• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canadian Buyers/Dealers and Exchange
1 1

86 posts in this topic

The dollar fluctuations - it is what it is.  Par with the Greenback is great as a consumer - not ideal for the economy.  It is too low now - the sweet spot to me is in the $0.85 range - then we can still move goods to the US and not get killed buying comics.

Shipping wise - the service I use (in Niagara Falls, NY) has saved me a pile of money there.  Would recommend anybody who buys a lot of comics (or, anything) from the States look into options.

@lizards2 - buddy I wish Canada had free health care.  Boy do I wish that was true.  Instead I pay 54.5% marginal tax and live in a system that can best be summed up by "If you want to see a Cardiologist - have a heart attack"  Zero preventive medicine, hospital service inferior to many 3rd world countries.  Awful, awful situation.  Don' want to derail the thread or bring politics into it but our "Conservatives" are equivalent to most US liberals and our Liberals - the current Prime Minister would really like it if we started the day with a phrase akin to "Long Live Chairman Mao"...that pretty much sums it up...LOL.

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

If you are doing business with Guardian Comics you would have access to a lot of keys.  

Jim and Guardian are fantastic.  Got a lot of nice horror books on my last visit to Pickering!

On 3/26/2018 at 6:50 PM, shane1956 said:

No way around the pain. I find if you are in Canada looking for a particular book in high grade from a Canadian seller it can take years for it to happen. Even then I'm not convinced that there are lot of high graded keys of  particular book "floating" around Canada. For example, I wanted a Fantastic Four 48 in 9.2 or higher from a Canadian dealer/seller. The odds of that happening were slim . I'm sure a few copies may be in Canadian collections but by a few I mean near non existent. To get truly amazing high grade books I'm convinced that there is a very limited supply in Canada . It seems like every time I'm looking for a 9.2 I end up importing from the U.S . Over and over , year after year. 

There are plenty of OO and assembled HG collections in Canada. We see a few surface every year here in Alberta. I am primarily a collector but have been selling at shows locally since 1998 when I was in university (and on yahoo auctions and eBay since 1998) to get rid of the books I did not want from collection purchases, and there are plenty of HG books circulating. The difference now is that there are a much larger number of collector/dealer types like me chasing them so most of the HG books either end up in their collections or are sold online/via auction houses for $USD.

Edited by kimik

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:

Guardian Comics = High Grade Comics?

Saw the link on the Facebook page

Guardian Comics and I own a few collections together.

But we are always willing to work together to help you find something you need.

6 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Guardian Comics and I own a few collections together.

But we are always willing to work together to help you find something you need.

Which owner is prettier?

2 hours ago, roach04 said:

The dollar fluctuations - it is what it is.  Par with the Greenback is great as a consumer - not ideal for the economy.  It is too low now - the sweet spot to me is in the $0.85 range - then we can still move goods to the US and not get killed buying comics.

Shipping wise - the service I use (in Niagara Falls, NY) has saved me a pile of money there.  Would recommend anybody who buys a lot of comics (or, anything) from the States look into options.

@lizards2 - buddy I wish Canada had free health care.  Boy do I wish that was true.  Instead I pay 54.5% marginal tax and live in a system that can best be summed up by "If you want to see a Cardiologist - have a heart attack"  Zero preventive medicine, hospital service inferior to many 3rd world countries.  Awful, awful situation.  Don' want to derail the thread or bring politics into it but our "Conservatives" are equivalent to most US liberals and our Liberals - the current Prime Minister would really like it if we started the day with a phrase akin to "Long Live Chairman Mao"...that pretty much sums it up...LOL.

I was actually responding to someone Canadian's claim about "free healthcare".  One things is for certain in this world - nothing is free.

I remember when my mom and dad were snowbirding to Yuma, AZ, and they picked up a bunch of Canadian friends there, that were doing the same seasonal migration.  Apparently their friends were usually scheduling a lot of their healthcare in US or Mexico, because they couldn't get served in Canada.

3 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I was actually responding to someone Canadian's claim about "free healthcare".  One things is for certain in this world - nothing is free.

I remember when my mom and dad were snowbirding to Yuma, AZ, and they picked up a bunch of Canadian friends there, that were doing the same seasonal migration.  Apparently their friends were usually scheduling a lot of their healthcare in US or Mexico, because they couldn't get served in Canada.

I can tell you some nightmare hospital stories.Months worth. :cry:

Yes,I lived,but...

Just now, porcupine48 said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I can tell you some nightmare hospital stories.Months worth. :cry:

Yes,I lived,but...

You lived despite their best attempts to do you in?

Just now, lizards2 said:

You lived despite their best attempts to do you in?

It certainly felt like they were trying.

Seriously,they overdosed me,forgot me in a MRI machine for a long time,lost me in the hallway a few times...