• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you protect yourself as a seller on eBay

41 posts in this topic

The title pretty much says it, but some quick details. I just sold a slab for about $450 that's been sitting for a while (NM 98 CGC 9.6) to a buyer with 4 feedback and am concerned that it could be a scammer with a new account that will claim to not have gotten the book. I thought I had my seller preferences to block buyers with feedback that low but I guess not. Any advice?

20 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The title pretty much says it, but some quick details. I just sold a slab for about $450 that's been sitting for a while (NM 98 CGC 9.6) to a buyer with 4 feedback and am concerned that it could be a scammer with a new account that will claim to not have gotten the book. I thought I had my seller preferences to block buyers with feedback that low but I guess not. Any advice?

And what does the rest of his feedback say? Has he been buying from other comic dealers?

Don't skimp on the packing. Pack it very good so that he can't/shouldn't claim to have received a damaged slab.

Check his feedback BEFORE shipping it out.

From what I understand (and I may be wrong), if the tracking says it's been delivered, Ebay will side with you on any "not delivered' claim.

Don't sell it to him. I've had concerns selling expensive books to bidders with 1 or 2 feedback scores...I cancelled the deal and put it back up for auction, typically selling to someone with a 50+ rating atleast. I've been burned one too many times.

I also now NEVER ship something without tracking and try and get signatures for the more expensive books.

57 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Definitely ship with signature service.  

Signature Service is no guarantee either, I've heard several recent stories (and personally experienced one) of the carrier signing for the item themselves and leaving it.  All across the big three (USPS, UPS, FedEx) too.  Obvious mail fraud, yet the carriers don't do **&% about it.

Only sure fire way to protect yourself from eBay as a seller is to not sell on eBay

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:
1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Definitely ship with signature service.  

Signature Service is no guarantee either, I've heard several recent stories (and personally experienced one) of the carrier signing for the item themselves and leaving it.  All across the big three (USPS, UPS, FedEx) too.  Obvious mail fraud, yet the carriers don't do **&% about it.

Only sure fire way to protect yourself from eBay as a seller is to not sell on eBay

--- but that still covers you as a seller.  While I never want to screw a buyer over - the signature confirmation covers you.

6 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Only sure fire way to protect yourself from eBay as a seller is to not sell on eBay. 

It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing. For anything over $200 I add signature and insurance. For $1k+ I do registered, generally.

7 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

All 4 are positive. I can't check on the value of what he's been buying because the items don't show:

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.21.47 PM.png

How about his/her feedback left for the people he bought from? I would think that matters....to see if he is on the up and up...

I barely have 67 buyer feed back, but have been a member since I think 2013, makes me thankful that those sellers gave me a chance. I agree though that you can not be too careful :foryou:

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

How about his/her feedback left for the people he bought from? I would think that matters....to see if he is on the up and up...

I barely have 67 buyer feed back, but have been a member since I think 2013, makes me thankful that those sellers gave me a chance. I agree though that you can not be too careful :foryou:

No feedback left for buyers.

54 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

All 4 are positive. I can't check on the value of what he's been buying because the items don't show:

Screen Shot 2018-03-07 at 1.21.47 PM.png

I'll resist my impulse to use the head slap emoticon.

Without even looking, I can see two of those sellers are comic dealers. That's a good sign; he's been buying comics and not $1.98 widgets. If you look at the feedback he has left, you can locate the item that way. If he does not leave feedback, match up the sellers' feedback to the buyer with the feedback rating of "4" within the last month, you can locate the item.

I have never bought from a seller with less that 100% positive feedback and never had trouble. Also use a fully verified Paypal account With those two things I have always been taken care of either by the seller or ebay.

Ebay will side with the seller (you) as long as the carrier provided proof of delivery and you sent the package to a PayPal confirmed address.  All that's needed for proof of delivery is a tracking number; signature is not required.  I typically add signature requirement to protect the buyer for higher priced items - ie so the carrier won't just leave a box unattended giving it potential for all kinds of bad things to happen.

Everybody has to start somewhere.  What if this collector is 22, just started working out of college and had no need for an ebay account until now?  As long as the buyer has paid with a confirmed address - you are set as long as you hold up your end of the bargain.