• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HA May Auction, lots of great art !
3 3

486 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NinjaSealed said:

Price growth.... you can find plenty of stuff up 400% or more in that time frame. Looking at the HA archives there is plenty of stuff I would pay 4x sales from 2012/2013. 

2k a pop for the splashes, 1k each for the Spidey panel pages 300 a pop for the non Spidey pages plus a premium for “complete”....the price really isn’t surprising at all.

I agree. The JMS stuff is all 15+ years old now. His run was an integral part of Marvel's 2000's renaissance and is a no brainer for the nostalgia factor. Plus, it's JrJr ASM. 

Im not sure about it being complete adding to the price though.  Maybe. But I usually see the opposite happen with sold whole books.

15 minutes ago, Khazano said:

Im not sure about it being complete adding to the price though.  Maybe. But I usually see the opposite happen with sold whole books.

For sure not guaranteed, but I tend to think for a title like ASM or Batman there is potential for a premium. For Web of Spider-Man Or Batmam LODK I think it is a discount.

14 minutes ago, NinjaSealed said:

For sure not guaranteed, but I tend to think for a title like ASM or Batman there is potential for a premium. For Web of Spider-Man Or Batmam LODK I think it is a discount.

Sorry, I think complete books almost always have a discount compared to individual pages. 

Malvin 

3 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

Price growth.... you can find plenty of stuff up 400% or more in that time frame. Looking at the HA archives there is plenty of stuff I would pay 4x sales from 2012/2013. 

2k a pop for the splashes, 1k each for the Spidey panel pages 300 a pop for the non Spidey pages plus a premium for “complete”....the price really isn’t surprising at all.

I don't think people pay much of a premium for a complete story on the secondary market. For years people have been buying complete stories and breaking them up to sell individually at a profit. That feels , to me, like complete stories get a discount when bought. 

And, really, this is far more than 4 times the 2013 prices if you go quality for quality.

There were 17 or 18 of 22 pages with Spider-man in costume with most being action or battle or nice pose pages on the $5400 story. 

The story that just sold was ok, but far less Spider-man pages and no battle pages at all. It was probably half as good as the one that sold in 2013. 

If any page with Spidey on it is worth a grand now, that would mark about 100% bump in the last year or so from what I've seen sell. 

23 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I don't think people pay much of a premium for a complete story on the secondary market. For years people have been buying complete stories and breaking them up to sell individually at a profit. That feels , to me, like complete stories get a discount when bought. 

And, really, this is far more than 4 times the 2013 prices if you go quality for quality.

There were 17 or 18 of 22 pages with Spider-man in costume with most being action or battle or nice pose pages on the $5400 story. 

The story that just sold was ok, but far less Spider-man pages and no battle pages at all. It was probably half as good as the one that sold in 2013. 

If any page with Spidey on it is worth a grand now, that would mark about 100% bump in the last year or so from what I've seen sell. 

Frankly, I don't want a complete story. The cost would be too high when I can enjoy just a page or three.

And, I suspect while you can find a lot of people who would pay $1,000 for a good page, there aren't nearly as many who can afford $20,000. 

5 hours ago, comix4fun said:

I think for the majority of books(80%+) you would see a discount, for many reasons, but I do think premiums are possible. Impossible to really determine, but fairly obvious that not every book every time is ALWAYS going to sell at a discount. Specific books in specific price ranges it can happen. I can think of plenty of books if they were magically complete I would happily pay a 10-20% premium on what I thought the individual pages were worth. 

As far as Spider-man prices in general, the market is absolutely bonkers. Nothing cool that is Spidey related surprises me anymore.

Is the price strong? Of course. I just don't think a 20 year old JRJR ASM story selling complete for $20k is that crazy at this time in the market.

I put in several bids on that GA Batman page.  I really wanted it.  But when the live bid came up, I couldn't see going higher. :sorry:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/jim-mooney-batman-56-story-page-6-original-art-dc-1950-/a/7187-94674.s?type=bidnotice-outbid&fromEmail=1&login=1

6 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I tried to buy the Frazetta Devil Rider prelim earlier this year for $12,000 and the owner refused. The final price at $10,755 - a loss of $1245 from what I offered privately - is what happens when you get greedy.

But the hammer was 9k, minus any fees from that (maybe another 10%). So that's a loss of closer to 4k I think vs. your offer.

Just now, cstojano said:

But the hammer was 9k, minus any fees from that (maybe another 10%). So that's a loss of closer to 4k I think vs. your offer.

Yes. I wasn't thinking of that. Heh. The owner should have sold to me because he would have saved the fees and made a lot more. Oh well.

1 minute ago, Michael Browning said:

Yes. I wasn't thinking of that. Heh. The owner should have sold to me because he would have saved the fees and made a lot more. Oh well.

Auction fever can go both ways...

17 minutes ago, buyatari said:

Some high prices this time around for sure but little shocks me anymore. 

Except MCP 85.

Don’t understand that one at all. 

Ditto.

Heritage catalog cover effect? Is that THE definitive Kieth Wolverine piece?

As great as it is, an insane price.

15 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

Greed or perhaps he didn’t feel that he had a solid understanding of the market for the item. If you don’t understand the market how can you know if any offer is good or even a fair one? 

1 minute ago, buyatari said:

Greed or perhaps he didn’t feel that he had a solid understanding of the market for the item. If you don’t understand the market how can you know if any offer is good or even a fair one? 

He had a few of the Frazettas that were in this auction. I'm sure he understood the market just fine.

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Starlin Death of Captain Marvel page is still surprisingly low!

I think most collectors fear the "invisible ink" factor of how the artwork seems to get worst with age and may fade to obscurity.

I know a few collectors who owned art from that issue who decided to sell to avoid the future problems.

2 hours ago, cstojano said:

True, but fwiw, many times heritage will charge 0 or a negative sellers fee.