• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

lol, nowhere as bad.  

Just funny that the tip of his member "accidentally" showed up on every photo...  I forgot which boardie share that story. It was fantastic.

That sounds like the kind of Friday 🧵 we need around these parts! 😝 

given the visual effects on A Wrinkle in Time and Tom King writing it with her it was going to be small storywise with big characters and big effects. Maybe not too much big action but big themes on a small personal level, and some action too of course.

woulda been something else, that is for sure!

1 hour ago, Bird said:

given the visual effects on A Wrinkle in Time and Tom King writing it with her it was going to be small storywise with big characters and big effects. Maybe not too much big action but big themes on a small personal level, and some action too of course.

woulda been something else, that is for sure!

So is John Wick but it makes Bavillions at the box office cus it's 

tenor-117.gif

Edited by Hollywood1892

19 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Production planning-wise - sure thing

Content-wise - yeah, try again

DC_vs_MCU.png.6eb01880c27d6fa1ecd790813207c7e1.png

This post actually proves my point. Yes - Marvel’s had some turkeys (cough - Thor 2, Guardians 2), but DC first announced its solo Flash film in July 2013. 7 years later we haven’t even had a casting announcement.

Meanwhile in that time we’ve seen two films each featuring such D-list characters as Ant-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

And you really want to argue average quality of the respective films that have been released?

The biggest tragedy here is that DC started so far ahead of Marvel - with the Nolan Batman trilogy and even Man of Steel (easily the best Superman film since Superman II). 

We deserve better.

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

This post actually proves my point. Yes - Marvel’s had some turkeys (cough - Thor 2, Guardians 2), but DC first announced its solo Flash film in July 2013. 7 years later we haven’t even had a casting announcement.

Meanwhile in that time we’ve seen two films each featuring such D-list characters as Ant-Man and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

And you really want to argue average quality of the respective films that have been released?

The biggest tragedy here is that DC started so far ahead of Marvel - with the Nolan Batman trilogy and even Man of Steel (easily the best Superman film since Superman II). 

We deserve better.

We do deserve better. And WB Studios should be held accountable by AT&T and WarnerMedia (and the fans) to determine a plan and stick to it in some logical way.

But even with all the excessive tampering by WB executives, they still land solid hits despite their ignorance. And even when folks have declared films like Joker or Aquaman are going to have a horrible result at the box office, the darn things break a billion dollars each and become massive hits. And with the former, winning awards all the way through while doing it.

This whole A-List, B-List, etc. thing is fun to read. But what it comes down to is studio commitment no matter where these comic book characters are on the fan list. That's where the magic of Feige has really come through massively.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

We do deserve better. And WB Studios should be held accountable by AT&T and WarnerMedia (and the fans) to determine a plan and stick to it in some logical way.

But even with all the excessive tampering by WB executives, they still land solid hits despite their ignorance. And even when folks have declared films like Joker or Aquaman are going to have a horrible result at the box office, the darn things break a billion dollars each and become massive hits. And with the former, winning awards all the way through while doing it.

This whole A-List, B-List, etc. thing is fun to read. But what it comes down to is studio commitment no matter where these comic book characters are on the fan list. That's where the magic of Feige has really come through massively.

I think WB got handcuffed by its own success with Nolan's Batman.  I seem to remember him saying he wanted his Batman to be its own thing, and did not consider it the start of the DCEU, and did not want it to be the start.  Which left WB starting from scratch again.  The handed the control over to Snyder, and his approach was divisive.  I know people like MoS, I do not care for it, and because of that I stopped watching the Snyder stuff.  Snyder and WB at that point went out of their way not to follow the Marvel model, meaning they would skip "origin" and single character movies and attempt to jump to the team films.  I understand they wanted to catch up, and felt another new Batman trilogy on the heels of Nolan's would be too soon and not needed. They had the Superman origin in place, and just figured they could weave in the other solo films after establishing characters in the team films.  It failed, especially when BvS underperformed and the studio heads panicked, and then crashed the plane with JL.

Yeah, that left the DCEU in development hell, where they were already so far along with WW and Aquaman that stopping those films made no sense.  Removed to a degree from Snyder (I know he is an executive producer) the chose to go forward with minimal changes, they were both good well received films.  They jumped to WW2 because WW seemed to be the way back.  Well between a marginal at best film and COVID it  crashed.  Now they are left picking up the pieces from their own mess.  All the films in development are still loosely connected to Whedon JL, but then the agree to release the Snyder Cut and people like it better then the original.  So now they are again faced with three choices. Go back to Snyder's vision, stick with the theatrical JL direction, or figure out how to rework everything yet again without truly starting over because some things worked most did not. There is not a clear, nor has there ever been a clear roadmap, beyond Snyder's original plan for 3 or 4 films.

Would you want to figure out which path will work best? Marvel on the other hand has figured out a formula with a well defined road map.  The films may not all be great, but they are at least entertaining. Not all have been record breaking, but they have all made money. Except for the Avenger films, all the films came with various budgets and different expectations.  With DCUE all the films released have been borderline make or break for the universe. Marvel created an environment, where by shear volume and good will, they could just power through and films that failed to meet expectations. 

7 minutes ago, drotto said:

I think WB got handcuffed by its own success with Nolan's Batman.  I seem to remember him saying he wanted his Batman to be its own thing, and did not consider it the start of the DCEU, and did not want it to be the start.  Which left WB starting from scratch again.  The handed the control over to Snyder, and his approach was divisive

Spoiler

I know people like MoS, I do not care for it, and because of that I stopped watching the Snyder stuff.  Snyder and WB at that point went out of their way not to follow the Marvel model, meaning they would skip "origin" and single character movies and attempt to jump to the team films.  I understand they wanted to catch up, and felt another new Batman trilogy on the heels of Nolan's would be too soon and not needed. They had the Superman origin in place, and just figured they could weave in the other solo films after establishing characters in the team films.  It failed, especially when BvS underperformed and the studio heads panicked, and then crashed the plane with JL.

