year, and I might hold onto it a bit longer.

I sold my 9.6 on Comiclink pretty quickly for $450. Bought raw for $20, but I got extremely lucky. A LCS got a OO Bronze collection, and the owner had read each comic once, if that, and filed them away. The #18 is much harder to get in 9.6 or 9.8 than #16 or #17.

"."

hail.gif You read my mind his sentence was too long there was no way to tell where one thought started and the other stopped I had to go back and reread some parts two maybe three times to figure out what he was trying to say eventually I just gave up and kicked my dog in frustration I don't have the patience to sit and try to puzzle through posts like that how are you doing Rob why aren't you going to San Diego this year?

"."

hail.gif You read my mind his sentence was too long there was no way to tell where one thought started and the other stopped I had to go back and reread some parts two maybe three times to figure out what he was trying to say eventually I just gave up and kicked my dog in frustration I don't have the patience to sit and try to puzzle through posts like that how are you doing Rob why aren't you going to San Diego this year?

Damn dude I wish I was but I didn't have my act together in time to get a hotel room book way back in february which is not surprising I'm not even set to go to Chicago yet and that's only a couple of months away the good thing is am doing that this week though so all is not lost and I should be okay for that show just no san diego which stinks because I really want to go to Sand Diego again

Will the both of you be at the Chicago show and if you are will we need to get some super de duper de wine again at the dinner Diane might be coming this year so she and Liz can compare notes on what its like to be comic widows not that there is anything wrong with that of course I also have dugout box tickets for the Cubs game on Monday so it should be fun for everybody

Thank you everyone for your thoughts! I always do appreciate your points of view-whatever they are! I just bought this book, in CGC 9.4 for $160 on Comic Link! I look forward to adding it to my collection. According to GPA analysis, I got it at a great price!

Will the both of you be at the Chicago show and if you are will we need to get some super de duper de wine again at the dinner Diane might be coming this year so she and Liz can compare notes on what its like to be comic widows not that there is anything wrong with that of course I also have dugout box tickets for the Cubs game on Monday so it should be fun for everybody

Yeah I'm just making my plans this week but unless there is some outrageous snafu with hotel flight or artist's alley I'll be there with bells on and we can have head sized steaks and top notch wine maybe we can lasso rhino_comics and steve borock into sitting at our table and we can turn it into a regular tasting party if we do that I'm buying some bordeaux because Scott will buy something from the states and we'll have to balance out the wine regions