• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

Something is going on with the New Gods movie as lately as people have been repeatedly asking DuVernay for a status she has gotten upset and blocked people.

But that last comment is interesting concerning 'studio will be speaking about recent decisions...' :popcorn:

Warner Bros. and DC Films' upcoming slate is moving forward without Ava DuVernay's New Gods and James Wan's Aquaman spinoff, The Trench.

"As part of our DC slate, some legacy development titles including New Gods and The Trench will not be moving forward," Warner Bros. and DC said in a statement. "We thank our partners Ava DuVernay, Tom King, James Wan and Peter Safran for their time and collaboration during this process and look forward to our continued partnership with them on other DC stories. The projects will remain in their skillful hands if they were to move forward in the future."

New Gods, which DuVernay has been developing as a directing vehicle with acclaimed comic book writer Tom King since 2018, would have brought to the screen the comic book characters created by the late and legendary artist Jack Kirby. DuVernay, however, remains in the DC fold and is currently working on the DC series Naomi for The CW.

The Trench, meanwhile, was to have been a horror-tinged project spinning out of Aquaman and focused on the group of the deadly amphibious creatures seen in the $1 billion-grossing 2018 film. Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald had written the -script, which Wan was developing as a producer with collaborator Peter Safran. Wan, too, remains in the DC fold as he is prepping to shoot Aquaman 2 for the studio later this year.

The projects are being shelved but like many comic characters, could come to life down the road. DC Films, led by president Walter Hamada, is leaving the door open to revisit these properties in the future, but insiders note that when it became clear the upcoming DC slate did not have a natural spot for New Gods or The Trench over the next few years, execs believed it was best not to leave the filmmakers hanging in development without a clear end in sight.

What a childish studio response.

"New Gods, which would have been a sprawling tale, was complicated by the fact that its villain, Darkseid, just appeared as a major foil in Zack Snyder's Justice League and there was a desire to have space between the latter and any new appearances."

:facepalm:

2 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Welp, glad I got in on most of my Mr. Miracle books early at least. This will open up some nice buying opportunities. I would be surprised if they don't come back to this eventually.

Agreed, definitely looking forward to purchasing some high grade books. 

2 hours ago, media_junkie said:

WB does not want anything to do with anything that is even related in a little way to the Synder Universe.

The WB, finding new ways to :censored: mess the bed, every day.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:26 AM, Gatsby77 said:

My point.

It's more than a year later and still zero additional information about New Gods on IMDB - not a release date, stars, anything.

I'd still bet heavily against our ever seeing a New Gods film with DuVernay attached.

Thanks, @paperheartbut I actually predicted this here - two years ago.

Once A Wrinkle In Time bombed, this project was doomed.

Edited by Gatsby77