• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gender/Race-Exclusive ECCC-sponsored mixers?
3 3

103 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

Feel free to attend the mixer.  No-one is checking the door to ONLY let in a certain group.  There are however, organized mixers set up by groups interested in giving certain groups the ability to feel included.  Panels and mixers are organized by individuals who submit requests.  Anyone can submit, ECCC chooses the ones they think will get good interest.

Okay thanks, this is the way it should be.

If ECCC chooses one over the other due to obvious limitations on space and time, I would hope they would be impartial to the groups.

2 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Okay thanks, this is the way it should be.

If ECCC chooses one over the other due to obvious limitations on space and time, I would hope they would be impartial to the groups.

I have no idea the selection process, but usually they won't have a space issue with mixers, they are usually later in the evening after all the panels are done.  

Who is attending a social event seems like such a bizarre thing to get upset over.  Talk to who you want, socialize with who you like, and leave people alone.

In social situations, I've always subscribed to the idea of, "If you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut."

1 hour ago, jaybuck43 said:

I have no idea the selection process, but usually they won't have a space issue with mixers, they are usually later in the evening after all the panels are done.  

So they're kinda like "after-hours" gatherings there.

Have you ever been to one? Is there a charge? Is there food?

This is all new to me, I didn't even know what a "mixer" was until now, let alone what they do there. :grin:

51 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

Who is attending a social event seems like such a bizarre thing to get upset over.  Talk to who you want, socialize with who you like, and leave people alone.

In social situations, I've always subscribed to the idea of, "If you can't say anything nice, keep your mouth shut."

I  think the idea was that these might have been ECCC-sponsored events that sounded exclusionary.

9 minutes ago, jcjames said:

So they're kinda like "after-hours" gatherings there.

Have you ever been to one? Is there a charge? Is there food?

This is all new to me, I didn't even know what a "mixer" was until now, let alone what they do there. :grin:

No, it's a 1 hour "panel" held in a room where a bunch of people get together and exchange business cards, etc.  It ran from 12:15-1:15.  No charge, no food, etc.  Members of the industry, people trying to crack into the industry, or just fans who identify and want to meet other similarly identifying fans go there.  

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

No, it's a 1 hour "panel" held in a room where a bunch of people get together and exchange business cards, etc.  It ran from 12:15-1:15.  No charge, no food, etc.  Members of the industry, people trying to crack into the industry, or just fans who identify and want to meet other similarly identifying fans go there.  

Oh, ok, no food. meh.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:

Feel free to attend the mixer.  No-one is checking the door to ONLY let in a certain group.  There are however, organized mixers set up by groups interested in giving certain groups the ability to feel included.  Panels and mixers are organized by individuals who submit requests.  Anyone can submit, ECCC chooses the ones they think will get good interest.

Based on many posts that I have seen from the op, they have, arguably, an obsession with "race/gender."

Op, take that as you will.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was raised in Weehawken, NJ.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Weehawken, NJ

8 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Based on many posts that I have seen from the op, they have, arguably, an obsession with "race/gender."

An "obsession".  hm  I think I do know how to take that. 

1 hour ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Hey great - let's get personal!

So since you're obviously quite obsessed with tracking the proportion of my posts and their topics - then please post the data that you are using to come to your psychoanalytical conclusion about me personally.

Show a list of all of the topics of my posts within the past year or so and what your criteria is for being "obsessed" with "race/gender".

You made a personal accusation about me - so now back it up or retract it and apologize for making false accusations.

Go.

3 hours ago, jaybuck43 said:
3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

hi @jaybuck43

long time listener, first time poster. Can you “mingle” at a “mixer” or is that discouraged?

You going to hang up and listen for the response? lol sure you can mingle at a mixer. 

Well c r a p! I wanted to mix at a mingle. What the hell am I going to do now?

Edited by Jerkfro

1 minute ago, jaybuck43 said:

Mixing is not allowed at a mingle! (tsk)

Do you have to give a jingle if you wanna mingle?