• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ava DuVernay's New Gods

129 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

Selma was a great film. When They See Us was powerful and gut wrenching at times. But yeah, Wrinkle in Time was pretty meh...

That being stated, I can't wait until they release a trailer. 

Wrinkle in Time had some storytelling weaknesses but was a great visual movie

then again I was a fan of the book from late elementary school exposure

After the missteps of the Justice League movie and its attempt to bring Apokolips to the DC Universe, Warner Bros. Pictures is now focusing on rebooting the characters with director Ava DuVernay tackling New Gods. She'll be getting some help from a fan-favorite comic scribe with Tom King coming aboard to help write the screenplay.

King is well known for his popular run on the series Mister Miracle, which chronicles the son of Highfather's battles with clinical depression while also reintroducing the New Gods in the DC Rebirth era. Now the writer is teasing work on the upcoming film after his appearance at San Diego Comic-Con this week.

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

‘New Gods’ Dilemma: DC’s Darkseid Is A Dead Ringer For Marvel’s Thanos

https://deadline.com/2019/07/new-gods-jack-kirby-jim-starlin-challenge-dcs-darkseid-is-a-dead-ringer-for-marvels-thanos-1202657958/

but does Thanos like crudite?  Tom King can pull this off :wishluck:

Responses to that article noted the real concern is both are large beings. Other than that, they are very dissimilar.

Agreed, Tom King will know how to address the differences. Though this being a New Gods film is a good start already.

I am so excited for this movie

Darkseid

High Father

Orion

If she does it write, she will blow it out of the water and DC will return to their perch of supremacy.

I doubt the movie will see theatres until 2022 but that is plenty of time to kindle with excitement and anticipation.

:whistle:

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Who Dat?

Highfaja?

Exactly!

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Alot of people think because and falsely that it is similar in nature to eternals that it won't ever hit screens

Why of course. They know better. (:

New updates for the upcoming New Gods film seem to rarely happen. All that we do know is that it will be based on Jack Kirby’s New God series from DC Comics and that writer Tom King and director Ava DuVernay are both working on the upcoming project. This, however, has not stopped Tom King from giving us an idea as to what challenges he has run into in making the film.

During an interview at New York Comic Con 2019, Tom King spoke with Inverse.com and talked a bit about the challenges of making a New Gods movie personal and staying true to Jack Kirby and his world:

“I can tell you the biggest challenge of the whole thing is to make it personal and make it good. Not make the bureaucracy of Hollywood and comics and all that stuff get in the way of a singular vision of what this story is about, which is about Jack Kirby and his world.”

On 1/9/2020 at 7:51 AM, Hollywood1892 said:

Alot of people think because and falsely that it is similar in nature to eternals that it won't ever hit screens

Nah.

As I posted in this very thread *more than two years ago* a lot of people (like me) think this won't ever hit the screens because DuVernay's A Wrinkle in Time lost Disney ~$100 million at the box office.

I mean, we're 2.5 years post-announcement and it's just now beginning to be written?

Might as well just re-title this "The Flash."