• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gender/Race-Exclusive ECCC-sponsored mixers?
3 3

103 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
12 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:

Mixing is not allowed at a mingle! (tsk)

Do you have to give a jingle if you wanna mingle? 

Only with Kris Kringle

2 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Only with Kris Kringle

And don't forget the sixer on the way to the mixer

6 minutes ago, jaybuck43 said:
11 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Only with Kris Kringle

You have to be single to mingle with Kris Kringle

Either way Tanta Kringle will mess you up.

17 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
22 minutes ago, Jerkfro said:

Only with Kris Kringle

And don't forget the sixer on the way to the mixer

Or a nice elixir, perhaps with a 76er

Edited by Jerkfro

14 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Not for nothing, but isn't the whole point of a comic convention - or any hobby convention for that matter - that race/gender/ethnicity/religion doesn't really matter because we're all fans of something? Isn't that the whole idea? I don't care if you're a queer transgender Muslim woman if you can converse with me about what  a jerk Reed Richards was in Bronze Age Fantastic Fours.

Isn't the whole point of a comic convention is that it becomes a place where everyone can get their geek on without repercussions? Maybe I just don't get it. 

You have exactly the thoughts what I was thinking. That’s how I see it when I am in a con, to enjoy my geekiness to its fullest. 

3 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:
20 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Not for nothing, but isn't the whole point of a comic convention - or any hobby convention for that matter - that race/gender/ethnicity/religion doesn't really matter because we're all fans of something? Isn't that the whole idea? I don't care if you're a queer transgender Muslim woman if you can converse with me about what  a jerk Reed Richards was in Bronze Age Fantastic Fours.

Isn't the whole point of a comic convention is that it becomes a place where everyone can get their geek on without repercussions? Maybe I just don't get it. 

You have exactly the thoughts what I was thinking. That’s how I see it when I am in a con, to enjoy my geekiness to its fullest. 

I think you're overlooking the obvious.  It's a mixer for the traveling like-minded.

24 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yes. Exactly. Absolutely. Point-on.

3 minutes ago, jcjames said:
29 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yes. Exactly. Absolutely. Point-on.

I would yes, to a certain degree.  Is it cool to share a common experience with all kinds of people who also love that thing?  yes.  But is it also SOMETIMES cool to share that experience with someone with whom you have other shared commonalities?  I would also say ... YES.

Now if you're a straight white male, you USUALLY don't have to look far to find someone else with a few shared interests, not necessarily because of prejudice or discrimination or whatever, but simply based on population demographics.  But imagine you're young and gay, and there's some cool gay-themes in comics or gay comic books you want to discuss or specific issues you want to discuss based on your background.  It might be nice for someone to has someone specific to talk to or a specific resource to tap, and for someone to point it out.  Now no one is stopping a straight white dude from going to the discussion of the influence of the Koran on Ms Marvel, but sometimes its nice to have someone arrange a discussion/mixer about a specific minority theme.  Because there aren't always that many people, it can nice to help people find each other.  I don't really see what the harm is.  If your concern is equality, no one is being excluded.  If you have real concerns about how Latinas are portrayed in media and want to have an honest and thoughtful discussion, I'm sure you can be heard.  If your big concern is 'what about if I wanted to have a party with all straight male dudes', I would say to you, "You're gay, not that there's anything wrong with that."

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

To speak specifically, those two mixers are aimed at industry professionals.  So it's for people in Comics who are LGBTQ etc, not necessarily for fans (though they are not excluded).  That's why there are 2 meet ups out of about 100 that focus on the fan, rather than the fandom.  All the other's are the "Deadpool Meetup", "DC Comics Meetup" etc.

6 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

If you are interested here is every ECCC meet up http://www.emeraldcitycomiccon.com/en/Contributors/5278238/ECCC-Meetups 

The thing I'm seeing is that they are creating an atmosphere for like minded people of a specific hobby or pop culture item. Cool.

Then they created some based on your skin color or sexual preference.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

The thing I'm seeing is that they are creating an atmosphere for like minded people of a specific hobby or pop culture item. Cool.

Then they created some based on your skin color or sexual preference.

Again, THEY didn't create it.  Fans created it.  Because, again, these are submitted by fans.

27 minutes ago, revat said:

I would yes, to a certain degree.  Is it cool to share a common experience with all kinds of people who also love that thing?  yes.  But is it also SOMETIMES cool to share that experience with someone with whom you have other shared commonalities?  I would also say ... YES.

Now if you're a straight white male, you USUALLY don't have to look far to find someone else with a few shared interests, not necessarily because of prejudice or discrimination or whatever, but simply based on population demographics.  But imagine you're young and gay, and there's some cool gay-themes in comics or gay comic books you want to discuss or specific issues you want to discuss based on your background.  It might be nice for someone to has someone specific to talk to or a specific resource to tap, and for someone to point it out.  Now no one is stopping a straight white dude from going to the discussion of the influence of the Koran on Ms Marvel, but sometimes its nice to have someone arrange a discussion/mixer about a specific minority theme.  Because there aren't always that many people, it can nice to help people find each other.  I don't really see what the harm is.  If your concern is equality, no one is being excluded.  If you have real concerns about how Latinas are portrayed in media and want to have an honest and thoughtful discussion, I'm sure you can be heard.  If your big concern is 'what about if I wanted to have a party with all straight male dudes', I would say to you, "You're gay, not that there's anything wrong with that." :eyeroll:

The thread was asking about what a "mixer" is (I've never been to one or know anything what it is) and whether there was any race/gender-based exclusion going on sponsored by ECCC.

Learning that it's a non-excluding gathering of folks at a con, I had no problem with it (it'd probably be better if they had food but whatever). I was really asking because I didn't know what it was and I really don't care if it's gays or straights or minorities or any group gathering together to share info, stories, whatever. That's what cons are for, right? My question was whether ECCC was sponsoring race/gender-based exclusive gatherings (ECCC's response about there being no mixers for "your category" sounded a bit excluding) which they apparently are not excluding anyone which is all fine. Apparently simply asking what a mixer is, and whether ECCC was sponsoring race/gender-exclusive gatherings sets off some people into hate-filled hysterics.

Edited by jcjames

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Ah, didn't see that mentioned anywhere. So they just tolerated it?

When the organizers (Reed) start planning the show, they receive suggestions from the general public.  So Marvel will submit their plans, DC will submit theirs, but like I can submit a panel as well.  So I will submit "The Constitution and Comics, How Superheroes routinely bend Due Process and other Constitutional Rights" as a topic, and list several guests I plan to invite/already have confirmed.  Reed looks over the suggestion and decides if it would be of interest and they book it.  It might be 12:30 on Thursday, it might by 5:00pm on Saturday, depending on how interesting they think it would be.