• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else notice the number of Steven Hughes pages that have come to market?

12 posts in this topic

Since the beginning of the year, a bunch of Steven Hughes' pages have popped up for sale (they are not mine).  Has anyone else notice this?  Some of them are great examples of his work.  It is too bad that he passed and that Lady Death and Evil Ernie have started to fade from our consciousness.  I enjoyed the characters and Hughes' talent.  His style helped define "The Bad Girl" genre of comics that popped up in the time he was working with Pulido.  I met him once and he was an extremely nice person.  Glad to see those pages pop back into the market.

Edited by Lucky Baru

I always enjoyed Hughes work. A lot of his contemporaries/imitators were just garbage, which gave the Bad Girl "movement" a "bad" name. But I always thought his stuff was very solid. It was exaggerated and cartoonish, but there was a solid foundation holding it together. I'd love to have a page!

5 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

He was such a solid illustrator.  And his art looked great in chromium!

I felt the Hughes (Adam and Steven) ruled the roost during the bad girl craze. 

Now, how do I get ahold of his estate... ? :foryou:

Bill Ponseti has been buying large amounts of his Evil Ernie and Lady Death work over the last six months. from Pulido.

If you contact him via facebook he'll get back to you pretty quickly. 

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Bill Ponseti has been buying large amounts of his Evil Ernie and Lady Death work over the last six months. from Pulido.

If you contact him via facebook he'll get back to you pretty quickly. 

He has a few pieces thru his store also (and i believe more in his physical store)

https://www.fantasticworldscomics.com/

Edited by Hekla

2 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Yeah, I’ve seen those. Several on eBay too. Not my cup of tea. 

They aren't the prettiest, but they are a good mile-marker to that particular era of comics. 

The subject matter is even rougher, but they did change the path of comics in their time. 

15 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

They aren't the prettiest, but they are a good mile-marker to that particular era of comics. 

The subject matter is even rougher, but they did change the path of comics in their time. 

To each his own.