• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Golden Age/Silver Age shops in L.A. and San Diego
1 1

16 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Fiddy said:

JnJ Comics in Fountain Valley is pretty good.  They've got a pretty big selection of back issues but the owner gets a little weird when you start flipping through his expensive books if you don't ask for permission.

Trying to think if I’ve been to that one. Is that the store that has the weird lock system in the rows of vintage comics where you can flip through them but you can’t pull them out unless they’re unlocked

Just now, NoMan said:

Trying to think if I’ve been to that one. Is that the store that has the weird lock system in the rows of vintage comics where you can flip through them but you can’t pull them out unless they’re unlocked

No, that's probably Geoffrey's comics.  Geoffrey's has sheets of plastic covering covering the books with only 4" or so exposed so you can flipped through the books.  I spoke to one of the guys there a few weeks back and even though they had this system in place, someone was able to get to the books that were locked up.

JNJ is in a little mall in Fountain Valley.  The owner has a pigeon flying around inside the shop that craps on his books and display cases.  The place also sometimes smells of weed.  If that doesn't ring a bell then you've probably never been there.

5 minutes ago, Fiddy said:

No, that's probably Geoffrey's comics.  Geoffrey's has sheets of plastic covering covering the books with only 4" or so exposed so you can flipped through the books.  I spoke to one of the guys there a few weeks back and even though they had this system in place, someone was able to get to the books that were locked up.

JNJ is in a little mall in Fountain Valley.  The owner has a pigeon flying around inside the shop that craps on his books and display cases.  The place also sometimes smells of weed.  If that doesn't ring a bell then you've probably never been there.

No but with a deccription like that I gotta go! 

4 minutes ago, Fiddy said:

I've been to P Dots and haven't seen any Silver or Golden age books.  Even at cons they usually bring just modern age books.  

He’s gotta little glass counter there that’s got SA. I spend money there so he pulls vintage stuff out of boxes for me. He’s got tons of stuff not in store. Space is a problem. You’re right, no GA. 

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:

He’s gotta little glass counter there that’s got SA. I spend money there so he pulls vintage stuff out of boxes for me. He’s got tons of stuff not in store. Space is a problem. You’re right, no GA. 

I was there a few weeks back when they had their side walk sale.  They had some pretty decent modern stuff for $1.  I did go inside and checked out their display case but I think they had a few non-key SA books in the case.  Not really exciting stuff to be displaying in a case.

Have you ever been to Comic Cellar in Alhambra?  They had about 20 boxes of SA/BA books that are 50% off.  They grade pretty tight and at 50% off the prices are pretty good.  They also have a showcase in the back of the store with SA/BA keys.  The last time I checked they had a Hulk 181, WWBN #32, FF #48, and quite a few other books.  Unfortunately the books in the showcase aren't 50% off.  A few years back they had multiple copies of FF#1 for less than a grand each.  I was told all of the copies got scooped up by one buyer.

I grabbed this picture off their website but it shows some of the keys they have in the store.  I also see them at local cons and they bring out some really nice books

Slide 15

Edited by Fiddy

3 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Yeah, I've been there but that was years ago.  I heard a lot of good things about it but I wasn't too impressed with their selection.  I don't remember there being a lot of SA or GA books.  

7 hours ago, Fiddy said:

I was there a few weeks back when they had their side walk sale.  They had some pretty decent modern stuff for $1.  I did go inside and checked out their display case but I think they had a few non-key SA books in the case.  Not really exciting stuff to be displaying in a case.

Have you ever been to Comic Cellar in Alhambra?  They had about 20 boxes of SA/BA books that are 50% off.  They grade pretty tight and at 50% off the prices are pretty good.  They also have a showcase in the back of the store with SA/BA keys.  The last time I checked they had a Hulk 181, WWBN #32, FF #48, and quite a few other books.  Unfortunately the books in the showcase aren't 50% off.  A few years back they had multiple copies of FF#1 for less than a grand each.  I was told all of the copies got scooped up by one buyer.

I grabbed this picture off their website but it shows some of the keys they have in the store.  I also see them at local cons and they bring out some really nice books

Slide 15

that IH 181 has been in the front case forever

come to think of it i think that IH 181 used to be $1,300.

Edited by NoMan