Yeah, that left the DCEU in development hell, where they were already so far along with WW and Aquaman that stopping those films made no sense.  Removed to a degree from Snyder (I know he is an executive producer) the chose to go forward with minimal changes, they were both good well received films.  They jumped to WW2 because WW seemed to be the way back.  Well between a marginal at best film and COVID it  crashed.  Now they are left picking up the pieces from their own mess.  All the films in development are still loosely connected to Whedon JL, but then the agree to release the Snyder Cut and people like it better then the original.  So now they are again faced with three choices. Go back to Snyder's vision, stick with the theatrical JL direction, or figure out how to rework everything yet again without truly starting over because some things worked most did not. There is not a clear, nor has there ever been a clear roadmap, beyond Snyder's original plan for 3 or 4 films.

Would you want to figure out which path will work best? Marvel on the other hand has figured out a formula with a well defined road map.  The films may not all be great, but they are at least entertaining. Not all have been record breaking, but they have all made money. Except for the Avenger films, all the films came with various budgets and different expectations.  With DCUE all the films released have been borderline make or break for the universe. Marvel created an environment, where by shear volume and good will, they could just power through and films that failed to meet expectations. 

Take a guess who produced Man of Steel. I'll wait. :popcorn:

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Take a guess who produced Man of Steel. I'll wait. :popcorn:

I know it was Nolan, but Snyder was clearly driving.  It does not change the fact that Nolan said he was not continuing his Batman universe, and basically withdraw from the DCUE after that.

11 minutes ago, drotto said:

I know it was Nolan, but Snyder was clearly driving.  It does not change the fact that Nolan said he was not continuing his Batman universe, and basically withdraw from the DCUE after that.

Nolan signed off on everything at that point. AND, he became such good friends with Zack Snyder they are still friends to this date.

Now as far as Marvel Studios finding its way it certainly did. But again you were mistaken on something as The Incredible Hulk was a financial failure and Captain America: The First Avenger broke even. As much as he is disliked now by many, it wasn't until Joss Whedon established a standard format that all of the MCU films became huge steady hits. Including films like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Prior to this, the financial results jumped around.

But with the Marvel Studios formula of having a dedicated production company with a P&L solely based on the comic book properties winning or losing, it kept the other studio entities within Disney from tampering. Which for some reason WB just does not get this.

The rest of your opinion about the DCEU being divisive - I get it. You don't like it. And it is funny when you read the latest Suicide Squad movie posts from folks that are also of the same mindset 'THIS IS THE DC FILMS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR'. Yeah. That comes back to 'DO IT LIKE THE MCU'. Comedy mixed with action. Not all these films have to be the very same way to be successful. As Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Joker all confirmed.

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Nolan signed off on everything at that point. AND, he became such good friends with Zack Snyder they are still friends to this date.

Now as far as Marvel Studios finding its way it certainly did. But again you were mistaken on something as The Incredible Hulk was a financial failure and Captain America: The First Avenger broke even. As much as he is disliked now by many, it wasn't until Joss Whedon established a standard format that all of the MCU films became huge steady hits. Including films like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange. Prior to this, the financial results jumped around.

But with the Marvel Studios formula of having a dedicated production company with a P&L solely based on the comic book properties winning or losing, it kept the other studio entities within Disney from tampering. Which for some reason WB just does not get this.

The rest of your your opinion about the DCEU being divisive - I get it. You don't like it. And it is funny when you read the latest Suicide Squad movie posts from folks that are also of the same mindset 'THIS IS THE DC FILMS I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR'. Yeah. That comes back to 'DO IT LIKE THE MCU'. Comedy mixed with action. Not all these films have to be the very same way to be successful. As Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Joker all confirmed.

I do not hate all the DCUE.  I loved WW, I really liked Aquaman, and the Snyder Cut of JL is entertaining. Not DCEU, but I really liked Snyder's Watchman, which I know is not a very popular opinion.  I always forget The hulk film was sorta retroactively the first MCEU film, and have never seen it. But even if you consider the Hulk and CA as minor failures, that is amazing considering 22 films have come out (I may be 1 or 2 off). I also do not discount that Whedon (despite his current fall from grace), absolutely killed it with the Avenger movie. He was the right person at the right time, and that film made the general public get it, that wow this it what they had planned all along, that was really cool. Everything led up to that panning shot when the team officially formed, and it is still the most iconic single Marvel shot. WB has failed to create their own formula and create that ah ha moment with the public, that single moment where everything came together. For me the Wonder Woman shot standing with the shield in No Man's Land came close for the DCUE, but that is more a character moment, not a franchise moment.

WB biggest mistake has been trying so hard not to be Marvel, that they have never figured out how to be DC on film. I think Nolan did that with his Batman, and despite of his friendship with Snyder and signing off on his stuff, the change in tone and direction from Nolan directing and writing is dramatic. 

As for the new SS movie, I am cautiously optimistic about it. I like James Gunn and the trailers have been solid. At the same time, the marketing seems to be presenting this film as its own, new thing and not really a sequel to the first film. This is going to be a Gunn film, just like Guardians is a Gunn film.  Being that, I am not sure it is going to be a good templet for the entire DCUE, because only Gunn is Gunn.  DC needs to find its own voice, that at the same time leaves room for each film to still be its own thing within boundaries.  That also is part of the Marvel success.